Geschichte Podcasts

Thomas Bury

Thomas Bury

Thomas Bury wurde 1811 geboren. Nach einer Ausbildung zum Architekten bei A.W.N. Pugin, Bury wurde Künstler. Im Jahr 1831 wurden zwei Sätze von Drucken seiner Gemälde der Liverpool & Manchester Railway veröffentlicht. Die von Rudolf Ackerman herausgegebenen Bücher waren ein großer Erfolg und es wurde argumentiert, dass sie die bekanntesten Eisenbahnbilder sind, die je produziert wurden. Trotz des Erfolgs seiner Eisenbahnbilder kehrte Bury im weiteren Verlauf seiner Karriere nie wieder auf dieses Thema zurück. Thomas Bury starb 1877.


Bury, Lancashire

Bury, ein Gemeinde-, Parlaments- und Kreisbezirk und eine Gemeinde in Lancashire. Die Stadt wurde 1876 durch Royal Charter eingemeindet und hat einen Bürgermeister, 10 Schöffen und 30 Stadträte. Es ist in fünf Bezirke unterteilt, hat eine Friedenskommission und wurde durch den Bury Improvement Act von 1885 erweitert. Bury liegt am Fluss Irwell, 2 Meilen über seinem Zusammenfluss mit der Roach und 8 NNW von Manchester. Der Bury-, Bolton- und Manchester-Kanal verläuft südwestlich, und die Eisenbahnen führen nach Westen, Norden, Osten und Süden. An der Stelle der Stadt soll sich eine römische Station befunden haben, ein sächsisches Kastell scheint hier gestanden zu haben, und in der Nähe der Stadt stand auf Castle Croft eine freiherrliche Burg aus der Frühzeit, die 1644 von den Truppen von abgerissen wurde Cromwell. Das Gut gehörte zur Zeit Heinrichs II. an John de Lacy und ging nacheinander an die Burys, die Pilkingtons und die Stanleys über. Eine Aufstellung von 20.000 Mann für die royalistische Sache wurde 1642 auf einer Heide in der Nachbarschaft von Lord Strange, später Earl of Derby, durchgeführt.

Die Stadt wurde 1738 als "kleine Marktstadt" beschrieben, aber es muss damals nur ein Dorf gewesen sein, und sie hat sich unter Produktionsbetrieben schnell zu einer Größe entwickelt. Früher enthielt es alte baufällige Gebäude und hatte ein schmuddeliges Aussehen, aber es hat sich durch den Wiederaufbau von Häusern, durch die Bildung neuer Straßen und durch den Bau von Entwässerungsarbeiten stark verbessert und zeigt jetzt ein gut gebautes und sauberes Aussehen beleuchtet und reichlich mit Wasser versorgt. Der 1840 erbaute Marktplatz ist mit einem Dach aus Schmiedeeisen und Glas gedeckt. Eine Bronzestatue von Sir Robert Peel auf einem massiven Sockel aus Granit wurde 1852 auf dem alten Marktplatz für 3.000 £ errichtet. Das Rathaus ist ein hübsches Gebäude im italienischen Stil, enthält einen Versammlungsraum von 54 mal 36 Fuß und umfasst Gerichtsgebäude und Polizeiamt. Das 1851 errichtete Athenaum ist ein stattliches Gebäude und enthält eine Halle von 25 mal 43, ein Museum von 43 mal 30, Klassenzimmer, Bibliothek und Lesesäle. Die Bankfilialen, die Sparkasse, der Bahnhof, die Badeanstalt und das Gymnasium sind gute Bauten. Die Pfarrkirche St. Marien, die Ende des 10. 000, im Abonnement aufgebracht. St. John's Church wurde 1770 erbaut, St. Paul's 1841, Holy Trinity 1865, St. Thomas' 1867 das letzte ist ein Bauwerk im gotischen Stil mit hohem Turm und Turm St. Markus wurde 1884 erbaut. St. Stephen's Church, a Wesleyan Kapelle und eine römisch-katholische Kapelle sind schöne Gebäude. Es gibt vier Kongregations-, drei Baptisten-, zwölf Methodisten-, eine Unitarier-, eine Swedenborgian- und zwei römisch-katholische Kapellen einen Friedhof (1869) mit 33 Hektar, mit zwei Totenkapellen ein 1726 gegründetes Gymnasium und mit einem Stiftungseinkommen von etwa 800 Pfund Sterling, drei Ausstellungen an den Universitäten und eine mit ihr verbundene Chorschule, ein Krankenhaus und eine Apotheke, die 1882 auf öffentlichem Abonnement errichtet wurden, ein öffentliches Erholungsgelände, das 1886 gegründet wurde, und ein Theater, das 1889 errichtet wurde. Die Stadt hat Post-, Postanweisungs- und Telegrafenamt, zwei Bahnhöfe, mehrere Banken, viele gute Wirtshäuser, ein Wochenmarkt am Samstag und drei Jahrmärkte, ist Sitz der kleinen Sitzungen und der Kreisgerichte und gibt zwei Wochenzeitungen heraus.

