Geschichte Podcasts

Was ist mit dem University College von San Francisco passiert?

Was ist mit dem University College von San Francisco passiert?

1859 gründete Reverend George Burrowes das University College in San Francisco. Verwirrenderweise war es auch als City College bekannt. Burrowes machte Werbung für die Schule in der Zeitung Daily Alta California.

Zuerst in der Nähe der Innenstadt tätig, hatte es 1862 auch Land weiter südlich in einer grünen Wiese namens University Mound erworben. Der Bezirk wurde um das College herum angelegt, mit Straßen in einer Richtung, die alle nach berühmten Schulen (Dartmouth, Göttingen, Colby) und in der anderen nach Pädagogen, insbesondere Universitätspräsidenten (Timothy Dwight, Benjamin Silliman, Francis Wayland) benannt sind. Eine Karte von 1863 zeigt ein "University College Grounds":

Im Jahr 1864 wurde ein "Erlass zugunsten des Klägers" in Der Präsident und das Kuratorium des University College gegen die Kuratoren des City College of San Francisco. (Im Jahr 1935 gründete die Stadt an anderer Stelle ein Junior College, das zum modernen City College of San Francisco wurde.)

Im Jahr 1872 ging die medizinische Fakultät des University College ein Joint Venture mit der University of the Pacific ein, das The Medical College of the Pacific genannt wurde.

Mitte der 1880er Jahre scheint das College verschwunden zu sein. Im Jahr 1884 kaufte James Licks Anwesen 25 Hektar, darunter ein "College-Gebäude", um das Lick Old Ladies Home zu bauen, und 1885 ging ein Stausee hinein. Meine Freundin Elisa hat diese Karte ausgegraben:

Wann hat das University College den Campus der University Mound aufgegeben? Hat die Universität ihren Betrieb aufgegeben oder mit einer anderen Schule fusioniert?


Ich habe es geschafft, Online-Kopien des San Francisco Journal von George Burrowes, 1858-1875 (Herausgegeben von Charles A. Anderson und mit einer biografischen Skizze von Clifford M. Drury), die nun eine mehr oder weniger endgültige Antwort auf Ihre Frage geben könnte. Dies wurde in drei Teilen im Journal of the Presbyterian Historical Society veröffentlicht und kann auf JSTOR gelesen werden:

1. Rate:

  • San Francisco Journal of George Burrowes, 1858-1875, CHARLES A. ANDERSON und Clifford M. Drury, Journal of the Presbyterian Historical Society (1943-1961), Vol. 2, No. 33, Nr. 2 (Juni 1955), S. 93-119

2. Rate:

San Francisco Journal of George Burrowes, 1858-1875, CHARLES A. ANDERSON und Clifford M. Drury, Journal of the Presbyterian Historical Society (1943-1961), Vol. 2, No. 33, Nr. 3 (September 1955), S. 157-180

3. Rate:

San Francisco Journal of George Burrowes, 1858-1875, CHARLES A. ANDERSON und Clifford M. Drury, Journal of the Presbyterian Historical Society (1943-1961), Vol. 2, No. 33, Nr. 4 (Dezember 1955), S. 257-278

Sofern nicht anders angegeben, stammen die Zitate aus der Zeitschrift oder der dazugehörigen biografischen Skizze.


Hintergrund

Ich sollte vielleicht zuerst den Vorbehalt hervorheben, den Professor Drury in seiner biographischen Skizze macht:

Zweifellos schrieb Dr. Burrowes diese Erinnerungen mit Blick auf die Zukunft. Er war der letzte Teilnehmer der beschriebenen Szenen, der verstarb.

  • 2. Rate, S.157

Gründung des Kollegs

Die treibende Kraft hinter der Gründung des City College scheint Dr. W.A. Scott gewesen zu sein, der beim Board of Education Lobbyarbeit geleistet hatte:

eine qualifizierte Person beauftragen, eine presbyterianische Schule in Kalifornien zu eröffnen, in der Erwartung, dass eine solche Schule der Beginn eines Colleges sein würde.

  • Ebenda, S.159

Am 6. Oktober 1859, die Synode des Pazifiks:

nahm einige von Dr. Scott angebotene Beschlüsse an, die die Synode aufforderten, einen Regentenrat einzurichten, um ein Grundstück zu sichern, ein Gebäude zu errichten und andere Schritte zu unternehmen, die erforderlich sein könnten, um eine Schule mit Dr. Burrowes als Direktor zu führen.

  • Ebenda, S.160

Die Schule wurde 1859 gegründet, aber wie der Artikel feststellt,

Dr. Scotts starke Sympathie für den Süden zwang ihn schließlich im Frühherbst 1861, San Francisco zu verlassen.

  • Ebenda

(er war am Sonntag, den 22. September 1861 als Bildnis gehängt worden!) University College, San Francisco (obwohl es keineswegs eine "Universität" im modernen Sinne des Wortes war).

Obwohl das "neue" College ein unabhängiges Kuratorium hatte, hatte das bisherige Board of Regents

versuchte, die presbyterianische Verbindung zum College zu wahren, indem er in die Satzung die Anforderung schrieb, dass mindestens zwei Drittel der Treuhänder Mitglieder der Presbyterianischen Kirche sein müssen. Kein Artikel der Satzung konnte jedoch die Aufnahme von Männern als Treuhänder verhindern, die keine Ahnung hatten, was ein College sein sollte.

  • Ebenda, S. 162

Tatsächlich scheint es, dass Elemente innerhalb der Synode das Kollegium weiterhin als das Kollegium bezeichnen würden Presbyterianisches Stadtkolleg, obwohl ich in keiner anderen Quelle (sogar in Dr. Burrowes' Journal) einen Hinweis auf das College mit diesem Namen finden konnte.

Dr. William Alexander, der von 1871 bis 1875 als Rektor des City College angestellt war, würde rückblickend zur Verteidigung der Synode schreiben:

„Das Versagen lag nicht an den Ministern, sondern an vielen Laien, die noch nie auf einer Hochschule waren und nicht wussten, was eine Hochschule ist, und die dennoch zu selbstgefällig waren“, um sich von denen beraten zu lassen, die es wussten. Und obwohl sie Männer von Reichtum und hohem Ansehen in der Stadt waren, waren sie nicht liberal."

  • Ebenda

Erweiterung

Das College wuchs und erweiterte sich um mehrere Standorte oder Campus. Dazu gehörten das neue Gebäude am University Mound (das 1875 bei einem Brand zerstört wurde), das Gelände in der Halght Street und die Büros an der Ecke Stockton & Geary Street, die in ihren Anzeigen erwähnt wurden. Die Spannungen zwischen Dr. Burrowes und dem Kuratorium nahmen jedoch zu und gipfelten in seinem Rücktritt aus gesundheitlichen Gründen im Juni 1865, als er und seine Frau nach New York zurückkehrten.

Burrowes kehrte 1869 nach San Francisco zurück und nahm im Januar 1870 den Posten des Präsidenten des University Mound College (dies scheint kein separates College, sondern eine Abteilung oder ein Campus des University College in San Francisco gewesen zu sein) an 1872 von diesem Posten zurücktreten.

1872 wurde auch das University College gegründet Das Medical College of the Pacific als Joint Venture mit der University of the Pacific.

Es gibt einen Artikel, der die (kurze) Geschichte und die aktuelle Situation des Colleges in der Pacific Rural Press beschreibt, Band 5, Nummer 5, 1. Februar 1873. Dieser Artikel enthält ein Bild des Colleges, wie es damals war:

Es ist erwähnenswert, dass bis 1873 die Pacific Business College (die "älteste und beste Handelsschule an der Küste") war auch ein Teil des University College, San Francisco.


Das Gebäude des University Mound wurde am 5. April 1875 durch einen Brand zerstört (Daily Alta California, Band 27, Nummer 9134, 6. April 1875). Burrowes berichtet in seinem Tagebuch, dass seine Bibliothek (die er dem neuen Theologischen Seminar gestiftet hatte) kurz vor diesem Ereignis gewesen war:

in die Räume dieses Seminars im City College, Ecke Stockton und Geary Street, verlegt.

  • Zeitschrift, 3. Tranche, S. 277

Dies zeigt, dass das Seminar 1875 Räume am City College mietete.

Das College-Gebäude an der University Mound sollte nach dem Brand wieder aufgebaut werden.


