Geschichte Podcasts

Wo in einer Stadt würde eine Kathedrale gebaut werden?

Wo in einer Stadt würde eine Kathedrale gebaut werden?

Ich erschaffe ein Dorf im mittelalterlichen Stil in einem Videospiel, das ich entwickle. In dem Versuch, so genau wie möglich zu sein, habe ich die Grundform gotischer Kathedralen studiert und bin zu einem ziemlich guten Verständnis gekommen. Eine Sache, die ich jedoch nicht herausfinden konnte, ist, wo genau in den Städten sie gebaut wurden? Waren sie im Allgemeinen in der Nähe des Stadtzentrums? Ich weiß, dass ich gelesen habe, dass Kapitelhäuser in der Nähe gebaut werden, aber wie nah?

Jede Info wäre dankbar, danke.


Um zu verstehen, wo eine Kathedrale platziert werden könnte, ist es wichtig, die Funktion und Geschichte von Kathedralen zu verstehen.

Beachten Sie, dass die Geschichte wahrscheinlich von vielen verschiedenen Faktoren abhängt und für verschiedene Orte unterschiedlich ist (wie auf der Wikipedia-Seite angegeben):

„… Kathedralen wurden in der westlichen katholischen Kirche erst im 12. Jahrhundert universell“

Ich werde meine Antwort auf Kathedralen in England und Schottland beschränken.


In England und Schottland haben archäologische Untersuchungen gezeigt, dass die meisten Kathedralen an den Standorten früherer Kirchen gebaut wurden (die meisten stammen aus der angelsächsischen Zeit, einige jedoch mit früheren Ursprüngen). Beispiele wären Canterbury, Durham, Glasgow, Rochester und Winchester.

Im Allgemeinen wurde der Standort der Kathedrale daher durch den Standort der bereits bestehenden Kirche bestimmt. Der Standort dieser Kirche könnte auch durch eine Reihe von Faktoren bestimmt werden, war aber im Grunde ein Geschenk des angelsächsischen Königs. Bei weitem nicht alle diese Kirchen befanden sich in Städten.

Sobald eine Kirche gebaut war, bildeten sich um sie herum Siedlungen. Eine Kirche, die am Rande einer Siedlung gebaut wurde, könnte sich in der Nähe des Zentrums befinden, wenn sich die Siedlung um sie herum ausdehnte.


Nach der normannischen Eroberung Englands präsidierte der neue Erzbischof von Canterbury, Lanfranc, 1075 den Rat von London, der eine bedeutende Umstrukturierung der Kathedralen in England anordnete:

Durch die Dekrete der Päpste Damasus und Leo sowie durch die Konzile von Sardica und Laodizea, wonach es verboten ist, dass Bischöfe in Dörfern sitzen sollten, wurde es den Städten durch königliche Gunst und die Befugnis des Konzils gewährt, den vorgenannten drei Bischöfen die Auswanderung zu gewähren von Villen zu Städten - Hermann von Sherborne bis Old Sarum, Stigand von Selsey bis Chichester, Peter von Lichfield bis Chester.

  • Gee & Hardy, Dokumente zur Veranschaulichung der englischen Kirchengeschichte, S. 54-55

Durch päpstliches Dekret durften Kathedralen nicht mehr in Villen untergebracht werden. Dies bedeutete 1075, dass Stigand, Bischof der Südsachsen, seinen Sitz von Selsey nach Chichester verlegen musste; Hermann der Bischof von Wiltshire und Dorset musste seinen Sitz von Sherborne nach Salisbury verlegen und Peter, der Bischof von Mercia, musste seinen Sitz von Lichfield nach Chester verlegen.

Dies war ein offensichtlicher und unmittelbarer Anreiz für den Ausbau der neuen Domkirchen in diesen Städten!

  • Die neue Kathedrale von Chichester wurde 1108 geweiht.

  • Die Kathedrale von Salisbury wurde auf einem von Richard Poore gespendeten Grundstück wiederaufgebaut. Der Grundstein wurde am 28. April 1220 gelegt.

  • Der Sitz des Bischofs von Mercia befand sich von 1075 bis 1082 in der Kirche St. John the Baptist in Chester. 1082 wurde der Sitz nach Coventry verlegt, wo er bis 1539 schließlich in die Kathedrale von Lichfield verlegt wurde. (Die heutige Chester Cathedral war zuvor die Abteikirche eines Benediktinerklosters, das 1093 an dieser Stelle gegründet wurde.)


Wie oben erwähnt, gewährten sächsische Könige Land, um die Kirche und ihre Bezirke zu errichten. Dies war selten das „beste“ oder am besten geeignete Grundstück für den Bau einer großen Kathedrale! Frühe Kirchen waren ziemlich kleine Gebäude. Einige mögen im Vergleich zu anderen Gebäuden um sie herum relativ groß gewesen sein, aber nicht so groß wie die Kathedralengebäude, die wir heute sehen!

Die Orte bereiteten den mittelalterlichen Dombauern oft erhebliche Probleme (von den Problemen, die die Orte ihren modernen Gegenstücken, den Domkonservatoren, deren Aufgabe es ist, zu verhindern, dass diese Gebäude einstürzten, noch immer verursacht werden!).


Etwa die Hälfte der Kathedralen in England wurde von Mönchsorden regiert. Der Prior des Klosters war auch Dekan der Kathedrale. Der Rest wurde von weltlichen Kanonikern geleitet, die jeweils von einem weltlichen Dekan geleitet wurden.

Wie zu erwarten war, war der Leiter der Kathedrale ein wichtiger Faktor bei der Bestimmung ihres Standorts (und ihrer Geschichte). Klöster sammelten im Laufe des Mittelalters riesige Mengen Land durch Vermächtnisse an, und wie dieses Land genutzt wurde, wurde von den Klöstern selbst bestimmt.

Der Wikipedia-Artikel Historische Entwicklung der Diözesen der Church of England enthält weitere Informationen, die Sie diesbezüglich möglicherweise interessieren könnten.


Fast alle Kathedralen wurden nach der normannischen Eroberung erweitert und erweitert. Das bedeutete neben der Vergrößerung des Kirchengebäudes oft auch eine Erweiterung des Domplatzes. Dies wiederum beinhaltete die Entfernung der Menschen, die das Pech hatten, im Weg zu stehen.

Ein bemerkenswertes Merkmal der Stadtarchitektur nach der Eroberung in England ist, dass strategische Orte, wie Der Hügel, wurden oft dafür verwendet Die Burg. Sie standen daher selten für den Bau von Domkirchen zur Verfügung!

In der Dissertation The Old in the New: Urban Castle Imposition in Anglo-Norman England, AD1050-1150 von Michael Fradley aus dem Jahr 2011 wurde das Thema ausführlich behandelt.


Schließlich war die Kathedrale der Sitz des Bischofs. Das bedeutet jedoch nicht, dass es auch sein Hauptwohnsitz war.

Seit der normannischen Eroberung Englands unterhielten viele - vielleicht die meisten - Bischöfe große und prächtige Paläste. Diese Bischofspaläste befanden sich oft außerhalb ihrer Diözese. Ein bemerkenswertes Beispiel ist hier der Palast in Southwark, am Südufer der Themse gegenüber der City of London, der ab etwa Mitte des 12. Jahrhunderts von den Bischöfen von Winchester unterhalten wurde.

  • Bildquelle Wikimedia, Foto von Mike Peel, CC-BY-SA-4.0.

Der Hügel.

Der stärkste Agent wird The Hill als das am besten zu verteidigende Terrain bezeichnen.

Der Hügel wird normalerweise von der vorherigen religiösen / sozialen Organisation heilig oder weltlich sein.


Geschichte & Erbe

Grundsteinlegung der St. Patrick’s Cathedral, c. 1860er Jahre


Die Geschichte von New Yorks großer Kathedrale spiegelt die Geschichte der Stadt selbst wider. Geschaffen, um den Aufstieg der Religionsfreiheit und Toleranz zu bekräftigen, wurde die St. Patrick’s Cathedral im demokratischen Geist erbaut, nicht nur durch die Beiträge Tausender armer Einwanderer, sondern auch durch die Großzügigkeit von 103 prominenten Bürgern, die jeweils 1.000 US-Dollar zugesagt haben. Die St. Patrick’s Cathedral beweist die Maxime, dass keine Generation eine Kathedrale baut. Es ist vielmehr eine Art fortwährendes Gespräch, das Generationen von Vergangenheit, Gegenwart und Zukunft verbindet.

Der Grundstein der St. Patrick's Cathedral wurde 1858 gelegt und ihre Türen wurden 1879 geöffnet. Es war vor über 160 Jahren, als Erzbischof John Hughes seinen inspirierten Ehrgeiz verkündete, die „neue“ St. Patrick’s Cathedral zu bauen.