Die Wollfabrikation war früher der wichtigste Wirtschaftszweig der Stadt und wird noch heute in mehreren großen Fabriken betrieben. Die Baumwollfabrikation in verschiedenen Abteilungen, die jetzt das Grundnahrungsmittel ist, erhielt einen großen Impuls durch die Erfindungen der beiden Eingeborenen, John und Robert Kay, und durch das Unternehmen des Vaters des verstorbenen Sir Robert Peel und unterhält gegenwärtig zahlreiche Fabriken für Spinnerei und Weberei, Bedrucken und Bleichen sowie zum Färben. Es gibt auch mehrere Eisengießereien, Maschinenfabriken, Hutmacherhäuser und andere Produktionsstätten. Die Oberfläche ist hügelig und die Schichten liefern Kohle und Bausteine. Die Stadt gab früher zwei Abgeordnete an das Parlament zurück, aber nach dem Reform Act von 1832 entsendet sie jetzt nur noch ein Mitglied in das House of Commons. Seine Grenzen umfassen neben der gesamten Gemeinde Bury einen Teil der Gemeinde Elton. Fläche des parlamentarischen Bezirks, 4368 Hektar Einwohner, 55.491 Fläche des Kreisbezirks, 6028 Hektar Einwohner, 57.212.

Die Gemeinde umfasst die Gemeinden Bury, Eiton, Heap, Walmersley-cum-Shuttleworth, Tottington-Lower-End, Tottington-Higher-End, Musbury, Musden Head und Tripit of Ogden sowie Coupe Lench mit Newhall-Hey und Hall-Carr. Gebiet der Zivilgemeinde Bury, 2330 Hektar Einwohner, 41.038 der Kirchengemeinde der Heiligen Dreifaltigkeit, 6147 St. Johannes, 5945 St. Markus, 8344 St. Maria, 4480 St. Paul, 6899 St. Peter, 4409 und St. Thomas, 4834. St. Mary's Is ein Pfarrhaus St. Johns, St. Pauls, Holy Trinity und St. Markus sind Pfarrhäuser. St. Peter und St. Thomas sind ewige Kuratien, in der Diözese Manchester Wert von St. Mary's, £1500 von St. John's, £400 von St. Pauls, £300 von Holy Trinity, £343 von St. Thomas, £293 von St , £304. Patron von St. Mary's, der Earl of Derby, und der andere, der Rektor. Chamber Hall, in der Nähe der Stadt, war der Geburtsort des verstorbenen Sir Robert Peel.


Die Cole-Familiengeschichte

Ich habe die Cole's seit über 30 Jahren verfolgt und habe die meisten Pfarreien in Devon und Cornwall. Dies ist nur eine kleine Menge an Informationen, die ich über die Familie oder die Familien, in die sie geheiratet haben, gefunden habe. Bitte zögern Sie nicht, mich zu kontaktieren, wenn Sie Fragen zu Cole aus Devon oder Cornwall haben. Die meisten Coles in meiner Datenbank sind vor 1800, außer meiner direkten Leitung. Kontaktieren Sie mich unter [email protected]

Sie waren einer der größten Landbesitzer in Devon, Cornwall und Somerset nach den Aufzeichnungen des Parlaments bis Ende des 16. Die meisten Ländereien wurden in Ehesiedlungen vergeben.

Ich habe Ehen mit einigen der bekannten Familien im Westen des Landes gefunden, wie Courtney's, Arundell's, Edgecombe's, Treymaine's, Grenville, Raleigh, Drake, Gilbert, Hele, Durnford und Moreshead's gibt es noch mehr.

Sir Francis Drakes Großmutter war Margaret Cole, ihr Vater John war auch der Großvater von Sir Walter Raleigh, Sir Richard Grenville, Joan Durnford, Joan heiratete in die Egdecombe-Familie ein

Ich habe eine schöne Website von Howard Cole gefunden, die viel Geschichte der Cole-Familie enthält

Meine Webseite enthält Informationen, die ich gefunden habe und die möglicherweise nicht auf der Howards-Website erwähnt werden.