Theologisches Seminar in San Francisco

Dr. W. A. ​​Scott war im Januar 1870 nach Kalifornien zurückgekehrt. Er und Dr. William Alexander leiteten 1871 eine Initiative zur Gründung des San Francisco Theological Seminary, und die Synode hatte ihren Plan im Oktober desselben Jahres angenommen.

Burrowes ist seit dem 4. Dezember 1871 als (unbezahlter) Leiter der Hebräischen Sprache und Literatur am Seminar verzeichnet. Er blieb in dieser Funktion bis 1890, als er emeritierter Professor wurde und in den Ruhestand ging. Es ist wahrscheinlich, dass sein Rücktritt von seinem Amt als Präsident des University Mound College nicht ohne Zusammenhang mit seiner Annahme dieser neuen Rolle stand.

Ich habe einen Hinweis gefunden unter Immobilienhinweise in der Daily Alta California, Volume 29, Number 9887, 3. Mai 1877, in der die Übertragung des Titels vom University College auf das San Francisco Theological Seminary eines Grundstücks auf der Südseite der Halght Street für die Summe von 12.000 US-Dollar aufgezeichnet wird.

Dieser Standort sollte die Heimat des Seminars sein, bis es 1892 auf seinen heutigen Campus in San Anselmo umzog.


Schließung des Kollegiums

In der biographischen Skizze von Professor Drury heißt es:

Das City College erlitt eine Zwangsvollstreckung und existierte 1881 nicht mehr.

  • 2. Rate, S.164

Das genaue Datum kann durch einen Artikel aus dem Jahr 1883 in der Pacific Rural Press Pacific Rural Press, Band 25, Nummer 22, 2. dass die Hochschule zu diesem Zeitpunkt noch existierte.

Die Beweise deuten jedoch darauf hin, dass das College finanzielle Probleme hatte (vielleicht aufgrund von finanziellem Missmanagement, obwohl Burrowes zu implizieren scheint, dass dies auf göttlichen Zorn zurückzuführen war, der aus der Behandlung des Colleges auf ihn resultierte, als er die Leitung hatte) und litt Zwangsvollstreckung irgendwann in den frühen 1880er Jahren.

Professor Drury sagt weiter, dass der damalige Präsident des University Mound College, Professor Gamble:

zog die University Mound School nach Lyton Spring, wo man sich bemühte, ein Presbyterian College zu organisieren, was jedoch fehlschlug.

  • Ebenda

Wie Sie bereits bemerkt haben, verhandelten die Treuhänder des Old Ladies' Home, dem der verstorbene James Lick 100.000 US-Dollar hinterlassen hatte, Anfang 1884 um Eigentum (eine Tatsache, die in der Die Stadt Abschnitt der Daily Alta California, Band 36, Nummer 12455, 23. Mai 1884).

Das deutet zusammen mit dem oben zitierten Zeitungsartikel darauf hin, dass die Zwangsvollstreckung wahrscheinlich um 1883/1884 geschah.


Wir können nicht sicher sein, was mit allen Vermögenswerten des University College in San Francisco nach der Zwangsvollstreckung passiert ist. 1888 veröffentlichte die Pacific Rural Press jedoch einen Nachruf auf James E. Wilson, der die folgenden Informationen enthielt:

Danach unterrichtete Herr Wilson fast zwei Jahre lang an Schulen in Neuengland. Im April 1867 kam er nach Kalifornien, seit dieser Zeit ist er bis vor kurzem aktiv im Lehrerberuf tätig. Seine ersten Erfahrungen als Lehrer in diesem Staat sammelte er an der McClure Military Academy in Oakland. Anschließend war er für zwei Jahre mit der Fakultät des City College verbunden, einer Bildungseinrichtung, die inzwischen zur University of the Pacific aufgegangen ist.

  • Pacific Rural Press, Band 36, Nummer 3, 21. Juli 1888 (meine Betonung)

Dies deutet darauf hin, dass zumindest einige Teile des University College / City College of San Francisco mit der University of the Pacific (die 1911 in College of the Pacific umbenannt und sich selbst umbenannt wurde) verschmolzen (oder wahrscheinlicher von ihr übernommen wurden). der University of the Pacific 1961).

Zu den offensichtlichen Kandidaten für die zusammengelegten Teile gehören die Medizinische Fakultät, Das Medical College of the Pacific, (die, wie Sie in der Frage erwähnt haben, tatsächlich als Joint Venture mit der University of the Pacific gegründet wurde, und die Pacific Business College.


Frage:
Was ist mit dem University College von San Francisco passiert? 1859 gründete Reverend George Burrowes das University College in San Francisco. Verwirrenderweise war es auch bekannt als Stadt College.

Kurze Antwort:

Der Rev George Burrowes gilt als einer der Gründer des San Francisco (Presbyterian) Theologisches Seminar(SFTS) oder City College oder Presbyterian City College.

Meine Recherchen haben den Namen "University College" nicht berührt, aber der Zeitungsausschnitt aus der Zeit in der ursprünglichen Frage setzt das City College und das University College gleich, also nehme ich das als gegeben hin.

Ich fand die SFTS-Vereinigung durch seinen unten angegebenen Grabstein und konnte dann bestätigen, dass die SFTS ursprünglich die Namen City College oder Presbyterian City College verwendet hat.

Das ist letztendlich Ihre Antwort.

Im Jahr 1890 zog das City College of San Francisco auf einen 14 Hektar großen Hügel in San Anselmo und änderte seinen Namen in San Francisco Theological Seminary (SFTS), wo es bis heute geblieben ist.

Theologisches Seminar in San Francisco
105 Seminarstraße
San Anselmo, CA 94960
415-451-2800


Einzelheiten:

Ich begann damit, nach der Grabstätte von Reverend George Burrowes zu suchen, um zu sehen, was sie mir sagen würde, und fand dies.

George Burrowes, D. D. 03.04.1811 - 19.04.1894 (im Alter von 83)

Ein dritter Name, der jemals in Erinnerung geblieben ist, als einer der Gründer der Theologisches Seminar in San Francisco ist der Name von Rev. Dr. George Burrowes. Er begann seine Dienste als Professor für hebräische Sprache und Literatur mit dem ersten Semester des Seminars, und fast ein Vierteljahrhundert lang setzte er seine bemerkenswerten Auslegungen der Heiligen Schrift und in der Manifestation eines schönen christlichen Lebens fort.

Dann habe ich nach San Francisco Theological Seminary gesucht und das hier gefunden

Im Jahr 1871 begann das SFTS (San Francisco Theological Seminary.) mit vier Professoren und vier Studenten, die sich zum Unterricht an der Presbyterianisches Stadtkolleg befindet sich auf dem heutigen Union Square. Sechs Jahre später zog das Seminar in ein eigenes Gebäude neben dem City College in der Haight Street.

Dann fing ich an, die Geschichte des SFTS zu recherchieren und fand ein Zitat, das das SFTS mit dem Presbyterian City College gleichsetzt.

Theologisches Seminar in San Francisco
Das Seminar wurde 1871 in San Francisco als Presbyterianisches Stadtkolleg.

Im Jahr 1890 zog das SFTS auf ein 14 Hektar großes Hügelgelände in San Anselmo um, wo es bis heute geblieben ist.


btw… James Lick, der das Haus der alten Dame geöffnet hat, war auch ziemlich interessant zu lesen.

James Lick
(25. August 1796 - 1. Oktober 1876) Zum Zeitpunkt seines Todes war er der reichste Mann Kaliforniens und hinterließ den Großteil seines Vermögens sozialen und wissenschaftlichen Zwecken.


Geschichte der UCSF

Eine der weltweit führenden Universitäten für Gesundheitswissenschaften, die University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), datiert ihre Gründung auf das Jahr 1864, als der Chirurg Hugh Toland aus South Carolina eine private medizinische Fakultät in San Francisco gründete.

Toland war 1849 in den Westen gekommen, um im kalifornischen Goldrausch sein Glück zu suchen, aber nach ein paar entmutigenden Monaten als Bergmann gründete er eine chirurgische Praxis im boomenden San Francisco. Als sein Reichtum und Einfluss wuchs, kaufte er Land in North Beach und eröffnete das Toland Medical College.

Die Affiliated Colleges, die sich ursprünglich an verschiedenen Standorten in San Francisco befanden, wurden auf einem Gelände mit Blick auf den Golden Gate Park – heute als Parnassus Heights bekannt – vereint.