In einer Zeremonie in der Old St. Patrick's Cathedral schlug Erzbischof Hughes vor, „zur Ehre des allmächtigen Gottes, zur Ehre der Seligen und Unbefleckten Jungfrau, zur Erhöhung der Heiligen Mutter Kirche, zur Würde unseres alten und herrlichen katholischen Namens, eine Kathedrale in der Stadt New York zu errichten, die unserer wachsenden Zahl, Intelligenz und unserem Reichtum als religiöse Gemeinschaft würdig sein mag und auf jeden Fall als öffentliches Baudenkmal der gegenwärtigen und zukünftigen Kronen dieser Metropole würdig ist dem amerikanischen Kontinent.“

Als "Hughes' Torheit" verspottet, da der vorgeschlagene, fast wilde Ort als zu weit außerhalb der Stadt angesehen wurde, beharrte Erzbischof Hughes dennoch auf seiner gewagten Vision, die schönste gotische Kathedrale der Neuen Welt zu bauen, wie er glaubte eines Tages „das Herz der Stadt“ sein. Weder das Blutvergießen des Bürgerkriegs noch der daraus resultierende Mangel an Arbeitskräften oder Geldmitteln würden die endgültige Erfüllung von Hughes’ Traum und Architekt, James Renwicks kühnen Plan, zunichte machen.


„The Fair“, um Geld für die Eröffnung von St. Patrick’s zu sammeln, fand vom 22. Oktober bis 30. November 1878 statt. Es war die größte kirchliche Messe, die jemals in den USA abgehalten wurde.


Ursprünglicher Landkauf

Das Land an der Fifth Avenue, wo heute die St. Patrick's Cathedral steht, wurde von der Jesuitengemeinde der katholischen Kirche gekauft. Die Jesuitenkongregation war ein Orden, der sich auf Bildung, Forschung und andere verschiedene Aktivitäten konzentrierte. Auf deren Anordnung wurde das 1810 erworbene Land für den Bau eines Kollegs und einer Kapelle verwendet.

Die Jesuiten verkauften das Land 1814 an die Zisterzienserorden der strengen Observanz in der Geschichte auch als französische Trappisten bekannt. Als Napoleon 1815 die Macht zu verlieren begann, hielten die Trappisten es für sicher, ohne weitere religiöse Verfolgung nach Frankreich zurückzukehren. Die Trappisten verließen das Anwesen an der Fifth Avenue. Jahrelang blieb die Kapelle an der Fifth Avenue geschlossen.

Schließlich wurde die Kapelle auf dem Grundstück an der Fifth Avenue in den 1830er Jahren vom New Yorker Bischof John Dubois wiedereröffnet. Die Gemeinde geriet bald in finanzielle Schwierigkeiten und wegen eines inkompetenten Kuratoriums wurde das Anwesen 1844 versteigert.[3] Eine Kirche zu verlieren war verheerend für die Gemeinde, die sie unterstützte. Ein junger Priester namens Pater Michael A. Curran kämpfte hart, um Geld zu sammeln, um die Kirche zurückzukaufen. Pater Curran arbeitete mühelos bei der Beschaffung von Geldern und konnte schließlich die Kapelle und das Grundstück, auf dem sie stand, zurückkaufen. Da die Gemeinde weiter wuchs, wurde eine größere Kirche benötigt. Als sich der anhaltende Anstieg der katholischen Einwanderer in ganz New York City ausbreitete, wurde der Standort der Kirche für den Bau der neuen St. Patrick's Cathedral ausgewählt.


Wo in einer Stadt würde eine Kathedrale gebaut werden? - Geschichte

Die Geschichte von Markhams gewaltiger Kathedrale der Verklärung

Bleiben Sie auf dem Laufenden

Die Kathedrale der Verklärung hebt sich von ihrer Umgebung in Markham ab.

Hoch in einer ruhigen Gegend nördlich des Major Mackenzie Drive und des Highway 404 gelegen, sind seine drei Türme und riesigen Glocken ein Anblick zwischen den Reihen identischer Häuser, die es umgeben.

Ähnlich wie die Architektur und das Design der Kathedrale ist ihre Geschichte kompliziert und kann bis ins Jahr 1984 datiert werden.

Baubeginn 1984

Laut ihrer Website steht die Kathedrale der Verklärung auf einem Land, das einst Teil von Romandale Farms Inc. war.

Der Besitzer, Stephen B. Roman, war ein führender Züchter und Aussteller von Holsteinkühen in Nordamerika.

Papst Johannes Paul II. beim Besuch der Kathedrale der Verklärung während des Baus am 15. September 1984. Foto über die Kathedrale der Verklärung.

Als gebürtiger Slowake, der nach Kanada einwanderte, spendete Roman das Land, um die Kathedrale zu bauen, damit sie „als Leuchtfeuer der Religionsfreiheit für seine Mitslawen dienen konnte, die damals unter der repressiven Dominanz der ehemaligen Sowjetunion ohne Religionsfreiheit lebten“.

1984 wurde mit dem Bau der Kathedrale begonnen, deren Eckstein und Altarstein von Papst Johannes Paul II. bei seinem Besuch im selben Jahr gesegnet wurden. Dies war auch das erste Mal, dass ein römischer Papst eine Kirche in Nordamerika segnete.

Leider erlebte Roman die Verwirklichung seiner Kathedrale nicht mehr, da er 1988 im Alter von 66 Jahren an einem Herzinfarkt starb. Nach Angaben der Kathedrale der Verklärung nahmen über tausend Menschen an seiner Trauerfeier teil, die im unvollendete Kathedrale.

Nach Romans Tod wurde sein Vermächtnis an seine Tochter Helen und ihre Stiftung der Slowakischen Griechisch-Katholischen Kirche weitergegeben.

1990 besuchte der erste Präsident einer demokratischen Tschechoslowakei – nach dem Sturz des kommunistischen Regimes – die Kathedrale. Es wurde ein Treffpunkt und ein Zeichen der Hoffnung für die Slowaken in Kanada und zurück in Europa.


Kathedrale von La Plata, Kern einer neuen Stadt: eine Geschichte der Städte in 50 Gebäuden, Tag 11

Im Jahr 1880 erlebte Argentinien eine besonders turbulente politische Zeit. Die Provinzen im Landesinneren – verärgert über die Position von Buenos Aires sowohl als Bundeshauptstadt als auch als Hauptstadt der wohlhabenden Provinz Buenos Aires – wollten den Sitz der nationalen Regierung ins Landesinnere verlegen, aber mächtige Interessen wollten nicht nachgeben.

Argentiniens politische Führung einigte sich schließlich auf einen Kompromiss: Buenos Aires als Bundeshauptstadt zu belassen, aber als autonomen Bezirk von der Provinz zu trennen. Obwohl der Plan den langwierigen Konflikt beenden wollte, wurde er dadurch erschwert, dass keine andere Stadt groß genug war, um die neue Provinzhauptstadt zu werden. Die Lösung? Baue eine neue Stadt von Grund auf.

Die Standortwahl fiel dem Provinzgouverneur Dardo Rocha zu, der den Ingenieur Pedro Benoit rekrutierte. Sie wählten einen Standort etwa 50 Kilometer südöstlich der Stadt Buenos Aires, gerade weit genug entfernt, um der neuen Metropole eine eigene Identität zu verleihen.

Im Gegensatz zu dem nahe gelegenen Buenos Aires, dessen krummes Straßenmuster schwer zu kategorisieren ist, wäre Benoits Stadt – La Plata – ein perfektes quadratisches Raster von 36 mal 36 Blöcken. Alle sechs Blocks wurden Straßen zu Alleen für den schnelleren Verkehr verbreitert und dort, wo sich Alleen kreuzten, Plätze oder Kreisverkehre platziert. Die Aufteilung des Rastermusters waren zwei Hauptdiagonalen, die von den Ecken des Rasterplans ausgehen und im absoluten Zentrum der Stadt zusammenlaufen. Dort wurde ein größerer öffentlicher Platz errichtet, der zur Keimzelle des bürgerlichen Lebens werden sollte. Und genau in seinem Herzen plante Benoit ein Wahrzeichen aus Prüfstein – die Kathedrale von La Plata, die mit hoch aufragenden gotischen Türmen gekrönt werden sollte.

Der quadratische Rasterplan von La Plata

Das hoch aufragende gotische Design der Kathedrale wurde von Rocha ausgewählt, der es als den reinsten Ausdruck des göttlichen Willens ansah. Laut Eduardo Karakachoff, Mitglied des Naturschutzvereins Defendamos La Plata (Defend La Plata) lag die Kathedrale aufgrund der zentralen Rolle der Religion im öffentlichen Leben im Zentrum der Stadt. „Es symbolisierte den Glauben, dass alle Mitglieder der Gesellschaft Gott gleich nahe sind“, sagt Karakachoff.