Dies sind einige der Details, die ich über die Cole's in Devon und Cornwall gefunden habe

Trevenna, einst Sitz der Mohuns, ist heute im Besitz von Joseph Grigg. Mennabroom, früher Sitz der Coles, ist heute ein Bauernhaus im Besitz von John Buller, Esq. Hole ist Eigentum und Wohnsitz von Herrn John Rundle.

Alte Familien, von denen der Hauptzweig seit 1620 ausgestorben oder entfernt wurde, aber einige der Nachkommen bleiben in der Grafschaft.

Arme: Silber, ein Bulle passant, Sab., innerhalb einer Grenze des zweiten, bezanty.

Sir George Southcote aus Shillingford, ältester Sohn von Thomas Southcote aus Indiho, heiratete mit seiner dritten Frau eine Miterbin von Cole von Buckland Touissaints und war Vorfahre des verstorbenen John Henry Southcote, Esq., der Buckland verkaufte, und starb 1820.

Aus: 'Allgemeine Geschichte: Familien entfernt seit 1620', Magna Britannia: Band 6: Devonshire (1822), S. CLXXIII-CCXXV. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=50555&strquery=Cole%20of%20Cornwall

Hody aus Netheway in Brixham. Sir John Hody aus Stowel in Somersetshire erwarb diesen Ort in Ehe mit der Erbin von Cole, die ebenfalls in Pillesdon wohnte, in Dorsetshire heiratete sein Sohn Sir John Hody, Chief Justice of the King's Bench, die Erbin von Jewe , von Whitfield, und Beerhall, in Devon die Nachkommenschaft seines älteren Sohns setzte in Netheway für mehrere Abstiege fort. John Hody, Esq., verkaufte 1696 Netheway und verließ Devon. Edmund Hody, Dr heiratete Burland aus Dorsetshire und Hody aus Northover in Somersetshire. Sir William Hody, zweiter Sohn des Lord Chief Justice, war Chief Baron of the Exchequer und Vorfahre der Hody's of Pillesdon in Dorsetshire und Crewkerne in Somersetshire. Robert Hody, Esq., der während der Regierungszeit von Königin Elizabeth aus Crewkerne war, hatte zwei Söhne John, der ältere, der aus Beer-Hall (Thorncombe) in Devon stammte, hinterließ eine einzige Tochter, die mit Bowditch verheiratet war, der nächste Sohn war Vorfahr der Hodys aus Northover in Somersetshire, deren Zweig der 1706 verstorbene Gelehrte Dr. Humphry Hody, Erzdiakon von Oxford, war.

Arms of Hody: Argent, eine Fesse-Partei, per Fesse eingerückt, V. und S. zwischen zwei Cottisen gegengetauscht.

Carminow von Carminow in Mawgan (Meneage), soll dort schon vor der Eroberung besiedelt gewesen sein, aber nicht weiter zurückverfolgt werden als die Regierungszeit Heinrichs III. Die männliche Linie des Ältestenzweigs starb um die Mitte des 14. Jahrhunderts aus, als die Miterben Arundell, Trewarthian und Petit heirateten. Die Miterben eines jüngeren Zweiges, die sich bereits unter Eduard III. in Boconnoc niederließen, heirateten gegen Ende des 15. Jahrhunderts Carew und Courtenay. Ein jüngerer Zweig der Carminows von Boconnoc ließ sich in Fentongollan nieder und erhielt einen sehr umfangreichen Grundbesitz, der um das Jahr 1600 aufgegeben wurde. Dieser Zweig starb nicht lange danach aus, die Miterben heirateten Salter und Cole (Fn. 6). Die Miterben eines jüngeren Zweigs der Carminows of Fentongollan (ansässig in Resprin in St. Winnow) heirateten Prideaux und Flamanck. Dieser Zweig, der von Walter, einem dritten Sohn von Walter Carminow von Boconnoc, abstammte, heiratete die Erbin von Resprin und Miterben von Trenowth und Champernon Nicholas, ein jüngerer Sohn dieses Zweigs, heiratete eine Miterbin von Wolvedon. Die Erben eines anderen jüngeren Zweiges der Familie Fentongollan (siedeln in Trenowth) heirateten Boscawen und Herle. Ein dritter Zweig dieser Familie war von Polmawgan in St. Winnow, von wo sie nach Trehannick in St. Teath umzogen, wo William Carminow, der letzte männliche Erbe dieser alten Familie, im Jahr 1646 starb Thomas Carminow, von diesem Zweig , heiratete die Miterbin von Hilliard. Der gemeinsame Vorfahre der Carminows heiratete die Erbin von Rawleigh. Der Boconnoc-Zweig heiratete vor der Abzweigung der Familie Fentongollan die Erbinnen von Glynn und Tynten. Der Zweig von Fentongollan heiratete die Erbin von Resprin und die Miterbin von Trenowth, die Fentongollan von Trejago erbte.