Das College florierte, und Toland versuchte, sich der University of California anzuschließen, die 1868 ihren Campus in Berkeley eröffnet hatte. UC-Präsident Daniel Coit Gilman, der sich stark für die naturwissenschaftliche Bildung einsetzte, schuf einen Präzedenzfall für die junge Universität, indem er sich 1873 beiden anschloss Toland Medical College und das California College of Pharmacy. Acht Jahre später fügten die UC Regents ein zahnmedizinisches College hinzu.

Die drei Affiliated Colleges – auch UC Departments genannt – waren an verschiedenen Standorten in San Francisco angesiedelt und nach einigen Jahren bestand großes Interesse, sie zusammenzuführen. Der Bürgermeister von San Francisco, Adolph Sutro, spendete 13 Hektar auf einem Gelände mit Blick auf den Golden Gate Park – heute bekannt als Parnassus Heights – und die neuen Gebäude der Affiliated Colleges wurden im Herbst 1898 eröffnet.

Gründung eines akademischen medizinischen Zentrums

Als das große Erdbeben von San Francisco im April 1906 einen Großteil von San Francisco und die medizinischen Einrichtungen der Stadt zerstörte, suchten mehr als 40.000 Menschen Zuflucht und suchten Behandlung in einer Zeltstadt im Golden Gate Park, wo provisorische Freiluftkrankenhäuser eingerichtet wurden. Die Affiliated Colleges, die sich auf dem Hügel über dem Lager im damals äußersten Westen der Stadt befanden, befanden sich plötzlich in der Nähe einer bedeutenden Bevölkerung. Die Fakultät wurde aktiv, um die Verletzten des Erdbebens und des anschließenden Feuers zu behandeln.

Mehr als 40.000 Menschen suchten nach dem großen Erdbeben in San Francisco 1906 in einer Zeltstadt im Golden Gate Park Zuflucht und Behandlung.

Früheres Interesse an der Einrichtung eines UC-Lehrkrankenhauses am Standort Parnassus wurde als bürgerliche Verantwortung für die Versorgung in einem Gebiet, in dem es benötigt wurde, in Schwung gebracht. Diese Art von Engagement für den gemeinnützigen Dienst wurde durch eine Vereinbarung von 1873 von den Leitern der angeschlossenen Colleges mit der Stadt in Gang gesetzt, um die Patientenversorgung in ihrem öffentlichen Gesundheitskrankenhaus (später San Francisco General Hospital) zu gewährleisten.

Eines der Gebäude des Affiliated Colleges in Parnassus Heights wurde als stationäre, ambulante und zahnärztliche Einrichtung renoviert und im April 1907 mit 75 Betten eröffnet.

Mit dieser neuen Einrichtung entstand die Notwendigkeit, Krankenschwestern zu rekrutieren und Krankenpflegestudenten auszubilden. 1907 wurde die UC Training School for Nurses gegründet, die den Affiliated Colleges eine vierte Berufsschule hinzufügte. Um Platz für erweiterte klinische Dienstleistungen und Unterricht in Parnassus zu schaffen, zogen die grundlegenden naturwissenschaftlichen Fakultäten der medizinischen Fakultät – Pathologie, Anatomie und Physiologie – auf den Campus in Berkeley um.

Im Jahr 1911 begann das letzte Mitglied des indianischen Yahi-Stammes auf dem Campus von Parnassus zu leben. Er hungerte, als er die Wildnis in Oroville, Kalifornien, verließ und die Aufmerksamkeit der Anthropologen der UC auf sich zog, die ihn nach San Francisco brachten. Sie nannten ihn Ishi, für „Mann“ in der Yahi-Sprache. In den nächsten Jahren lernten UC-Ärzte und Anthropologen von Ishi die Yahi-Kultur kennen, und an den Wochenenden strömten Hunderte in das Anthropologiemuseum, um zu sehen, wie er das Pfeilmachen und andere Lebensfertigkeiten demonstrierte. Er lebte bis 1916 auf Parnassus, als er an Tuberkulose starb.


Universität von Kalifornien

Unsere Redakteure prüfen, was Sie eingereicht haben und entscheiden, ob der Artikel überarbeitet werden soll.

Universität von Kalifornien, System öffentlicher Universitäten in Kalifornien, USA, mit Standorten in Berkeley, Davis, Irvine, Los Angeles, Merced, Riverside, San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Barbara und Santa Cruz. Die Universität geht auf das 1855 in Oakland gegründete private College of California zurück. 1868 fusionierte das College mit dem Agricultural, Mining, and Mechanical Arts College (das 1866 als Land-Grant-Schule gegründet worden war) zur University of California. 1873 zog die Universität nach Berkeley. Im Laufe der Zeit wurden andere Schulen Teil des Systems. Ein 26-köpfiger Regentenrat regiert das System, das eine Gesamtzahl von etwa 200.000 Mitgliedern hat.

Berkeley, der Hauptcampus des Systems, hat etwa 33.000 Studenten. Seine 14 Schulen und Hochschulen umfassen solche für Optometrie, öffentliche Gesundheit, Sozialfürsorge, öffentliche Ordnung, natürliche Ressourcen, Journalismus und Umweltdesign und bieten rund 300 Studiengänge an. Als bedeutende Forschungseinrichtung betreibt es das Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center, das Energy Institute, das International Computer Science Institute und das Space Sciences Laboratory. Das System betreibt auch (im Rahmen eines Bundesvertrags) das nahegelegene Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. Der Campus verfügt über Museen für Kunst, Entomologie, Zoologie, Anthropologie und Paläontologie. Seine Fakultät hat viele angesehene Wissenschaftler, wie die Nobelpreisträger Luis W. Alvarez (Physik) und Glenn T. Seaborg (Chemie) umfasst.

Der Campus von Los Angeles (UCLA) wurde 1919 als Southern Branch der Universität gegründet und erhielt seinen heutigen Titel 1927. Als größter Campus des Systems sind etwa 35.000 Studenten am College of Letters and Science und an 11 Berufsschulen in den Bereichen eingeschrieben wie Medizin, Zahnmedizin, Krankenpflege, öffentliche Gesundheit, Recht sowie Ingenieurwissenschaften und angewandte Wissenschaften verfügt die weltberühmte School of Theatre, Film and Television über ein umfangreiches Archiv von Filmen, Wochenschauen und Fernsehprogrammen. Bachelor-Abschlüsse gibt es in etwa 120 Disziplinen, und Graduierten- und Berufsabschlüsse werden in 200 Bereichen angeboten. Die UCLA ist auch eine der führenden Forschungsuniversitäten des Landes, und zu ihren mehr als 140 Forschungsinstituten gehören das Southern California Earthquake Center, das Marine Science Center, das AIDS Institute und das Institute of Transportation Studies. Die Sportmannschaften der Universität haben mehr Meisterschaften der National Collegiate Athletic Association gewonnen als jede andere Schule des Landes, insbesondere unter dem Basketballtrainer der Männer John Wooden (1948-75). Bemerkenswerte UCLA-Athleten sind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Basketball), Arthur Ashe (Tennis), Evelyn Ashford (Leichtathletik) und Jackie Robinson (Baseball).

Der Campus von San Diego in La Jolla wurde als Marinestation gegründet und wurde 1912 Teil der Universität. Seine 10 Schulen und Abteilungen betreuen etwa 25.000 Studenten in Bereichen wie Medizin, Pharmazie sowie internationale Beziehungen und Pazifikstudien. Studenten schreiben sich an einer von sechs halbautonomen Wohnhochschulen ein. Zu seinen Forschungseinrichtungen gehören die Scripps Institution of Oceanography und das San Diego Supercomputer Center.

Der Davis Campus, eine Farm im Jahr 1908 und dann Teil des College of Agriculture der Universität, wurde 1959 zu einem allgemeinen Campus. Er bietet Bachelor- und Masterabschlüsse und umfasst Berufsschulen für Jura, Medizin, Veterinärmedizin und Management. Die Zahl der Einschreibungen beträgt etwa 28.000.

Der Campus in San Francisco, ursprünglich die medizinische Fakultät der Universität (1873), ist die kleinste Einheit des Systems. Sie verfügt neben der Medizin über Schulen für Krankenpflege, Zahnmedizin und Pharmazie und betreibt das Universitätsklinikum sowie verschiedene Kliniken und Forschungseinrichtungen. Auch das San Francisco Art Institute und das Hastings College of the Law, die beide der Universität angegliedert sind, befinden sich dort.