Der Masterplan von La Plata markierte einen bedeutenden Wendepunkt in der Stadtplanung in Argentinien. Während frühere Entwürfe von den Gesetzen Indiens geprägt waren, die von der spanischen Monarchie erlassen wurden, spiegelte Benoits Plan eine säkularere Haltung gegenüber der Regierung wider. Die Kathedrale wurde auf der den Regierungsgebäuden der neuen Hauptstadt gegenüberliegenden Seite des zentralen Platzes platziert – eine Anerkennung der Trennung von Kirche und Staat, die die angemessene Rolle beider Einheiten erleichtern sollte.

Nach dem Spatenstich für die neue Stadt im Jahr 1882 wurden der Straßenplan und die Regierungsgebäude schnell gebaut. Aber der Fortschritt der Kathedrale war viel langsamer. Neben komplexen Entwürfen, die den Bau verlangsamten, wurde das Projekt 1884 durch Rezession und politische Umwälzungen behindert. Fast 50 Jahre später, 1932, schließlich eröffnet, fehlte der Kathedrale ein wichtiges Merkmal: die charakteristischen Türme. Vielen schien es, als würde Benoits ursprüngliche Vision nie Wirklichkeit werden.

Unterdessen war die Stadt selbst mit einer ähnlichen Krise konfrontiert. Nachdem der Optimismus von La Plata aus den 1880er Jahren nachgelassen hatte, geriet der Bau in einen Einbruch. Obwohl die Einführung von Elektrizität und fließendem Wasser in der gesamten Neustadt als technologisches Wunder galt, führte der Mangel an ständigen Einwohnern dazu, dass viele La Plata als überwucherte Geisterstadt betrachteten. Im Jahr 1890 bemerkte der französische Besucher Thèodore Childe: „Die Stadt hat alles außer Einwohnern und einen Grund zu existieren.“

Trotz späterer Bemühungen, die Stadt zu beleben, wie zum Beispiel ein neuer Universitätscampus im Jahr 1905, dauerte es den größten Teil des 20. Jahrhunderts, bis La Plata diesen Ruf erschütterte. In der zweiten Hälfte des Jahrhunderts wurde La Platas Status als herausragende Planstadt Südamerikas durch den Bau der neuen brasilianischen Hauptstadt Brasilia in den Schatten gestellt. Aufgrund seines größeren Maßstabs und der treuen Einhaltung der städtebaulichen Prinzipien von Le Corbusier und seinem brasilianischen Schützling Oscar Niemeyer erlangte Brasilia schnell internationale Anerkennung als die Zukunft des Städtebaus. Bei aller internationalen Aufmerksamkeit, die La Plata beim Bau erhalten hatte – darunter zwei Goldmedaillen auf der Weltausstellung 1889 in Paris – wirkte sein fußgängerfreundlicheres Design nun wie ein Relikt einer vergangenen Zeit.

Die Kathedrale im Bau 1910. Die Türme wurden erst in den 1990er Jahren fertiggestellt. Foto: Alinari Archives/Getty Images

Aber La Plata sollte eine Renaissance erleben, die dramatisch beginnen sollte. 1987 wurde eine politische Kundgebung vor der Kathedrale La Plata unterbrochen, als eine große Glasscheibe aus dem Gebäude brach und auf einem Stuhl zerbrach, auf dem nur Sekunden zuvor der Gouverneur von Buenos Aires gesessen hatte. Dies erzeugte den politischen Willen, nicht nur die verfallende Kathedrale zu reparieren, sondern auch die beiden Türme zu bauen, die sich der Schöpfer der Stadt vor über 100 Jahren vorgestellt hatte. Der Bau begann 1997, und 1999 wurde die Kathedrale schließlich vor 150.000 Menschen eröffnet – mit Türmen und allem.

Inzwischen ist auch die Stadt selbst gereift und hat sich zu einer Metropole mit eigener Kultur entwickelt. Heute Platten (Einwohner von La Plata) sind stolz auf ihre Identität als respektvoll, buchstäblich und lebenslustig, wenn auch etwas weniger laut als ihre Nachbarn in Buenos Aires.

Während La Plata einst Schwierigkeiten hatte, neue Bewohner anzuziehen, sind es jetzt möglicherweise zu viele, und viele der ursprünglichen Gebäude wurden durch Hochhaustürme ersetzt, die oft ohne angemessene Berücksichtigung der Entwässerung gebaut wurden. Derzeit besteht die größte Bedrohung nicht für die Kathedrale, sondern für viele andere historische Gebäude der Stadt. Außerdem wurde ein großer Teil des Eukalyptuswaldes, den Dardo Rocha bei der Gründung der Stadt unbedingt retten wollte, jetzt gerodet, um Platz für ein privates Fußballstadion zu schaffen.

Defendamos La Plata hat sich besonders für die Bewahrung des Erbes der Stadt eingesetzt. Karakachoff sagt, dass die Entwicklung seit der Einführung einer neuen Bauordnung im Jahr 2010 „völlig außer Kontrolle“ sei. Im April 2013, drei Jahre nach der Verabschiedung der neuen baufreundlichen Bauordnung, wurde La Plata von einer verheerenden Flut mit Todesopfern erschüttert das würde letztendlich 89 Menschen erreichen. Die Stadtverwaltung behauptete, dass die Katastrophe angesichts der intensiven Regenfälle nicht hätte vermieden werden können. Aber Defendamos La Plata und andere sind der Meinung, dass die ungebundene Entwicklung, insbesondere im historischen Kern von La Plata, das Entwässerungssystem der Stadt unnötig belastet hat.

Obwohl der monumentale Status der Kathedrale es unwahrscheinlich macht, dass sie jemals der Abrissbirne gegenübersteht, könnte ihre Positionierung und Sichtbarkeit in der ganzen Stadt gefährdet sein, wenn die kleineren Wohnsiedlungen um sie herum durch Hochhäuser ersetzt werden.


Wo in einer Stadt würde eine Kathedrale gebaut werden? - Geschichte

Die Metropolitan-Kathedrale Mariä Himmelfahrt ist der Sitz der katholischen Erzdiözese Mexiko. Es befindet sich auf dem ehemaligen heiligen Bezirk der Azteken in der Nähe des Templo Mayor an der Nordseite der Plaza de la Constitución (Zócalo) in der Innenstadt von Mexiko-Stadt. Die Kathedrale wurde in Abschnitten von 1573 bis 1813 um die ursprüngliche Kirche herum gebaut, die kurz nach der spanischen Eroberung von Tenochtitlan erbaut wurde und sie schließlich vollständig ersetzte. Der spanische Architekt Claudio de Arciniega plante den Bau und ließ sich von gotischen Kathedralen in Spanien inspirieren.

Aufgrund der langen Bauzeit von knapp 250 Jahren waren praktisch alle bedeutenden Architekten, Maler, Bildhauer, Vergolder und andere bildende Künstler des Vizekönigreichs irgendwann am Bau der Anlage beteiligt. Dieselbe Bedingung, die seiner langen Bauzeit, ermöglichte die Integration der verschiedenen Baustile, die in diesen Jahrhunderten in Kraft und Mode waren: Gotik, Barock, Churrigueresque, Neoklassizismus und andere. Dieselbe Situation erlebten unterschiedliche Ornamente, Gemälde, Skulpturen und Möbel im Innenraum.

Seine Verwirklichung bedeutete einen Punkt des sozialen Zusammenhalts, weil er dieselben kirchlichen Autoritäten, Regierungsbehörden, verschiedene religiöse Bruderschaften wie viele Generationen sozialer Gruppen aller Klassen einbezog.

Es ist auch eine Folge des Einflusses der katholischen Kirche auf das öffentliche Leben, dass das Gebäude mit Ereignissen von historischer Bedeutung für die Gesellschaften Neuspaniens und des unabhängigen Mexikos verbunden war. Um nur einige zu nennen, gibt es die Krönung von Agustín de Iturbide und Ana María Huarte zu Kaisern von Mexiko durch den Präsidenten des Kongresses die Erhaltung der Begräbnisreste der oben genannten Monarchenbestattung bis 1925 mehrerer Unabhängigkeitshelden wie Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla und José María Morelos die Streitigkeiten zwischen Liberalen und Konservativen, die durch die Trennung von Kirche und Staat in der Reform verursacht wurden, die Schließung des Gebäudes in den Tagen des Cristero-Krieges, die Feierlichkeiten zum 200-jährigen Bestehen der Unabhängigkeit, unter anderem.