Aus: 'Allgemeine Geschichte: Ausgestorbene Adelsfamilien', Magna Britannia: Band 3: Cornwall (1814), S. CXVIII-CLXXIV. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=50618&strquery=Cole%20%20of%20St%20Neot

Cole heiratete eine Miterbin von Carminow. Arme:Arg. ein Bulle passant, Gules, an einer Grenze Sable, acht Bezants.

Aus: 'Allgemeine Geschichte: Ausgestorbene Adelsfamilien', Magna Britannia: Band 3: Cornwall (1814), S. CXVIII-CLXXIV. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=50618&strquery=Cole%20%20of%20St%20Neot

Nach der Behandlung der kornischen Familien bemerkt Dr. Borlase in einem seiner Manuskripte: "Es ist eine melancholische Betrachtung, auf so viele große Familien (Fn. 22) zurückzublicken, die früher die Grafschaft Cornwall geschmückt haben und jetzt sind". nicht mehr die Grenvilles, die Arundells, Carminows, Champernons, Bodrugans, Mohuns, Killegrews, Bevilles, Trevanions, die in diesen Gegenden großen Einfluss und Besitz hatten Sie haben ihren Frühlings- und Sommersonnenschein, ihren Schwinden, Verfall und Tod, sie gedeihen und leuchten vielleicht für Ewigkeiten, endlich wird ihr Licht erblassen, und in einer Krise, wenn die Absätze verdorrt und der alte Bestand ist gesprengt, verschwindet der ganze Stamm und verlässt die Welt, wie sie Cornwall getan haben. Es gibt Grenzen für alles unter der Sonne: Der Mensch wird nicht in Ehre bleiben. Von allen menschlichen Eitelkeiten ist der Familienstolz eine der schwächsten. Leser geh deinen Weg, sichere deine Na mich im Buch des Lebens, wo die Seite nicht verblasst, noch der Titel sich ändert oder verfällt, überlasse den Rest den Herolden und dem Pfarrregister."

Aus: 'Allgemeine Geschichte: Ausgestorbene Adelsfamilien', Magna Britannia: Band 3: Cornwall (1814), S. CXVIII-CLXXIV. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=50618&strquery=Cole%20%20of%20St%20Neot

Gemeinden
Otterham - Probus

POUGHILL, im Hundertviertel von Stratton und im Dekanat Trigg-Major, liegt eine Meile nordwestlich von Stratton. Das Herrenhaus wurde von Hubert de Burgh, Earl of Kent, an die Abtei von Clive in Somersetshire geschenkt: es wurde von König James I. an George Salter und John Williams verkauft: Dr. Borlase sagt, dass es zu seiner Zeit Mr. John Stanbury of Broomhill: es ist jetzt Eigentum von Thomas Trood, Esq., der es von dem verstorbenen John Cunyngham Saunders, Esq., einem bedeutenden Chirurgen in London, erworben hat, der durch seine Einrichtung eines Krankenhauses für Augenkrankheiten bekannt ist. und seine Verbesserungen in dieser chirurgischen Abteilung. Dieses Herrenhaus besteht nur aus einem Königshaus, das sich über die Gemeinde erstreckt, zu dem weder Land noch Pacht gehören.

William of Worcester berichtet in seiner Reiseroute von Cornwall, geschrieben in der Regierungszeit von Edward IV., dass im Jahr 1437 Nicholas Radford, Berater des Lord Bonville gegen Thomas Earl of Devon, in seinem eigenen Haus in Poughill von Thomas, dem ältesten Sohn des besagten Earl, der später den Titel errang.

Flexbury, in dieser Gemeinde, die Residenz von Herr Ralph Cole, gehört dem Rev. Charles Dayman. Maer ist Eigentum und Wohnsitz von Richard Martyn Braddon, Esq. Broomhill, das Eigentum und der späte Wohnsitz von Thomas Trood, Esq. Reeds wurde kürzlich von John Vikry Jose, Esq., für seinen eigenen Wohnsitz gebaut.