Der Riverside Campus, ursprünglich die Citrus Experiment Station (1907), wurde 1959 auch ein allgemeiner Campus. Er hat etwa 15.000 Studenten in Bildungs-, Ingenieur-, Management-, Natur- und Agrarwissenschaften sowie Geistes-, Kunst- und Sozialwissenschaften. Santa Barbara, 1891 als Lehrerkollegium gegründet, wurde 1944 Teil des Universitätssystems. Ungefähr 20.000 Studenten sind an Colleges für Literatur und Wissenschaft, kreative Studien und Ingenieurwissenschaften sowie an Berufsschulen für Pädagogik und Umweltwissenschaften und Management eingeschrieben.

Die Campusse in Santa Cruz und Irvine wurden beide 1965 gegründet. Santa Cruz verfügt über mehrere kleine Wohnhochschulen als Einheiten der Mutterhochschule. Mit rund 15.000 Studierenden bietet sie Abschlüsse in Geistes-, Geistes-, Sozial-, Natur- und Ingenieurwissenschaften. Es ist das Hauptquartier des Lick Observatory. Irvine hat Programme in 12 akademischen Einheiten, darunter Medizin, Ingenieurwesen, Informations- und Informatik und Sozialökologie. Es gibt etwa 24.000 Studenten. Der Bau auf dem 10. Campus des Systems bei Merced begann 2002 und wurde 2005 offiziell eröffnet.


Auf dem Lone Mountain lebt die Geschichte von SFs erstem Frauencollege weiter

8 von 27 Die Bibliothek des Lone Mountain College, auch bekannt als San Francisco College for Women, würde verschont bleiben, da ein massiver Erdrutsch Tonnen des Hügels vom College wegdrückte, 26. Dezember 1935 Foto vom 27.12.1935, S. 1 Die Chronik 1935 Mehr anzeigen Weniger anzeigen

9 von 27 Innenseite 27. Dezember 1935 Chronik-Artikel über einen riesigen Erdrutsch, der das San Francisco College for Women, das auf dem Lone Mountain gebaut werden sollte, knapp verfehlen würde. Die Chronik 1935 Mehr anzeigen Weniger anzeigen

10 von 27 Das Sprachlabor am Lone Mountain College, auch bekannt als San Francisco College for Women, 4. Juni 1960 Foto lief 05.06.1960, S. 15 Bill Young / The Chronicle 1960 Mehr anzeigen Weniger anzeigen

11 von 27 Joan Malcewicz absolviert das Ausbildungsprogramm für Krankenschwestern am Lone Mountain College, das seit Jahren als San Francisco College for Women bekannt ist, 25. Januar 1951 Barney Peterson / The Chronicle 1951 Mehr anzeigen Weniger anzeigen

12 von 27 Art Frisch / The Chronicle 1966 Mehr anzeigen Weniger anzeigen

13 von 27 Ein mobiles Radioisotopenlabor kommt auf dem Campus des Lone Mountain College an, das seit Jahren als San Francisco College for Women bekannt ist, 2. Februar 1966 Art Frisch / The Chronicle 1966 Mehr anzeigen Weniger anzeigen

14 vom 27. Januar, 10. Januar 1966 Chronik-Artikel über die Ankunft eines mobilen Labors mit Ausrüstung und radioaktiven Isotopen zum Unterrichten von Nuklearchemie und -physik am San Francisco College for Women, das auf dem Lone Mountain gebaut werden soll. The Chronicle 1966 Mehr anzeigen Weniger anzeigen

15 von 27 Mutter Olga Rossi, verantwortlich für die Entwicklung am Lone Mountain College, auch bekannt als San Francisco College for Women, 30. November 1961 Foto lief 04.12.1961, S. 63 Art Frisch / The Chronicle 1961 Mehr anzeigen Weniger anzeigen

16 vom 27. September 1964 Artikel in der Chronik über die geplante Erweiterung des San Francisco College for Women auf dem Lone Mountain. The Chronicle 1964 Mehr anzeigen Weniger anzeigen

17 von 27 Mary Cary Kelley, Mutter Gertrude Patch, Präsidentin des College) und Tracy Koon auf einem Bulldozer vor dem Spatenstich für eine neue Bibliothek am Lone Mountain College, das seit Jahren als San Francisco College for Women bekannt ist, 11. November 1966 Art Frisch / The Chronicle 1966 Mehr anzeigen Weniger anzeigen

18 von 27 Am Lone Mountain College, auch bekannt als San Francisco College for Women, wird ein neuer Kirchturm errichtet, 5. Dezember 1962 Foto lief 06.12.1962, S. 30 Barney Peterson / The Chronicle 1962 Mehr anzeigen Weniger anzeigen

19 von 27 The Chronicle 1978 Mehr anzeigen Weniger anzeigen

20 von 27 Ein majestätischer Blick auf das Lone Mountain College, auch bekannt als San Francisco College for Women, an dem Tag, an dem bekannt gegeben wurde, dass ich nach diesem Semester schließen würde, 1. Februar 1978 Foto vom 02.02.1978, S. 1 John Storey / The Chronicle 1978 Mehr anzeigen Weniger anzeigen

21 von 27 Lone Mountain College, seit Jahren bekannt als SanFrancisco College for Women, gibt seine Schließung bekannt, 2. Februar 1978 John Storey / The Chronicle 1978 Mehr anzeigen Weniger anzeigen

22 von 27 Lone Mountain College, seit Jahren als SanFrancisco College for Women bekannt, gibt seine Schließung bekannt, 2. Februar 1978 John Storey / The Chronicle 1978 Mehr anzeigen Weniger anzeigen

23 von 27 Lone Mountain College, seit Jahren bekannt als SanFrancisco College for Women, gibt seine Schließung bekannt, 2. Februar 1978 John Storey / The Chronicle 1978 Mehr anzeigen Weniger anzeigen

24 von 27 Lone Mountain College, seit Jahren als SanFrancisco College for Women bekannt, gibt seine Schließung bekannt, 2. Februar 1978 John Storey / The Chronicle 1978 Mehr anzeigen Weniger anzeigen

25 von 27 Der Chronicle-Artikel vom 28. April 1978 berichtet, dass der Campus des Lone Mountain College von der University of San Francisco (USF) gekauft wird The Chronicle 1978 Mehr anzeigen Weniger anzeigen

26 von 27 Lone Mountain College, seit Jahren als SanFrancisco College for Women bekannt, gibt seine Schließung bekannt, 2. Februar 1978 John Storey / The Chronicle 1978 Mehr anzeigen Weniger anzeigen

27. vom 27. 13. November 2013 Chronikartikel über das Lone Mountain College. Dies war Teil der Serie Hills of San Francisco von John King. The Chronicle 2013 Mehr anzeigen Weniger anzeigen

Der Campus Lone Mountain der University of San Francisco bietet atemberaubende Architektur und dramatische Ausblicke, aber jenseits der Schönheit steht ein bedeutendes historisches Wahrzeichen von San Francisco: das erste College der Stadt für Frauen.

Eine kürzliche Reise zum Archiv des Chronicle auf der Suche nach Fotos für einen nicht damit zusammenhängenden Auftrag ergab eine Fundgrube fantastischer Aufnahmen des Studentenlebens am San Francisco College for Women, das später zum Lone Mountain College wurde. Die Fotos zeigten den Bau der Schule in den frühen 1930er Jahren, ihre Erweiterung und die Nonnen und Studenten, die in den 1950er, 60er und 70er Jahren dort lebten und studierten.

Das San Francisco College for Women wurde vom Kloster der Religiösen des Heiligen Herzens gegründet, das 33 Hektar auf dem Lone Mountain kaufte, wo seit 1862 ein riesiges Kreuz stand. Das College wurde für mehrere hundert Frauen gebaut und umfasste einen kleinen Schlafsaal.

Gefällt Ihnen, was Sie lesen? Abonnieren Sie den Chronicle Vault-Newsletter und erhalten Sie zweimal pro Woche klassische Archivgeschichten in Ihrem Posteingang.

Lesen Sie Hunderte von historischen Geschichten, sehen Sie Tausende von Archivfotos und sortieren Sie die Titelseiten des klassischen Chronicle aus 154 Jahren unter SFChronicle.com/vault.