Die Kathedrale ist nach Süden ausgerichtet. Die ungefähren Maße dieser Kirche sind 59 Meter (194 ft) breit, 128 Meter (420 ft) lang und 67 Meter (220 ft) hoch bis zur Spitze der Türme. Es besteht aus zwei Glockentürmen, einer zentralen Kuppel und drei Hauptportalen. Es hat vier Fassaden, die Portale enthalten, die von Säulen und Statuen flankiert sind. Es hat fünf Schiffe mit 51 Gewölben, 74 Bögen und 40 Säulen. Die beiden Glockentürme enthalten insgesamt 25 Glocken. Der Tabernakel neben der Kathedrale enthält das Baptisterium und dient der Registrierung der Gemeindemitglieder.

Es gibt fünf große, reich verzierte Altäre, eine Sakristei, einen Chor, einen Chorraum, einen Korridor und einen Kapitularraum. Vierzehn der sechzehn Kapellen der Kathedrale sind für die Öffentlichkeit zugänglich. Jede Kapelle ist einem oder mehreren Heiligen gewidmet und wurde von einer religiösen Gilde gesponsert. Die Kapellen enthalten reich verzierte Altäre, Altarbilder, Retablos, Gemälde, Möbel und Skulpturen. Die Kathedrale beherbergt zwei der größten Orgeln aus dem 18. Jahrhundert in Amerika. Unter der Kathedrale befindet sich eine Krypta, in der die Überreste vieler ehemaliger Erzbischöfe aufbewahrt werden. Die Kathedrale hat etwa 150 Fenster.

Im Laufe der Jahrhunderte hat die Kathedrale Schäden erlitten. Ein Brand im Jahr 1967 zerstörte einen wesentlichen Teil des Innenraums der Kathedrale. Bei den folgenden Restaurierungsarbeiten wurden eine Reihe wichtiger Dokumente und Kunstwerke freigelegt, die zuvor versteckt worden waren. Obwohl für die Kathedrale ein solides Fundament gebaut wurde, war der weiche Lehmboden, auf dem sie gebaut wurde, eine Bedrohung für ihre strukturelle Integrität. Das Absinken des Grundwasserspiegels und das beschleunigte Absinken führten dazu, dass das Bauwerk in die Liste der 100 am stärksten gefährdeten Stätten des World Monuments Fund aufgenommen wurde. In den 1990er Jahren beginnende Restaurierungsarbeiten stabilisierten den Dom und wurden im Jahr 2000 von der Gefährdungsliste gestrichen.

Hintergrund: Die Große Kirche
Nach der spanischen Eroberung des Aztekenreiches und nach der Rückkehr von Hernán Cortés von der Erforschung des heutigen Honduras beschlossen die Eroberer, eine Kirche an der Stelle zu bauen, an der sich der Haupttempel der aztekischen Stadt Tenochtitlán befand, von Festigen Sie auf diese Weise die spanische Macht über das neu eroberte Gebiet. Es gibt Beweise für die Existenz eines großen Tempels, der dem Gott Quetzalcoatl geweiht ist, eines Tempels, der dem Gott Huitzilopochtli und anderen kleineren Gebäuden geweiht ist.

Der Architekt Martín de Sepúlveda war zwischen 1524 und 1532 der erste Direktor des Projekts, während Juan de Zumárraga der erste Bischof des Bischofssitzes in der Neuen Welt war. Die Kathedrale von Zumárraga befand sich im nordöstlichen Teil der heutigen Kathedrale. Es hatte drei Schiffe, die durch toskanische Säulen getrennt waren, das zentrale Dach hatte komplizierte Gravuren von Juan Salcedo Espinosa und Gold von Francisco de Zumaya und Andrés de la Concha. Das Haupttor war wahrscheinlich im Renaissance-Stil. Der Chor hatte 48 von Hand gefertigte Sitze von Adrián Suster und Juan Montaño aus Holz ofayacahuite. Für den Bau verwendeten sie die Steine ​​des zerstörten Tempels des Gottes Huitzilopochtli, des Kriegsgottes und Hauptgottes der Azteken.

Trotz allem galt dieser Tempel bald als unzureichend für die wachsende Bedeutung der Hauptstadt des Vizekönigreichs Neuspanien. Diese erste Kirche wurde von König Carlos I. von Spanien und Papst Clemens VII. gemäß einer Bula vom 9. September 1534 zur Kathedrale erhoben und wurde 1547 von Paul III.

Diese kleine, arme Kirche, die von allen Chronisten verteufelt wurde, die sie einer so großen und berühmten Stadt für unwürdig hielten, leistete viele Jahre lang schlechte Dienste. Sehr bald wurde befohlen, einen neuen Tempel zu bauen, der der Größe der Kolonie angemessener war, mehr stieß diese neue Fabrik auf so viele Hindernisse zu ihrem Beginn, mit so vielen Schwierigkeiten für ihre Verfolgung, dass der alte Tempel vorbeiziehen sah seine Schiffe verengen die prunkvollen Zeremonien des Vizekönigreichs und nur wenn die Tatsache, die sie motivierte, von großer Bedeutung war, wurde eine andere Kirche wie die von San Francisco ausgewählt, um den Grabhügel für die Beerdigung von Carlos V in ihrer riesigen Kapelle zu errichten San José de los Indios.

Da die Fertigstellung der neuen Kirche lang war, ihre Fabrik begann, wurde im Jahr 1584 beschlossen, die alte Kathedrale, die zweifellos kaum weniger als ruinös sein würde, vollständig zu reparieren, um das dritte mexikanische Konzil zu feiern.

Die Kirche war kaum mehr als die Front der neuen Kathedrale, ihre drei Schiffe erreichten keine 30 Meter Breite und waren überdacht, das mittlere mit einer halben Scherenpanzerung, die seitlichen mit horizontalen Balken. Außer der Tür der Vergebung gab es einen weiteren Anruf der Kanoniker, und vielleicht wurde ein dritter an die Stelle des Marquis gelassen. Jahre später war die Kathedrale für ihre Funktion klein. Bereits 1544 hatten die kirchlichen Behörden den Bau einer neuen und prächtigeren Kathedrale angeordnet.

Beginn der Arbeiten
Fast alle amerikanischen Kathedralen dieser ersten Renaissance folgen dem Vorbild von Jaén, dessen Grundsteinlegung 1540 erfolgte. Rechteckig im Grundriss und allenfalls mit der Ochavada-Kapelle sind die Kathedralen von Mexiko, Puebla. (…) Er wurde hauptsächlich von der Kathedrale von Jaén von 1540 mit rechteckigem Grundriss und flachem Kopf inspiriert, obwohl er wahrscheinlich auch vom Valladolid Herrera-Modell verführt wurde, der Beziehung zwischen der Kathedrale von Valladolid, die 1580 projiziert wurde, bei den amerikanischen Kathedralen ist ihm nicht genügend Rechnung getragen worden.
Auszug aus Hispanic American Art (1988).

1552 wurde eine Vereinbarung getroffen, wonach die spanische Krone, die Kommandanten und die Indianer unter der direkten Autorität des Erzbischofs von Neuspanien die Kosten für die neue Kathedrale teilen würden. Die ersten Pläne für die Gründung der neuen Kathedrale begannen 1562, im Rahmen des Projekts für den Bau des Werkes hätte der damalige Erzbischof Alonso de Montúfar einen monumentalen Bau aus sieben Schiffen vorgeschlagen, der auf dem Entwurf der Kathedrale von Sevilla basiert ein Projekt, das in den Worten von Montúfar selbst 10 oder 12 Jahre dauern würde. Das Gewicht eines Werkes dieser Größenordnung in einem sumpfigen Untergrund würde eine spezielle Gründung erfordern. Zunächst wurden Querträger für den Bau einer Plattform eingesetzt, was hohe Kosten und eine ständige Entwässerung erforderte, am Ende wurde das Projekt nicht nur wegen der oben genannten Kosten, sondern wegen der Überschwemmungen der Innenstadt aufgegeben. Dann werden, unterstützt durch indigene Techniken, Massivholzpfähle in großer Tiefe injiziert, etwa zwanzigtausend dieser Pfähle auf einer Fläche von sechstausend Quadratmetern. Das Projekt wird von ursprünglich sieben Schiffen auf nur fünf reduziert: ein zentrales, zwei Prozessionsschiffe und zwei seitliche für die 16 Kapellen. Der Bau begann mit den Entwürfen und Modellen von Claudio de Arciniega und Juan Miguel de Agüero, inspiriert von den spanischen Kathedralen von Jaén und Valladolid.

1571 legten Vizekönig Martín Enríquez de Almansa und Erzbischof Pedro Moya de Contreras mit einiger Verzögerung den Grundstein für den heutigen Tempel. Die Kathedrale wurde 1573 um die bestehende Kirche herum gebaut, die abgerissen wurde, als die Arbeiten genug fortgeschritten waren, um die Grundfunktionen des Tempels zu beherbergen.