Die bekannte Schlacht von Stratton wurde in dieser Gemeinde, in der Nähe der Stadt Stratton, auf einem Hügel ausgetragen, der nach der Position des Earl of Stamford, des Parlamentsgenerals, Stamford's Hill (Fn. 38) genannt wird: in der Im Jahr 1713 wurde an dieser Stelle ein Denkmal mit der folgenden Inschrift errichtet: "An diesem Ort erhielt die Armee der Rebellen unter dem Kommando des Earl of Stamford ein Signal zum Sturz durch die Tapferkeit von Sir Beville Granville und die kornische Armee, am Dienstag, den 6. Mai 1643, von George Lord Lansdowne, dem Rechnungsprüfer des Haushalts und einem der wichtigsten Außenminister." Dieses Denkmal wurde vor der Erinnerung eines heute Lebenden abgenommen: Die Tafel mit der Inschrift wurde nach Stratton gebracht und an der Vorderseite des Markthauses befestigt, als an diesem Gebäude einige Änderungen vorgenommen wurden, sie wurde wieder entfernt und platziert vor dem Gasthaus Baum, wo es noch steht.

Die großen Zehnten von Poughill, die dem Priorat von Launceston angeeignet wurden, wurden in mehreren Teilen verkauft, die von Flexbury, Hollabury, Coumbe und Coumbe-Parks gehören George Boughton Kingdon, Esq. Der Pfarrhof ist in der Schenkung der Krone.

In den folgenden 200-300 Jahren expandierte die Familie in Devon und wurde durch Ritterschaft und durch Heirat mit heraldischen Erbinnen und dadurch Erwerb von Land zu prominenten Bürgern (12). Um 1500 wurde ein Zweig der Familie in Sudbury, Suffolk und anderen ansässig Zweig dieser Familie ging nach Winchester.

CORNWALLS, oder EVER CORNWALLIS MANOR, das 1086 unter das Haupthaus eingegliedert wurde, erhielt wahrscheinlich seine eigene Identität, als die Ehre von Wallingford von Henry II an sich gerissen wurde. Im Gegensatz zu Iver Manor blieb es bis etwa Mitte des 14.

Das Herrenhaus wurde 1254 von Richard Earl of Cornwall in Besitz genommen, der es seinem unehelichen Sohn Richard Cornwall unterwarf. Um 1300 wurde Richard von seinem Sohn Geoffrey abgelöst, der Margaret Mortimer heiratete und 1328 das Herrenhaus auf ihrem Sohn Richard und seiner Frau Sibyl in Tail-Male ansiedelte. Geoffrey Cornwall starb 1335 und Richard 1343, seine Witwe Sibyl überlebte bis 1349, als Iver an ihren vierzehnjährigen Sohn Geoffrey überging, für den Alan Clavering 1350 zum Vormund ernannt wurde 1357, und starb 1365, hinterließ einen Sohn Brian, einen Minderjährigen, und eine Witwe Cecilia, die 1369 starb. Bei Brians Tod ohne Nachkommen im Jahr 1400 folgte sein Bruder Richard Cornwall und hinterließ als Erbe bei seinem Tod im Jahr 1443 Thomas Cornwall, Sohn seines Sohnes Edmund. Thomas Cornwall wurde 1461 erworben und verlor das Herrenhaus, das 1468 unter dem Namen Cornwalls Manor John Shuckborough und Nicholas Clevely auf Lebenszeit verliehen wurde. Im Jahr 1473 gewann Edmund, Sohn von Thomas Cornwall, das Land seines Vaters zurück, das er seinem Sohn Thomas bei seinem Tod im Jahr 1489 vermachte. 1506 veräußerte Sir Thomas Cornwall Cornwalls Manor an Treuhänder, von denen es von William Haddon erworben wurde. Letzterer starb 1521 davon beschlagnahmt und hinterließ einen Sohn Thomas, während dessen Minderjährigkeit sein Vormund William Saunders dem König in betrügerischer Absicht Geld vorenthielt. Thomas Haddon scheint 1540 Cornwalls an die Windsors verpfändet zu haben, übertrug jedoch Robert Wolman die Reversion, der 1568 sein Recht daran Edward Nelson und anderen übertrug. William Onslow behauptete jedoch, Wolman habe ihm die Reversion übertragen, und er veräußerte das Herrenhaus 1570 an James Heblethwaite und Percival Haddon, wobei letzterer kurz darauf auf sein Recht verzichtete. James Heblethwaite gewann den Prozess, der zur Regelung des Besitzes des Anwesens anhängig war, und übertrug das Herrenhaus 1591 an Richard Barton. Bis 1617 war es in den Besitz von Edward gekommen, später Sir Edward Salter und Ursula seiner Frau. Sir Edward ließ den größten Teil seiner Güter in Iver auf seinem Sohn Sir William und dessen Nachkommen durch seine erste Frau Mary Shirland nieder und starb 1647. Sir William, der vor ihm gestorben war, erbte das Herrenhaus an dessen zweiten, aber ersten überlebenden Sohn und Erben Christopher Salter. Nach Christophers Tod ohne Nachkommen im folgenden Jahr erbte seine Schwester und Erbin Elizabeth Cornwalls. Ihr Ehemann Thomas Cole wurde 1649 als Royalist zu einer Geldstrafe von 20 Pfund verurteilt, und bei seiner Entlassung 1653 übertrug er und seine Frau ihre Rechte in Cornwalls Manor an Anne Salter, Elizabeths Stiefmutter. Bis 1695 war das Herrenhaus an Thomas und Richard Berenger gekommen, von denen es 1699 an Christopher Tower verkauft wurde, der 1728 starb, als es an seinen Sohn Christopher überging. Letzterer starb 1771 und hinterließ einen Sohn Christopher, der 1778 mit der Verpflichtung brach. Er hielt Cornwalls Manor bis zu seinem Tod im Jahr 1810, als ihm sein Sohn, ein anderer Christopher, folgte, der 1840 Sheriff für die Grafschaft war Tod im Jahr 1867, sein Besitz ging an seinen Sohn Christopher, MP . über für Buckinghamshire 1845, der 1884 starb. Sein Sohn Mr. Christopher John Hume Tower ist der gegenwärtige Besitzer dieses Anwesens.