&bdquoIn San Francisco gab es einen bemerkenswerten und beklagenswerten Mangel an Möglichkeiten für die Hochschulbildung von Frauen, die Rt. Pfr. Monsignore Joseph M. Gleason, ein Professor des Klosters, erzählte The Chronicle. &bdquoEs gab keine einzige Institution in San Francisco, an der eine Frau einen akademischen Grad erwerben konnte.&rdquo

Das College bot eine rigorose Ausbildung &mdash einschließlich einer Fremdsprachenanforderung, die zu dieser Zeit üblich war. &bdquoAmerikas neue Vorstellungen von strengeren akademischen Standards holen endlich die Ansichten der Nonnen ein, die auf dem Lone Mountain lehren„ James Benet schrieb 1963 in einem Chronicle-Artikel. Die Schule testete auch ein neues Sprachlabor &ndash &ldquoin in dem die Schüler durch Hören und Sprechen und nicht durch Lesen und Schreiben lernen.&rdquo

Einige der Professoren waren selbst Nonnen und fast alle mit Doktortitel. Als 1966 ein mobiles Labor, das vom Oak Ridge Institute of Nuclear Studies gesponsert wurde, seinen 16-Tonnen-Transporter mit Ausrüstung für eine Woche am Lone Mountain parkte, war Mutter Mary Janet Kubitschek &mdash, die in Chemie promoviert hatte &mdash begeistert und vielleicht versucht. &bdquoWenn wir doch nur einen Weg finden könnten, alles zu stehlen und hier zu behalten!&ldquo dachte sie einem Chronicle-Reporter nach.

Aber es war genau ein radikaler Campus, den Benet 1963 feststellte.

In den frühen 1960er Jahren wurde das College erweitert, einschließlich der Einrichtung von Wohnheimen für mehr als 200 Studenten.

1969 wurde die Schule dann Studentin und änderte ihren Namen in Lone Mountain College. Das hielt lange an und ging 1977 zurück auf Frauen - nur noch und verlagerte seinen Bildungsschwerpunkt.

&bdquoWir entschieden uns für eine andere Art der Bildung für Frauen&ldquo mit einem Schwerpunkt auf Naturwissenschaften und Mathematik, sagte Hochschulpräsident Berndt Kolker. &bdquoWir haben neue Rollen für Frauen angenommen, brauchten eine andere Art von Bildung.&rdquo

Die Änderung war jedoch genug. Die Schule gab bekannt, dass sie im Februar 1978 durch einen Verkauf an die Universität von San Francisco geschlossen werden würde.


Was ist mit dem University College von San Francisco passiert? - Geschichte

Der Geist, das Außergewöhnliche zu schaffen, ist an der University of Silicon Valley lebendig. Tatsächlich liegt es in unserer DNA. Dies ist seit 1888 so, als Dr. Henry USV die Türen zur University of Silicon Valley in San Francisco öffnete. Dr. USV glaubte, dass der beste Weg zum Lernen das Tun ist – eine Hymne, die wir immer noch begrüßen.

USV wurde am 3. März 1820 in Tolland, Connecticut, geboren und war ein Mann mit Visionen und herausragendem Erbe. Die Familie USV stammte von Alfred dem Großen und Karl dem Großen ab und wanderte 1635 aus England nach Amerika aus. Dr. USV pflegte sein Familienwappen und sein Motto, „Nec Sperno Nec Timeo“, was so viel bedeutet wie „Ich verachte und fürchte mich nicht.“ Wie seine Vorfahren zu den Pionieren Amerikas zählten, war auch Dr. USVs Leben ein Pionier- und Dienstleben.

Henry D. USV hatte eine bescheidene Kindheit. Für den jungen USV war es notwendig, in jungen Jahren in den Baumwollspinnereien in Neuengland zu arbeiten. Nach einem Arbeitstag in den Mühlen verbrachte er die Abendstunden mit Lesen, Schreiben und Rechnen. Schließlich wurde er Lehrer, aber nach einem Jahr entschied er sich, in den Zahnarztberuf einzusteigen. Upon completion of his training at the age of 26, Dr. USV began the practice of dentistry in Providence, Rhode Island.

In 1846, Dr. USV married Caroline E. Richards, daughter of Ruel Richards, a manufacturer in Providence. When gold was discovered in California, Dr. USV followed the pioneering urge he inherited from his ancestors. He left for California by sea and after 152 days aboard the clipper ship “Susan G. Owens” landed in San Francisco on October 12, 1849. Rather than enter the rugged and uncertain business of mining, he practiced dentistry and established a mercantile business in the mining region.

After several successful years of dental practice and real estate investments and buoyed by his ever-present strength of purpose, Dr. USV became one of San Francisco’s first millionaires. Dr. USV was a pioneer in his profession as well. In 1847, he designed the vacuum method of securing dental plates. In 1853, he performed the first dental operation in California using chloroform.

On March 19, 1887, Dr. and Mrs. USV executed a trust deed setting apart real property (valued at approximately one million dollars) to establish and endow University of Silicon Valley. It was, as far as is known, the first school of its kind west of the Mississippi River. The purpose of the College as a charitable trust is well expressed in the words of Dr. USV in his presentation address to the first Board of Trustees, which he and Mrs. USV had selected. It is remarkable that his reference to the immediate need for technical training is as true now as it was at that time. He spoke, in part, as follows:

“Educated working men and women are necessary to solve the great labor problems that will arise in the future. For the purpose of this education, there is room and need for technical schools in all quarters of our country. For the purpose, then, of providing boys and girls of the state a thorough training in mechanical arts and other industries, we have made the grant, as set forth in these papers, providing for the founding and maintaining of University of Silicon Valley.”

The school was opened in August 1888 as a high school with well-equipped departments of technical education for boys and business education for girls. The school operated in this capacity until June 30, 1930, when its status was changed to that of a technical college offering a college-level two-year programs in Engineering Technology, Safety Management and Architecture, granting Associate and Bachelor degrees.

The College has had six campuses during its history. The first building, occupied in 1888, was located in the Mission District in San Francisco, California. When the 1906 earthquake partially destroyed the campus, a new building was built across the street at 26th and Folsom Streets. It was occupied in 1917. In 1974, the College purchased and moved to a location at Stockton and California Streets and converted the interior to classrooms, laboratories, shops and other facilities, including a 200-seat auditorium. The building's original exterior features were preserved. The building was named a San Francisco city landmark in 1984 and placed on the list of Architecturally Significant Structures. In 1985 University of Silicon Valley again relocated, this time to Bubb St. in Cupertino - a city within the Silicon Valley. The previous building became the Ritz Carlton San Francisco. In 1994, the College moved to Bordeaux Drive in Sunnyvale, CA where it remained until 2015 when it moved to its current location in North San Jose.


City College of S.F. avoids deep cuts for now, but long-term future is cloudy

A rally outside Mission High School last week protests proposed cuts to City College of San Francisco.

Carlos Avila Gonzalez/The Chronicle Show More Show Less

Student protesters call out trustees of City College of San Francisco, who authorized sending pink slips to more than 600 full- and part-time instructors to help close a $35 million shortfall.

City College of San Francisco and its faculty union headed off drastic layoffs and class cuts for at least a year over the weekend, after marathon negotiations meant to stave off the largest downsizing in the school&rsquos history.

Hundreds of full- and part-time instructors represented by the American Federation of Teachers Local 2121 who expected to be without a job next fall now have until Monday afternoon to ratify a one-year contract that includes pay cuts and other, undisclosed concessions.

&ldquoThis tentative agreement means that in the fall, City College classes will be open for our students,&rdquo said Malaika Finkelstein, the union president.

City College trustees approved pink slips for 163 full-time faculty members in March, setting off weeks of protests by students and faculty members. More than 440 part-time instructors also were set to be let go.

Altogether, the reductions were expected to lead to the loss of 600 classes next fall, eliminating or drastically reducing entire fields of study, including Cantonese, women&rsquos and gender studies, Philippine studies, and fashion.

Alex Combs (left) and Kistina Lee talk before a rally at Mission High School against proposed cuts to City College of San Francisco.

Carlos Avila Gonzalez/The Chronicle

City College is facing a $35 million deficit and planned to eliminate much of that with faculty layoffs and cuts to salaries and benefits, Vice Chancellor Tom Boegel said.