Die Arbeiten begannen mit einer Nord-Süd-Ausrichtung, im Gegensatz zu den meisten Kathedralen, dies aufgrund der Baugrundrisse, die das Gebäude mit einer traditionellen Ost-West-Ausrichtung beeinträchtigen würden. Zuerst wurden der Kapitelsaal und die Sakristei gebaut, der Bau der Gewölbe und der Schiffe dauerte hundert Jahre.

Bauentwicklung
Der Beginn der Arbeiten wurde in einem schlammigen und instabilen Gelände gefunden, das die Arbeiten erschwerte. Aus diesem Grund wurden der Tezontle und der Chiluca-Stein als Baumaterialien in mehreren Bereichen des Steinbruchs bevorzugt, da diese leichter sind. 1581 begann man mit dem Bau der Mauern und 1585 begannen die Arbeiten in der ersten Kapelle, damals waren die Namen der Steinmetze, die an der Arbeit arbeiteten: Juan Arteaga arbeitete in den Kapellen und Hernán García de Villaverde, der auch arbeitete an den Säulen, deren Hälften von Martín Casillas geformt wurden. 1615 erreichten die Mauern die Hälfte ihrer Gesamthöhe. Der Innenausbau der Sakristei begann 1623, die Urkirche wurde abgerissen. Am 21. September 1629 wurden die Arbeiten durch die Überschwemmung unterbrochen, die die Stadt traf, wo das Wasser eine Höhe von zwei Metern erreichte und den heutigen Platz der Verfassung und andere Teile der Stadt beschädigte. Aufgrund der Schäden wurde ein Projekt zum Bau der neuen Kathedrale in den Hügeln von Tacubaya westlich der Stadt begonnen, aber die Idee wurde verworfen und das Projekt unter der Leitung von Juan Gómez de Trasmonte am selben Ort weitergeführt.

Erzbischof Marcos Ramírez de Prado y Ovando nahm die zweite Weihe am 22. Dezember 1667 vor, dem Jahr, in dem die letzte Gruft geschlossen wurde. Zum Zeitpunkt der Weihe (ohne Glockentürme, Hauptfassade und andere Elemente aus dem 18. Jahrhundert) betrug der Baupreis 1 759 000 Pesos. Diese Kosten wurden größtenteils von den Königen von Spanien Felipe II, Felipe III, Felipe IV und Carlos II getragen. An den zentralen Kern des Gebäudes wurden im Laufe der Jahre das Seminarkollegium, die Kapelle der Animas und die Gebäude des Tabernakels und der Kurie angebaut.

Im Jahr 1675 wurde der zentrale Teil der Hauptfassade fertiggestellt, das Werk des Architekten Cristóbal de Medina Vargas, das die Figur der Himmelfahrt Mariens, eine Anrufung, der die Kathedrale gewidmet ist, und die Skulpturen von Santiago el Mayor und San Andrés bewacht. Während des restlichen 17. Jahrhunderts wird der erste Körper des östlichen Turms gebaut, der von den Architekten Juan Lozano und Juan Serrano entworfen wurde. The main cover of the building and those of the east side were built in 1688 and that of the west in 1689. The six buttresses that support the structure by the side of its main facade and the botareles that support the vaults of the main nave were completed. During the eighteenth century little was done to advance in the term of the construction of the Cathedral largely because, already concluded inside and useful for all the ceremonies that were offered, there was no urgent need to continue working on what was missing.

Although the work had been suspended in fact, some works inside continued by 1737 he was a major teacher Domingo de Arrieta. He made, in the company of José Eduardo de Herrera, architecture teacher, the stands surrounding the choir. In 1742 Manuel de Álvarez, architecture teacher, ruled with the same Herrera about the presbytery project presented by Jerónimo de Balbás.

In 1752, on September 17, a cross of iron was placed on the crown of the dome of this Church, of more than three rods, with its weather vane, engraved on either side of the Sanctus Deus prayer, and in the middle of it an oval of a quarter, in which Agnus wax with its stained glass window was placed on the one hand and on the other side a sheet in which Mrs. Santa Prisca, a lawyer for lightning, was sculpted. The spike of this cross is of two rods and all its weight of fourteen arrobas he stuck himself in a stone base.

In 1787, the architect José Damián Ortiz de Castro was appointed, after a contest in which the projects of José Joaquín de Torres and Isidro Vicente de Balbás were imposed, to direct the construction works of the bell towers, the main facade and the Dome. For the construction of the towers, the Mexican architect Ortiz de Castro designed a project to make them effective against earthquakes a second body that seems openwork and a bell-shaped auction. His direction in the project continued until his death in 1793. Moment in which he was replaced by Manuel Tolsá, architect and sculptor driving the Neoclassical, who arrived in the country in 1791. Tolsa is responsible for completing the work of the cathedral. Rebuild the dome that was low and disproportionate, design a project that consists of opening a larger ring on which builds a circular platform, to raise a much higher lantern from there. Integra the flames, statues and balustrades. Crown the facade with figures that symbolize the three theological virtues (Faith, hope and charity).

The cathedral in independent Mexico
Once the independence of Mexico was concluded, the cathedral was soon the scene of important chapters in the history of the new country. Being the main religious center and seat of ecclesiastical power, it was part of different events that involved the public life of independent Mexico.

The 21 of July of 1822 the coronation ceremony was held Agustin de Iturbide as Emperor of Mexico. Early twenty-four canyons sounded, balconies were adorned and the facades of public buildings were adorned, as well as atriums and church portals. Two thrones were placed in the cathedral, the main one next to the presbyter and the minor one near the choir. Shortly before nine o’clock in the morning, the members of Congress and the City Council occupied their destined places. Troops of cavalry and infantry made fence to the future emperor and his entourage. Three bishops officiated mass. The president of the Congress, Rafael Mangino, was in charge of placing the crown on Agustín I, then the emperor himself wrapped the crown to the empress. Other badges were imposed on the newly crowned by generals and bridesmaids, Bishop Juan Cruz Ruiz de Cabañas y Crespo exclaimed Vivat Imperator in aeternum! “Long live the emperor and the empress!” After the ceremony, the ringing of the bells and the crash of the cannons informed the people that the coronation had been accomplished.

In 1825 the heads of Miguel Hidalgo, Ignacio Allende, Juan Aldama and Mariano Jiménez, rescued and sheltered after having hung in front of the Alhóndiga de Granaditas in Guanajuato, were transferred from the Parish of Santo Domingo to the Metropolitan Cathedral in a solemn procession. The march of the skulls protected in an urn covered with black velvet was accompanied by the ringing of the bells, the voices of the Cabildo Choir and the brotherhoods that were then responsible for the chapels of the Cathedral. Months before, those same skulls hung in front of the Alhondiga and now the archbishopPedro José de Fonte and Hernández Miravete gave authorization that the Jubilee Gate of the enclosure be opened wide to receive the so-called ‘heroes’ of Independence.

The remains of José María Morelos, Francisco Javier Mina, Mariano Matamoros and Hermenegildo Galeana were also received. The remains were placed in the Crypt of the Archbishops and Viceroys and at that time it was written: “To the honorable remains of the magnanimous and impertérritos caudillos, parents of Mexican freedom, and victims of perfidy and nepotism, the crying homeland and grateful erected this public monument ”.

However, there they did not stay long around 1885, by orders of then President Porfirio Díaz Mori, the remains were taken from the Cathedral and then, again, were taken in procession to the cathedral grounds, but this time, the procession was headed by the President of the Republic, City Hall Ministers and Secretaries, civil authorities, popular organizations, Mexican flags and lay banners that reflected the character of the time. Once again, the Jubilee Gate saw the heroes of the Fatherland parade, although this time without Morelos.

Then they were placed in the Chapel of San José, and there they were about forty years until in 1925 they left the Cathedral to be placed at the base of the Column of the Angel of Independence on Paseo de la Reforma. The Mexican government did not take the body, however, of Agustín de Iturbide, who remains in the Chapel of San Felipe de Jesús.

Being Archbishop of Mexico José Lázaro de la Garza y Ballesteros, he pronounced against the Reform Laws contained in the Constitution of 1857. In March 1857, he declared during a sermon that the new laws were “hostile to the Church.” On April 17, he sent a circular to all the priests of his diocese “preventing the faithful who had sworn the constitution from being acquitted without prior public retraction.” His position was heard by many employees who refused to swear the Magna Carta, who were dismissed from their posts by the Mexican government. In different parts of the country, different pronouncements and armed uprisings were carried out under the cry of “Religion and fueros”.