In broad terms, the new agreement reduces the projected deficit by $22.6 million with salary cuts and additional, unspecified &ldquosalary savings&rdquo and retirement savings.

City College officials declined to comment on details of the agreement, including how many courses will be cut, until it is ratified.

Finkelstein said the proposal ensures that most of the classes that would have been eliminated will be offered in fall.

&ldquoThat still leaves a longer-term problem &mdash a big problem,&rdquo she said. &ldquoSo we still need more investment if we&rsquore going to serve the community of San Francisco.&rdquo

Faculty members and the college&rsquos Board of Trustees are looking to city supervisors for long-term help. They would like to see the college receive ongoing funding from the city, as the San Francisco Unified School District does.

City College has lost thousands of students in recent years but has been unwilling to shrink classes and fire faculty to match the new reality, according to fiscal monitors.

One report last month found that the college risks going broke in part because it spends too much on salaries and benefits &mdash up to 98% of its general fund, compared with a statewide average at community colleges of 88.8%. The April 7 assessment from the state&rsquos Fiscal Crisis and Management Assistance Team echoed audits and concerns from an accrediting commission that placed City College on &ldquoenhanced monitoring&rdquo in October for its financial problems.

But many instructors reject these reports, saying the 86-year-old college needs more funding and a campaign to bring students back.

&ldquoThis is a struggle over the soul of public education,&rdquo said Marcy Rein, co-author of &ldquoFree City: The Fight for San Francisco&rsquos City College and Education for All,&rdquo which tracks the college&rsquos successful effort to fend off accreditors who tried from 2012 to 2017 to close the financially troubled school.

Rein has joined students and faculty to speak out against the cuts, which they say would cause people of color to suffer most because they represent more than 80% of City College students.

While the college and the faculty have reached an agreement this year, both sides recognize that it&rsquos only a short-term solution to a long-term problem.

For a decade, state lawmakers have been transforming California&rsquos 116 community colleges into vehicles for full-time students to transfer to a university or earn a vocational certificate. They have stopped funding colleges based on enrollment alone, and have created a &ldquostudent-centered funding formula&rdquo to reward schools that increase the number of students who earn associate degrees and certificates, transfer to a university, speedily complete transfer-level math and English courses, and earn career education units.

City College is one of 29 community colleges still funded according to enrollment alone because they are far from achieving the goals. The protection expires in 2024.

Activists say City College should be exempted from the new funding system because most of those enrolled are not recent high school graduates or full-time students. Many are parents, immigrants, formerly incarcerated people, former foster youth and senior citizens.

Full-time students have not topped 10% of enrollment for at least 30 years, even when the college reported more than 100,000 students in 2008, records show. Current enrollment is about 55,000 students. Just 2,955 of them studied full time last year, and only 796 of those were fresh out of high school.

Reshaping City College &ldquofails to really, truly understand the classes that bring most benefit,&rdquo Vick Van Chung, a student and nonvoting member of the Board of Trustees, told The Chronicle.

Boegel, the vice chancellor, said that in the long run, the college has no choice. &ldquoWe have to acknowledge the reality of the (forthcoming) student-centered funding formula,&rdquo he said.

CCSF nursing student Julia Quon attends Zoom Cantonese class. CCSF had planned to eliminate the Cantonese program, but a last-minute agreement saved many faculty jobs and programs.

Scott Strazzante/The Chronicle

At 25, Julia Quon is a more typical student. She is a 2019 graduate of UC San Diego and is taking her prerequisites for a nursing degree she&rsquoll complete at a university. She also studies Cantonese, one of the offerings that was set to be eliminated. Quon and many other students need Cantonese for work, and it remains unclear whether the classes will survive under the new agreement.

Quon is a doula at San Francisco General Hospital, where many patients speak Cantonese. A classmate, Angela Wisco, is an emergency medical technician who was the only member of her ambulance team who could communicate with a patient during a recent ride.

&ldquoThere was a huge uproar&rdquo in the Zoom class the other evening when students learned that Cantonese faces elimination, Quon said. She and classmates quickly formed Save Cantonese at CCSF.

&ldquoI felt it was another act of anti-Asian hate,&rdquo she said of the planned cuts.

On Thursday, before the tentative agreement with faculty was reached, protesters largely representing Black and Asian American and Pacific Islander solidarity took their anti-cuts message outside the San Francisco home of Tom Temprano, a member of the Board of Trustees.

He wasn&rsquot there, but said in an interview that he agreed with the protesters. He added, &ldquoThis is what student activists should do when they feel their school is in trouble.&rdquo


San Francisco Will Spend $600,000 to Erase History

The school board has voted to destroy public murals by a New Deal-era Communist.

Ms. Weiss is a writer and editor for the Opinion section.

SAN FRANCISCO — More than $8,000. That was the amount John Ashcroft’s Justice Department spent on blue curtains to cover up the busty Spirit of Justice statue and her bare-chested male equivalent, the Majesty of Law, in the department’s Great Hall in 2002. The Victorian move against the Art Deco sculptures spurred a thousand lampoons. “A blue burqa for justice ,” my colleague Maureen Dowd memorably called it. In The Harvard Crimson, a young Pete Buttigieg wrote, “It seems odd that an infant is supposed to feed on them, and a grown man is expected at some point to behold them, but for a period in between we feel the need to see to it that no child ever sees a breast.”

I wonder, then, what Mr. Buttigieg, now on the presidential campaign trail, would make of the San Francisco school board ’s unanimous decision on Tuesday night to spend at least $600,000 of taxpayer money not just to shroud a historic work of art but to destroy it.

By now stories of progressive Puritanism (or perhaps the better word is Philistinism) are so commonplace — snowflakes seek safe space! — that it can feel tedious to track the details of the latest outrage. But this case is so absurd that it’s worth reviewing the specifics.

Victor Arnautoff, the Russian immigrant who made the paintings in question, was perhaps the most important muralist in the Bay Area during the Depression. Thanks to President Franklin Roosevelt’s Works Progress Administration, he had the opportunity to make some enduring public artworks. Among them is “ City Life ” in Coit Tower, in which the artist painted himself standing in front of a newspaper rack conspicuously missing the mainstream San Francisco Chronicle and packed with publications like The Daily Worker.

Arnautoff, who had assisted Diego Rivera in Mexico, was a committed Communist. “ ‘Art for art’s sake’ or art as perfume have never appealed to me,” he said in 1935. “The artist is a critic of society.”

This is why his freshly banned work, “ Life of Washington ,” does not show the clichéd image of our first president kneeling in prayer at Valley Forge . Instead, the 13-panel, 1,600-square-foot mural, which was painted in 1936 in the just-built George Washington High School, depicts his slaves picking cotton in the fields of Mount Vernon and a group of colonizers walking past the corpse of a Native American.

“At the time, high school history classes typically ignored the incongruity that Washington and others among the nation’s founders subscribed to the declaration that ‘all men are created equal’ and yet owned other human beings as chattel,” Robert W. Cherny writes in “Victor Arnautoff and the Politics of Art.”

In other words, Arnautoff’s purpose was to unsettle the viewer, to provoke young people into looking at American history from a different, darker perspective. Over the past months, art historians, New Deal scholars and even a group called the Congress of Russian Americans have tried to make exactly that point.

“This is a radical and critical work of art,” the school’s alumni association argued. “There are many New Deal murals depicting the founding of our country very few even acknowledge slavery or the Native genocide. The Arnautoff murals should be preserved for their artistic, historical and educational value. Whitewashing them will simply result in another ‘whitewash’ of the full truth about American history.”

Such appeals to reason and history failed to sway the school board. On Tuesday, it dismissed the option to pull an Ashcroft and simply cover the mural s, instead voting unanimously to paint them over.

One of the commissioners, Faauuga Moliga, said before the vote on Tuesday that his chief concern was that “ kids are mentally and emotionally feeling safe at their schools. ” Thus he wanted “the murals to be painted down.” Mark Sanchez, the school board’s vice president, later told me that simply concealing the murals wasn’t an option because it would “allow for the possibility of them being uncovered in the future.” Destroying them was worth it regardless of the cost , he argued at the hearing, saying, “This is reparations.”

These and other explanations from the board’s members reflected the logic of the Reflection and Action Working Group , a committee of activists, students, artists and others put together last year by the district. Arnautoff’s work, the group concluded in February, “glorifies slavery, genocide, colonization, Manifest Destiny, white supremacy, oppression, etc.” The art does not reflect “social justice,” the group said, and it “is not student-centered if it’s focused on the legacy of artists, rather than the experience of the students.”

And yet many of the school’s actual students seemed to disagree. Of 49 freshmen asked to write about the murals, according to The Times, only four supported their removal. John M. Strain, an English teacher, told The Times’s Carol Pogash that his students “feel bad about offending people but they almost universally don’t think the answer is to erase it.”

Which makes one wonder who these bureaucrats actually seek to protect. Is it the students? Or could it also be their reputations, given that those in favor of preserving the murals are being smeared as racists?

“In my entire life, no one has ever, ever accused me of being a ‘white supremacist,’” Lope Yap Jr., a filmmaker and the vice president of the alumni association, told me. But if you buy into the expansive notion of “white supremacy” put forward by Alison Collins, one of the board commissioners, that is exactly what Mr. Yap, who is Filipino , is. “One of the earmarks of white supremacy culture is valuing (white) property over (Black & Brown) ppl,” Ms. Collins recently wrote on Twitter. “I think about this when I read comments from folks arguing to ‘protect’ the ‘Life of Washington’ murals.”

Mr. Sanchez, the board vice president, told me: “A grave mistake was made 80 years ago to paint a mural at a school without Native American or African-American input. For impressionable young people who attend school to have any representation that diminishes people, specifically students from communities that have already been diminished, it’s an aggressive thing. It’s hurtful and I don’t think our students need to bear that burden.”

The implications of this logic are chilling. What happens when a student suggests that looking at photographs of the My Lai massacre in history class is too traumatic? Should newspapers avoid printing upsetting images that illuminate the crisis at the border, like the unforgettable one of Óscar Alberto Martínez Ramírez and his 23-month-old daughter, Valeria, facedown, drowned in the Rio Grande?

All are fair game for censorship in a worldview that insists that words and images are to be judged based on how “safe” they make people feel.

“If K-12 schools start to provide top-down total protection from the emotional pain of confronting uncomfortable ideas — like what actually happened in real American history — we should not be at all surprised when these people go on to college campuses and then, into the work force, and demand the same sort of comforts: safe spaces, trigger warnings, microaggression prevention, and so on,” said Robby Soave, the author of “Panic Attack: Young Radicals in the Age of Trump.” He added: “That’s not on them. That’s on us.”

The notion of erasing art has an American pedigree. Arnautoff was intimately familiar with it, having been interrogated in 1956 by the House Un-American Activities Committee for drawing a caricature of Vice President Richard Nixon. But I suspect he would have been surprised to learn that more than 60 years later, progressives in charge of educating San Francisco’s children are merrily following this un-American playbook.

Bari Weiss (@bariweiss), a staff writer and editor for the Opinion section, is the author of the forthcoming “How to Fight Anti-Semitism.”


A History of UCSF

Well before individual practitioners succeeded in organizing themselves into professional societies, the needs of the public’s health prompted official government action on behalf of the San Francisco citizens. The task of removing the seriously ill or indigent from the streets and the threat of major epidemics prompted the city to provide for hospital care, first in tents and board sheds under supervision of contracting physicians. In 1850 a state bill appropriated $50,000 to build a State Marine Hospital in San Francisco.

Meanwhile, in 1851 the U.S. Congress created a U.S. Marine Hospital in San Francisco, which was completed in 1853 and provided accommodations for an additional 500 patients. In 1855 the State Marine Hospital building was transformed into the City and County Hospital of San Francisco, supported by fees collected by a public health officer who inspected every vessel that entered the port.

In 1854, six Sisters of Mercy arrived from Ireland. They won praise for cleaning up the hospital environment after a series of scandals over poor care and for nursing patients through cholera and smallpox. The Sisters of Mercy stayed in San Francisco and continued to provide hospital care in a setting that eventually became St. Mary’s Hospital. By 1857 the City and County Hospital was located in the former North Beach School at the southwest corner of Francisco and Stockton Streets. In order to help relieve crowding, in 1867 the city of San Francisco built a large almshouse near Laguna Honda on eighty acres of city-owned land on the western side of Twin Peaks. The following year the city created a 24-bed smallpox isolation hospital on the Laguna Honda grounds.

In 1858 California surgeon Elias Samuel Cooper organized the Medical Department of the University of the Pacific with a board of trustees consisting of ten clergymen and three physicians. The first session opened in May 1859, with a class of ten attending lectures in materia medica, chemistry, physiology, anatomy and medical jurisprudence. Dr. Cooper's death in 1862 brought confusion to the new school, and in 1864 the Pacific Medical faculty "suspended" activities and joined Dr. Hugh Toland in his efforts to found a viable medical school in San Francisco.

As San Francisco's population continued to grow, Hugh Toland's influence and wealth also increased, earning an estimated $40,000 per year. In 1864, he decided to establish a medical school in San Francisco and purchased land for that purpose in North Beach, at Stockton and Francisco, opposite the San Francisco City and County Hospital. A handsome building was soon completed, and Toland Medical College was open for enrolment. Clinical instruction and dissecting experience were the centerpieces of Toland's educational program, reflecting his training and experience in Parisian hospitals where clinical findings were carefully correlated with autopsy results.

The school catalogue reflected Toland's insistence on the importance of clinical instruction. Lectures were given at San Francisco City and County Hospital

where a "senior student examines the patient announces the diagnosis and prognosis and views about treatment before class, discussion follows, complete clinical histories are kept and there are broad opportunities for autopsies." Just a month after classes began, the state of California approved a dissection law permitting pauper bodies to be studied by accredited physicians, thus opening the way for Toland students to gain experience doing dissection.

Toland's first class consisted of eight students, mostly drawn from the Cooper Medical College. The faculty of this lapsed medical college were asked to serve on the Toland roster, and Drs. Levi Cooper Lane, Henry Gibbons, Sr., and John F. Morse joined the faculty with some ambivalence. Significantly, R. Beverly Cole, the Dean and professor of obstetrics and diseases of women and children at Cooper, was not asked by Toland to join his new faculty.

The Toland Medical College quickly prospered. Its faculty of eight offered two four-month courses costing $130 and leading to the degree of doctor of medicine. In the valedictory address to the first graduating class of Toland Medical College in 1865, Toland urged his graduates to devote a portion of every day to the study of monographs and medical journals to remain professionally competitive. While boasting that he had built and furnished the school with his own resources, Toland also made a direct pitch to the new alumni to help their alma mater by supplying medical books. "When success crowns your efforts," he urged, "contribute in proportion to your ability and prepare a niche in this institution which will bear your names and transmit them to posterity."

R. Beverly Cole returned from a tour of Europe in 1867 and was appointed Surgeon General of the State of California in recognition of his valuable public health efforts. As a member of the Outside Lands Committee of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors, Cole became a well-known figure in the city's political arena. He supported the establishment of Golden Gate Park on the western edge of the city. Cole simultaneously persuaded the local health board to condemn the old City and County Hospital building, and a new institution was planned at Potrero Nuevo, a site nearly four miles southeast of Toland's College. The impression among San Francisco's medical fraternity was that Cole had finally achieved his revenge for Toland's past rebuffs by weakening the College's vital link to the world of clinical medicine. Eventually, however, Dr. Cole would join the Toland medical faculty and become instrumental in the affiliation negotiations with the University of California.

By 1870, Toland Medical College had a class of thirty students and had already granted diplomas to forty-five graduates. In that year, Toland sought to affiliate his medical school to the University of California, which itself was not yet two years old. In March 1873, the trustees deeded the Toland Medical College to the University of California Regents and the faculty minutes for the first time bore the heading, "The Medical Department of the University of California."

R. Beverly Cole became the dean and twenty-seven students were enrolled in the first class. Toland's donation was appraised at the time at $100,000 in buildings, lands, and instructional equipment, a gift that substantially increased the holdings of the young state university. On September 15, 1874, the regents adopted a resolution stating that "young women offering themselves for admission and passing the required examination must be received to all the privileges of the Medical Department." Responding to this new policy, schoolteacher Lucy Wanzer matriculated and in 1876 became the first female graduate of the Medical Department of the University of California. Many other young women followed her precedent, among them Mayor Adolf Sutro's daughter. In the subsequent five decades, roughly 10 percent of each graduating class was female, far in advance of the national average of 4 percent.