Consequently, Mexican society was divided into two factions. The liberals who supported the reforms to the Constitution and the conservatives who detracted it by supporting the clergy. The War of Reform broke out in the Mexican territory, establishing two governments. On the one hand the Constitutional in charge of Benito Juárez and promulgated by a Board of the Conservative Party under the command of Félix María Zuloaga. The 23 of January of 1858 the Conservative government was formally established, the liberal government had to escape from the capital. The Archbishop officiated a mass in the Cathedral and to celebrate the event theTe deum. On February 12, De la Garza sent a letter to the interim president Zuloaga to congratulate his government officially and give him his support.

During much of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, a number of different factors influenced a partial loss of his artistic heritage The natural deterioration of time was added, the generational changes in taste, fires, thefts, but also the lack of a regulatory framework and an awareness for the conservation of the property and its properties, of course, both by the authorities ecclesiastical as governmental. In this way both entities made use of artistic treasures to solve the consequences of political and economic instability in the country. For example, silver lamps and music stands, as well as gold vessels and other jewels were melted to finance the wars of the mid-19th century. The change in artistic fashion also influenced when the main altar of the 17th century was replaced with aBaroque cypress in the 18th century made by Jerónimo de Balbás which was replaced by Lorenzo de la Hidalga’s neoclassical style and removed to improve the visibility of the Altar of the Kings in 1943.

The December to June of 1864 was part of the lavish reception in Mexico City of the emperors Maximilian of Hapsburg and Carlota Amalia, who attended a Mass of thanksgiving in the building that day.

As part of the series of events that led to the unleashing of the Cristero War, on February 4, 1926, a protest was published in the newspaper El Universal declared by Archbishop José Mora y del Río nine years earlier against the new Constitution, but the note was presented as new news, that is, as if it were a recent statement. On the orders of President Calles – who considered the declaration a challenge to the Government – Mora y del Río was consigned to the Attorney General’s Officeand stopped several temples were closed, among them the same Cathedral and the foreign priests were expelled. Constitutional article 130 was regulated as the Law of Cults (better known as the Streets Law ), religious schools were closed and the number of priests was limited so that only one officiated for every six thousand inhabitants. On June 21, 1929, during the presidency of Emilio Portes Gil, the Church and the Government signed the arrangements that put an end to the hostilities in the Mexican territory, with which the premises were reopened.

The 26 of January of 1979 received for the first time in history the visit, a high priest of the Catholic Church, the Pope John Paul II, who in the midst of a rally, offered a historic mass in which would give one of his you celebrate phrases: Mexico always faithful! be until the 13 of February of 2016 that would succeed another visit by a maximum Catholic leader, when Pope Francis attended a meeting with all the bishops of the dioceses of Mexico.

The night of the 15 of September of 2010 was one of the main scenes of the celebrations of the bicentennial a multimedia show of images and sound projected on its main facade, accompanied by fireworks, was the closing of the main events in the capital Zócalo.

1967 fire
On January 17, 1967, a short circuit generated a major fire in the cathedral. On the altar of forgiveness, part of the structure and decoration was lost, as well as the paintings La Santa Faz by Alonso López de Herrera, El Martirio de San Sebastián by Francisco de Zumaya and La Virgen del Perdón by Simon Pereyns. In the choir, 75 of his 99 seats, a painting by Juan Correa and many books that were in it were lost. The two organs of the cathedral were very damaged by partially melting their tubes. In other parts of the cathedral, outstanding paintings by Rafael Ximeno y Planes, Juan Correa andJuan Rodriguez Juarez. Four years after the fire, in 1972, the restoration works of the cathedral began, to restore its original appearance.

The altars of forgiveness and kings were cleansed and restored. In the Altar of Forgiveness, several paintings were added that replaced the burned ones, The Escape from Egypt, The Divine Face and The Martyrdom of Saint Sebastian, all works by Pereyns. In addition, 51 paintings were found, works by Nicolás and Juan Rodríguez Juárez, Miguel Cabrera and José de Ibarra, hidden behind the altar. The organs were dismantled and sent to the Netherlands where they were repaired in a process that lasted until 1977. Inside one of the bodies was found a copy of 1529 of the appointment of Hernán Cortés as governor of New Spain. The choir was rebuilt in 1979. Outside, some of the statues were repaired or replaced by replicas due to the damage they presented to the contamination. On the wall of the central arch of the cathedral he was found the tomb of President Miguel Barragan.

Restoration
The construction of the cathedral on unstable ground led to problems since the beginning of the works. The cathedral, along with the rest of the city, sinks into the lake bed since the beginning of its construction. This process accelerated due to the overexploitation of underground aquifers by the huge population that lives there. This fact caused the sinking to different rhythms in different sections of the cathedral, thus, the bell towers, presented a dangerous inclination in the 1970s. In 1990, work began to stabilize the cathedral, although it was built on a solid base, This was located in turn on a soft clay soil that was a threat to its structural integrity, since a subsidence was suffered on the lower water tables, causing damage to the structure. Therefore, the cathedral was included in the World Monuments Fund as one of the hundred sites at greatest risk. After the stabilization and completion of the works, the cathedral was removed from that list in 2000. Between 1993 and 1998, work was carried out that helped stabilize the building. Wells were excavated under the cathedral and concrete shafts were placed that provided a stronger base for the building. This did not stop the sinking but it does ensure that it is uniform. In addition, the inclination of the towers was corrected.

Along with the structural rescue of the building, remodeling, conditioning and rescue work was also initiated inside the architectural complex, with the Altar de los Reyes standing out, which was carried out in collaboration with the government of Spain.

Manuel Tolsá
Manuel Tolsá y Sarrión, was born in Enguera, Valencia, on May 4, 1757. He was a well-known Spanish architect and sculptor, active in New Spain (today Mexico) between 1791 and 1825, where he served as Director of Sculpture of the Academy from San Carlos.

He studied in Valencia at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts of San Carlos and at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts of San Fernando in Madrid. He was a disciple of Ribelles, Gascó and Gilabert in architecture. He was a sculptor of the king’s chamber, minister of the Board of Commerce, Currency and Mines and academic in San Fernando. He arrived in New Spain in 1791 with books, work instruments and copies of classical sculptures of the Vatican Museum. He married nuptials with María Luisa de Sanz Téllez Girón and Espinosa in the port of Veracruz.

Upon arrival, the city council commissioned him to supervise the drainage and water supply works of Mexico City and the reforestation of the Alameda Central. For these services he received no compensation. Then he dedicated himself to the different artistic and civil works for which he remembers. In addition, he made furniture, melted cannons, opened a bathhouse and a car factory and installed a ceramic oven. He died from a gastric ulcer, in Las Lagunas, Oaxaca, on December 25, 1816. He was buried in the pantheon of the Oaxaca temple.

Works by Manuel Tolsá in Mexico

Conclusion of the works of the Metropolitan Cathedral of Mexico City.
Palace of Mining.
Equestrian statue of Carlos IV “El Caballito”.
Former Palace of Buenavista (now the National Museum of San Carlos).
Palace of the Marquis del Apartado. In front of the main temple.
Main altar of the Cathedral of Puebla
Main altar of the church of Santo Domingo.
Main altar of the church of La Profesa.
Altar of the Immaculate Conception in the church of La Profesa.
Bust of Hernán Cortés at the Hospital de Jesús.
Bronze Christs found in the Morelia Cathedral.
Projection of the fourth stage (neoclassical) of the Loreto church.
Hospicio Cabañas plans in Guadalajara.
Marquise de Selva Nevada cell in the former convent of Regina Porta Coeli. Today owned by the University of the Cloister of Sor Juana.

Tolsá has as a seal, the placement of balustrades at the end of the buildings where he worked.

The Cathedral of Mexico and Tolsá
Seat and chair of the bishop, the Cathedral is one of the most important buildings in sociological terms since it represents religious authority in New Spain, and one of the main reasons to justify the conquest of the country. On the other hand, it shows the temporary wealth of the clergy throughout the colonial era.

The primitive Cathedral was in the southwest corner of the current atrium. It was small, simple, with a wooden structure. Cortés laid the first stone. But the current Cathedral is the work of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, mainly, but also the fourteenth. All the styles of the Colony are reflected in this work. Infinite architects, important and mediocre, intervened in his works (with the fire of January 1967, this intervention has been prolonged). Some advocated contemporary restoration – modifying some elements – and others wanted the identical restitution of the choir, stalls and damaged parts. The latter was what was done.

The Cathedral is huge: it is more than 100 meters long and 60 meters wide, the towers reach the height of 64 meters. It has five naves: the two lateral ones, with terraced altars, in which mass is celebrated, and the two processional ones, around the central one, closed by the huge choir, with an altar in the transept that was covered by the baroque cypress churrigueresque of Gerónimo de Balbas, already destroyed, and later of the neoclassical cypress of the architect Lorenzo de la Hidalga, of magnificent invoice, in spite of what the critics say, also destroyed, without any fuss of the clergy and historians.

The Veracruz architect Damián Ortiz de Castro was the major master of the works upon the arrival of Tolsá in Mexico. This architect had finished the very original and well-proportioned towers, the dome drum and various interior works.

When Ortiz de Castro died, he inherited the title and position of Don Manuel Tolsá in 1793, that is, three years after his arrival in Mexico. Fact that confirms the importance at that time of being peninsular Spanish, regardless of the desires of our artist.

Tolsá receives the Cathedral in its last stage of construction, and finishes it splendidly. It gives the work “an aspect of something complete, complete,” says Manuel Toussaint.

The Valencian architect, with great talent, realizes the state of the work, its diversity of styles and the relatively ungrateful problem of intervening in something almost finished. But it demonstrates here its enormous power of observation and its spatial understanding, since the body is solid, and it would be heavy if it were not for the great width of the church. On the other hand, the huge towers almost “eat” the whole. It was therefore necessary to underline the entry, especially that the work is symmetrical in its forms.

On the main facade it places a huge volume so that it reaches the height of the starting of the towers, and with it it manages to give unity to the main facade towards the Zócalo, as well as to remove rigidity when crowning it with three large sculptures and perfect proportion with the set, given the great height of the clock, after calculating the points from where they look. This is pure baroque.

In addition, it unifies facades, towers and buttresses by means of the unifying harmonic theme of the balustrades, which is repeated at the top, length and width of the entire Cathedral. The buttresses have inverted brackets that link the lower and middle part of the Cathedral. In the towers he continues to repeat his spatial theme: the balustrades and walls that support the florons to insist even more on the importance of the balustrade, but also underline the supporting structure.

These flowers show their respect for the previous structure, and not as we have wanted to see, something ostentatious or simply ornamental the positive thing is that it underlines the structural rhythm and gives relevance to the balustrades, which serve – as everyone recognizes – to grant unity to the group in which many architects had intervened during two hundred years of work.

The dome will be its great auction, since when raising the volume of the clock it was hidden and the clarity of the party was hidden or obscured: a T-shaped Latin cross plant, that is to say as the Christian cross, which has a greater arm than The one who crosses it.

The drum and dome projected by Damián Ortiz de Castro were correct, but with the increase of the clock, Tolsá warns that it is necessary to give the dome greater relevance: it is attached in stone half pilasters and frames the windows with Ionic columns that ends with very prominent pediments. With this he manages to give breadth to the dome, which seen from afar looks like a magnificent crown of the temple.

We would like to add that the recent stained glass windows by sculptor Mathias Goeritz in the windows of the Cathedral are excellent, in color and shape, and perhaps they should continue in the lantern.

The sculptures of the clock are works by Manuel Tolsá, perfectly proportioned to the architecture and with a very good baroque invoice.

In all the work the Tolsá baroque championship advances and setbacks of space, be pediments and columns of the dome Be it your ornamentation: the delightful repetition of flowers and boards is enriched with bulk sculptures and floral motifs.

Manuel Toussaint
He was born in Puebla on May 29, 1890. When he had just folded the cape, blue and gold, of the good hope that they are 30 years old, he was already learned in several disciplines He had since then a vague, an indefinable sadness. His joys were like mist-shrouded, slight evening haze.

Manuel Toussaint is a gentleman of good and chosen garments rested, calm and in all extended its softness. He preferred accuracy more than broken or tortuous lines He was a friend of the clear and simple, of sober wealth. It was a neoclassical spirit. But although seated and of judgment, he had a restless and boisterous understanding and thus has an emotion wave before things, he embedded in them the heart and later described them with ideality, with delicate love.

Of great intellectual activity, there were no lazy breaks, but always he was busy between manuscripts and books and stirring ideas I was already daily with the pen on paper composing essays, or stories, or serious studies of history and this is how the ingenuity was polished by the exercise and became one of our avant-garde writers. He knew how to put his restlessness between the dust and the moths of mamotretos and infolios from where he was taking with exquisite tino kind and beautiful things. In his hands the document loses its curial coldness and makes it enjoyable.

The generous task of going through those peoples of God, diverted from all dealings and commerce with the big cities, and having such beautiful names as if they belonged to the spiritual geography of an artist writer was given for years villages that seem to be out of time, in which life was stopped, as full of stupor, in the midst of the lights of the century, looking only towards the past with a long talk of nostalgia. And after these wanderings, he counts on a clean and flexible prose, of the abandoned churches, of the illustrious sanctuaries, of the great colonial mansions, of the convents in which humble servants of God and tall men lived, of the hermitages, humiliators and reposorios, of the old paintings that already put their colors in the transparent darkness of the patinas,

It should be noted that Toussaint in 1934 founded the Art Laboratory of the UNAM, later called the Institute of Aesthetic Research (IIE). He is the author of a magnificent and huge volume on a large folio, preciously illustrated, which contains the entire history of our great Cathedral, from the time he laid his first fundamental stone until Tolsá ended it, with all its ornaments and the splendor of its numerous riches Fruit of its fruitful runs through Europe lands, is another volume, hallucinated trips, of value for the very pleasant that they enclose between their pages. He wrote with great knowledge, the history of painting in Mexico, a beautiful book with beautiful graphic information. It unravels an infinite number of problems that had remained insoluble until Manuel Toussaint laid hands on them with great scholarship and talent.

Cathedral chapel masters during the viceroyalty
During the entire viceregal period the cathedral had an intense and brilliant musical activity organized by its corresponding chapel masters. These had the obligation not only to organize the ecclesiastical musical life of the cathedral for all major festivities, but also to instruct the corresponding musicians, compose the necessary musical works and organize the musical archives. The result of this constant activity is a delicious musical archive that competes in America with the splendid musical archive of the cathedral of Puebla, that of the Basilica of Guadalupe or the musical archives preserved in Cuzco or Chuquisaca. None of all these music files has been thoroughly studied and most of that music remains unpublished. Unfortunately, there is no contemporary attempt to continue the musical tradition of the Latin American cathedrals by playing the preserved collection or hiring composers who write new works. The chapel masters of the cathedral of Mexico of which works are mostly preserved in the cathedral archive were:

Juan Xuárez (1538-1556)
Lázaro del Álamo (1556-1570)
Juan de Victoria (1570-575)
Hernando Franco (1575-1585)
Juan Hernández (1586-1618)
Antonio Rodríguez de Mata (1619-1648)
Fabian Ximeno (1648-1654)
Francisco López y Capillas (1654-1673)
Hyacinth of the Vega Francisco Ponce (1673-h. 1676)
Joseph de Loaysa and Agurto (h. 1676-1688)
Antonio de Salazar (1688-1715)
Manuel de Sumaya (1715-1739)
Domingo Dutra and Andrade (1741-1750)
Ignatius of Jerusalem and Stella (1750-1769)
Mateo Tollis della Rocca (1769-1780)
Martín Bernárdez Rivera (1781-1791)
Antonio de Juanas (1791-1814)
Vicente Gómez Matheo Manterola (1815-1818?)
José María Bustamante and Eduardo Campuzano (1818-1821?)
José Mariano Elízaga (1822)

The musical archive of the cathedral of Mexico is one of the largest in America It has a collection of more than 5000 works, covering from the sixteenth to the twentieth century, in various formats such as choir books, religious music, profane and musical treatises.


Washington National Cathedral

Unsere Redakteure prüfen, was Sie eingereicht haben und entscheiden, ob der Artikel überarbeitet werden soll.

Washington National Cathedral, auch genannt Washington Cathedral, officially Cathedral Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, in Washington, D.C., Episcopal cathedral chartered by the U.S. Congress in 1893 and established on Mount St. Alban (the highest point in the city) in 1907. Its cornerstone was laid by President Theodore Roosevelt. Although construction slowed during periods of economic hardship and stopped altogether during 1977–80, the building was completed in 1990.

Designed and constructed in the 14th-century English Gothic style, the edifice was also built without the use of steel support in a centuries-old manner—using artists, sculptors, and stone masons. Radiant heating in the stone floor is one of its few concessions to modernity. The cathedral is built in the shape of a cross, its length extending some 530 feet (160 metres), and can seat about 4,000 in the United States it is second in size only to New York City’s Cathedral of St. John the Divine (still uncompleted).

This article was most recently revised and updated by Amy Tikkanen, Corrections Manager.


Unsere Geschichte

San Fernando Cathedral has always been at the center of San Antonio. It is a special place that occupies a unique position in this city and for the many visitors who come by the thousands every year.