The greatest college basketball team ever in the Bay Area, or anywhere

Share this:

In its infancy, college basketball was low, slow and disjointed.

It goes without saying that there was no March Madness beaming college hoops to the four corners of the country. There were no ubiquitous brackets, and no killjoys telling people, “I don’t care about your brackets.”

There was no between-the-legs dribble, no 3-point line stretching the game almost to the shadow of half court. Dunks were neither competitive nor cultural statements.

The game was played on the floor, in short shorts. There was no shot clock. Because, why? There was no “One Shining Moment” with confetti wafting down from the ceiling after a championship game. The team manager packed away the uniforms and everyone headed for the bus. And that was that.

Then came the University of San Francisco Dons.

College basketball may have gotten off to a slow start, but it was always going to be the game we know now. You could argue USF was the transformative outfit that gave it a huge shove toward its manifest destiny.

Before USF, only three college teams had won back-to-back postseason tournaments — Oklahoma State and Kentucky in the NCAA Tournament, and St. John’s in the NIT.

Only one, the 1938-39 Long Island University Sharks, posted a perfect record.

Almost no one played above the rim so frequently and insistently, as did the Dons. Give them credit, they warned a sea change was in the offing.

During the 1953-54 season, coach Phil Woolpert promoted a certain Bill Russell from the school’s JV squad to the varsity. Russell, a sophomore from Oakland’s McClymonds High, had intended to get a job at the shipyards after high school. Fate intervened when USF alum Hal DeJulio, who had seen Russell playing basketball, recommended the lad to Woolpert.

Russell was still growing when he reported to the Dons’ varsity, from 6-foot-8 as a freshman to 6-9 as a sophomore and topping out at 6-10 as a senior. With Russell averaging 19.9 points and 19.2 rebounds, the Dons finished 14-7 in his first season on the big club.

The Dons’ 1954-55 season opened with optimism and back-to-back games in Southern California — a nine-point win over Loyola Marymount, followed by a seven-point loss to John Wooden’s UCLA Bruins.

In hindsight there are two developments that elevate this game. One, the myth-making hype machine that went into overdrive so as to deliver Russell’s revelatory exploits to a breathless world. From the Oakland Tribune account for that game in Westwood:

“San Francisco’s towering 6-foot-9-inch center Bill Russell played a sort of one-man volleyball (game) under the basket, blocked innumerable Bruin shots and kept two Bruins occupied at a time most of the night. However, he was outscored by Bruin forward John Moore, 17 points to 15 points.”

And two, it was the last college basketball game Bill Russell would ever lose.

USF tore undefeated through the rest of the regular season, winning 19 of the 20 games by double digits. They eased through the two first postseason games. Then came a rematch with Oregon State. The two teams had met early in the season at Kezar Pavilion in Golden Gate Park, with USF winning handily, 60-34. The second game, in Gill Coliseum on the OSU campus, went down to the wire.

With 13 seconds left in the contest and USF up 57-53, Oregon State’s Swede Halbrook, at 7-foot-3 the tallest basketball player in the country, sank two free throws.

USF called a time out. But the Dons’ K.C. Jones was assessed a technical foul for shoving before the ball was inbounded. Halbrook, buried the free throw to make it a 57-56 nailbiter.

Oregon State guard Ron Robbins misfired on a set shot. The rebound wound up in a jump ball between Halbrook and Jones. The tip was batted into the air. Russell directed the loose ball to USF team captain Hal Perry who secured it until the final horn.

The championship game figured to be a clash of titans — USF and its 19-game win streak against defending NCAA champion LaSalle in Kansas City.

Russell came out firing, scoring 18 points in the first half. Kansas coach Phog Allen said at halftime that Russell’s performance was the most exciting he had ever seen in his career of 45 years.

Russell finished with 23 points. But it was Jones who led the Dons with 24 points and held La Salle’s 24-point-per game forward Tom Gola to six field goals.

After the 77-63 victory Russell said, “I played on the greatest team in the world, and we defeated the best team we ever played against.”

Back in the Bay Area a gala luncheon was quickly planned for the team in the Gold Room of the Fairmont Hotel. Tickets were $3.25. The Dons’ breakthrough season: Priceless.

There was only one way for the USF basketball team to improve on its 1954-55 tour de force: Another title and an undefeated record.

That seemed to be the expectation. Prior the 1955-56 season, the Dons were picked by the United Press board of coaches to win the national title again. Russell was placed on Sports Magazine’s preseason all-NCAA team.

Their first test was a rematch of the 1955 title game against La Salle in the Holiday Festival Tournament in the heady environment of New York City’s Madison Square Garden. Woolpert assured reporters that his players were not overconfident. “As for winning another NCAA championship,” he told newsmen, “there are so many factors involved that you can’t forecast what will happen.”

What happened in the La Salle game was fairly predictable. Without the Gola — he had graduated — La Salle lost by 17. One game later, the Dons met UCLA, the only team to beat them. It was another 17-point romp for the Dons.

Sports Illustrated was in attendance during the Holiday Tournament and was dead impressed with the No. 1 player on the No. 1-rated team in the country dating to the previous Feb. 8.

“For almost a year college basketball has been dominated as never before by a man who, basically, cannot shoot,” wrote SI’s Roy Terrell. “His name is Bill Russell and if he ever learns to hit the basket someone is going to have to revise the rules.

“From the moment, as an almost unknown junior, Russell began to lead the University of San Francisco into national prominence last season, people have been writing and talking about this amazing string bean and his phenomenal feats.”

The Garden was packed to the rafters to see Russell. The crowds were cool to him at first. But:

“As the tournament progressed and San Francisco moved steadily ahead into the finals, the looks of doubt and derision changed into looks of incredulity and awe,” Terrell wrote. “For the things which Russell can do he does superlatively well, perhaps better than anyone in college basketball has ever done them before. All the words they had read had not really prepared the crowd for Bill Russell.

History was made on Jan. 28, 1956. USF was 39-0 and poised to break what Bay Area newspapers called the “modern collegiate” record of 39 successive victories. As fate would have it, the opponent was Cal, coached by Pete Newell. He took the air out of the ball. This was a feature of mid-century basketball. With no shot clock, underdogs would simply hold the ball. The strategy helped Cal build a 13-3 lead.

According to the Oakland Tribune, “USF fans booed and jeered.” The Dons put on a full-court press and took a modest lead. Even then, with USF ahead 26-21, Cal’s reserve center Joe Hagler held the ball, just stood there, for 7:40. USF played keepaway to record the 33-24 victory — the team’s 40th win in a row.

USF ran the table from there with a string of double-digit victories leading up to the NCAA championship game.

The newsreel, ubiquitous in that era, featured an enthused narrator who opined that the Dons were “on the threshold of the greatest sports story of the century.”

First they fell behind 15-4 to No. 4 Iowa, But Russell was too much for the Hawkeyes, scoring 26 points and grabbing 27 rebounds. The narrator called Russell “the Babe Ruth of basketball.”


San Francisco supervisor says his car was broken into outside City Hall

San Francisco Supervisor Ahsha Safai speaks during a news conference outside City Hall on Tuesday, June 26, 2018, in San Francisco.

Eric Risberg / Associated Press

San Francisco Supervisor Ahsha Safai's car was broken into outside City Hall on Tuesday, the supervisor tweeted.

Safai represents the city's 11th Supervisorial District and said the break-in happened while he was calling attention to a rise in property crime across the city.

"Ironically, as this was happening outside of City Hall, I was calling for a hearing to review the rise of shoplifting and theft in our small businesses and anchor stores such as Walgreens, Safeway and CVS," he tweeted. "We cannot just turn a blind eye."

My car was broken into right in front of City Hall on Tuesday pic.twitter.com/a1aJKJhFo0

&mdash Ahsha Safai 安?&ndash輝 (@Ahsha_Safai) March 11, 2021

A wave of burglaries in San Francisco has prompted some businesses to hire armed security guards, and home burglaries are also rising, the San Francisco Chronicle has reported. (SFGATE and the San Francisco Chronicle are both owned by Hearst but operate independently of one another.)

The increase in crime has led to dissatisfaction with San Francisco District Attorney Chesa Boudin, who is now the target of a recall campaign. Organizers received a green light from the city's Department of Elections to begin gathering signatures. The recall needs 51,000 signatures by mid-August to be successful.


Schau das Video: EF San Francisco, California, USA Info Video (Dezember 2021).