San Fernando Cathedral was founded on March 9, 1731 by a group of 15 families who came from the Canary Islands at the invitation of King Phillip V of Spain and is the oldest, continuously functioning religious community in the State of Texas. This church was planned to be at the center of the life of this city. The Cathedral building has the added distinction of being the oldest standing church building in Texas, and for all of its more than 281 years, has been serving the people of the Archdiocese and San Antonio. For almost 95 years, San Fernando served as the church for all of the religious denominations of San Antonio as the Catholic Church was the only recognized religion of the Spanish and Mexican governments prior to Texas' independence. San Fernando has become more than the geographic center it has become an ecumenical, cultural, civic, and service center of unity and harmony for all the God-loving people of San Antonio and beyond. San Fernando serves as a refuge for many of the poor in this area who come for help and trust their needs will be met. As the first church in the city, San Fernando has a rich history of responding to the people's needs in and around the church.

Over 5,000 participate at weekend Masses each week of the year. Over 900 baptisms, 100 weddings, 100 funerals, and countless other services are performed each year. Symphonies, concerts, and television specials are but a few of the special events held in the cathedral regularly. Hundreds of people enter the church daily to pray, visit, light a candle, or follow various devotional traditions. Tour buses arrive constantly. Each person is a part of the story of this magnificent place and a tribute to its enduring presence as the spiritual center of San Antonio.


The Year of Calamity

A fire on March 21, 1788, started when a candle ignited the lace draperies of an altar in the home of the military treasurer of the colony, Vincente Jose Nunez, on Chartres Street. Among the buildings burned to the ground were the Church of St. Louis, the priests' residence, and the Casa Principal, which housed the Cabildo.

In a letter written on March 28, 1788, Father Antonio de Sedella (Pere Antoine), who was pastor of the church, described the rapidity with which the fire made headway. He wrote that he had sent some of the church records to the home of the tobacco director, "distant from the Presbytere about two rifle shots," but they were lost when that house caught fire.

Nearly a year elapsed before the charred remains of the church were cleared away and construction of a new church began in early 1789. More than five years were to pass before the new church was completed in December, 1794.

The second Church of St. Louis was the gift of the wealthy Don Andres Almonester y Roxas, a native of Andalusia who had acquired numerous properties since his arrival in New Orleans in the wake of Governor Alejandro O'Reilly.

As Louisiana and the Floridas had been created a diocese in 1793, and Luis Pefialver y Cardenas appointed first bishop with New Orleans as his See city, the new church was dedicated as a Cathedral and put into service on Christmas Eve, 1794.

Shortly before the completion of the Cathedral, on April 25, 1793, the diocese of Louisiana and the Floridas was created by Pope Pius VI. Don Luis Ignacio Maria de Pefialver y Cardenas of Havana was appointed the first bishop.

He arrived in state in New Orleans in July, 1795 to take formal possession of his See and begin his episcopal duties.

In 1819 a New Orleans clockmaker, Jean Delachaux, was authorized by the trustees to obtain a suitable clock to be placed in the facade of the Cathedral.

As this was a project of general civic interest, the City Council agreed to the expense of buying the clock and its bell and also to share in the cost of erecting a central tower to house them. Delachaux brought the clock and bell with him from Paris and Latrobe records in his journal an incident which occurred when he was about to place the clock's bell in the tower:

This bell, which still rings out the hours from above the church's clock, is inscribed in French: Braves Louisianais, cette cloche dont le nom est Victoire a été fondue en mémoire de la glorieuse journée du 8 Janvier 1815. [Brave people of Louisiana, this clock, whose name is Victory, was cast in memory of the glorious 8 th of January, 1815]

Surmounting both inscriptions are American eagles and at the bottom of the bell an inscription reads: Fondue a Paris pour M. Jn. Delachaux de Nouvelle Orleans. [Cast in Paris for Mr. John Delachaux of New Orleans.]

The central tower, which added grace and dignity to the Cathedral, was one of Latrobe's last projects, for he died in New Orleans of yellow fever on September 3,1820, before it was completed.

In 1829 an organ was imported and in 1825 Francisco Zapari, an Italian painter, was employed at a fee of $1,855 to decorate the interior of the church and its three altars.

On January 22, 1829, the well-beloved Pere Antoine was laid to rest in the church after a funeral service which was one of the largest ever seen in the city. For more than 40 years, this remarkable Capuchin priest had labored in New Orleans he had been pastor of the Cathedral from 1785 to 1790 and again from 1795 to the time of his death at the age of 81. For three days after his passing, the body of Pere Antoine was laid out in the Cathedral rectory and thousands came to pay homage. On the day of the funeral, the firing of a cannon announced the beginning of the ceremonies. The coffin was carried on the shoulders of four young men who were surrounded by eight honorary pallbearers, all friends of the deceased.

On January 8, 1840, Andrew Jackson returned to the scene of his triumph against the British twenty-five years earlier. He went to the St. Louis Cathedral where an oration was given in his honor. After this ceremony, he conducted a military review in the Place d'Armes.

After a week of continual entertainment, Jackson returned to the Place d'Armes on January 14 to lay the cornerstone of the monument which the square today. There was the usual parade and a large crowd to watch the proceedings.
Bishop Antoine Blanc, in full pontifical, received the General.

Another joyful occasion in which the Cathedral played a part was the visit in December, 1847, of a hero of the Mexican War, Zachary Taylor, whose victory at Monterey would send him to the White House. After the service, the crowds cheered with joy as the old General rode his battle horse, Old Whitey, through the city to the St. Charles Hotel.

De Poulily's drawing of the facade of the new St. Louis Cathedral. This elevation was designed In July 1847 and became part of the contract with the trustees, March 1849. Design was later slightly modified. (N.O. Notarial Archives)

In 1844, the Baroness Pontalba, through her New Orleans agents, presented to the Council for the First Municipality a project to construct a two-story arcaded facade in front of the old buildings bordering both sides of the Place d'Armes, buildings she had inherited from her father, Don Andres Almonester. Two years later, this remarkable woman again submitted and had approved by the Council elaborate plans, prepared under her personal supervision, which called for remodeling her buildings with arcades similar to those of the Cabildo and Presbytere, and also for extensive improvements to the square itself, to create a bit of Paris for her native city.

These additions so increased the size of the two flanking buildings that something had to be done to the Cathedral to bring it to proper scale. Besides, the church was old, its walls were cracking, and it was too small for the congregation of the growing city.

As far back as 1834 the trustees had consulted with J. N. B. de Pouilly, the French architect. De Pouilly had suggested lengthening the church and adding galleries but he was not very optimistic that even these changes would enlarge the church sufficiently to fit the needs of the growing congregation.

A contract was made on March 12,1849, with an Irish builder, John Patrick Kirwan, "for the restoration of the Cathedral of St. Louis." De Pouilly's original specifications, which became part of the contract, called for a reconstruction that left intact only the lateral walls and the lower part of the front and the flanking hexagonal towers of the old church. But as construction proceeded, it became evident that the side walls, too, would have to be demolished.

During construction, the central clock and bell tower collapsed. This calamitous incident caused damage estimated as high as $20,000. In the months that followed, inspections by experts sought to determine the cause of the collapse, and proposals and counter-proposals between trustees and builder culminated in the trustees ordering Kirwan to quit the job. De Pouilly, the architect, was also dismissed and the trustees employed another architect.


Stavanger Cathedral: A Spiritual Monument for the Ages

Late Viking Age farming and fishing villages had started to abandon their traditional mythological concepts in favor of Christianity as early as the 10 th century AD. The decision to build the new church on top of an older settlement likely met with the approval of the entire community, which would have seen the awe-inspiring structure as a fitting tribute to their newly embraced spiritual belief system.

Throughout its existence, the cathedral has been critically important to the people of Stavanger. When the original wooden church was completely destroyed by fire in 1272, they rebuilt it with stone to make sure the new edifice would last for millennia. The Stavanger Cathedral has been in continuous use for nine centuries, and instead of being torn down it was repurposed from a Catholic to a Protestant house of worship when the city experienced the changes of the Reformation .

The city of Stavanger dates its founding to 1125, choosing that year to represent the time when the church was completed. Their determination to renovate the church to keep it functional is an impressive testament to the cathedral’s ongoing importance to the community.

Bild oben: Archaeological excavations in the basement levels of Stavanger Cathedral that yielded evidence of an older Viking settlement below the church cellars. Quelle: Kristine Ødeby / NIKU

Nathan

Nathan Falde graduated from American Public University in 2010 with a Bachelors Degree in History, and has a long-standing fascination with ancient history, historical mysteries, mythology, astronomy and esoteric topics of all types. He is a full-time freelance writer from. Weiterlesen


Schau das Video: Ukjend Katedral (Dezember 2021).