"Bestellt, von den Lords and Commons, &c. Dass Richard Cole Esquire Sheriff der Grafschaft Som'sett ist und dass die Kommissare des Großen Siegels von England ihm entsprechend eine Kommission erteilen, Sheriff der besagten Grafschaft zu sein." ."

Gemeinden
Mabe - Maddern

Heligan gehörte früher zu den Hügeln und scheint durch Heirat mit der Erbin von Fantleroy erworben worden zu sein, die die Erbin von Thomas Flamank heiratete. Um die Mitte des 17. Jahrhunderts war Heligan, das heute ein Bauernhaus ist, der Sitz der Familie von Silly. Es wurde von Miss Julia Silly (jetzt Ehefrau von William Lyddon, Esq.) an E. J. Glynn, Esq., den jetzigen Besitzer, verkauft. Tredethy, einst der Sitz der Familien May und Lang, ist heute Eigentum und Residenz von Francis John Hext, Esq. Penwyn, einst ein Sitz der Porters, ist heute das Eigentum und die Residenz von Mr. William Cole, dessen Familie es seit geraumer Zeit besitzt

De Wenn oder Dewen von Gwinnear, drei Generationen vor 1620 verfolgt, heiratete eine Miterbin von Culland. Der gegenwärtige männliche Vertreter dieser Familie ist Mr. James Dewen, Chirurg und Apotheker in Marazion. Mr. F. Cole, Sohn des verstorbenen Captain F. Cole von der Royal Navy, ist der Vertreter der älteren Zweige weiblicher Abstammung.

Arme von Dewen:Arg. auf einem Chevron - - - - drei Kleeblätter - - - -.

House of Commons Journal Band 4
1. Dezember 1646

Die Lords Concurrence ist hier zu wünschen.

Gelöst, &c. Dass dieses Haus Richard Cole Esquire zum Sheriff der Grafschaft Somersett ernennt und ernennt: Und dass die Kommissare für das Große Siegel von England ihm entsprechend eine Kommission erteilen, Sheriff der besagten Grafschaft zu sein.

Aus: 'House of Commons Journal Band 4: 1. Dezember 1646', Journal of the House of Commons: Band 4: 1644-1646 (1802), S. 732-34. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=23835&strquery=Cole%20of%20Cornwall

House of Commons Journal Band 9
10. November 1670

Bestellt, dass Sir Richard Cole, Richard Lamerton und Thom. Coning, in die Gewahrsam des Serjeant at Arms oder seines Stellvertreters geschickt werden, weil er seine Privilegien verletzt hat, indem er gewaltsam in das Haus und das Land von Herrn Henry Seymoure, einem Mitglied dieses Hauses, in Lanracke in Cornwall eindringt und sich umdreht seine Diener aus dem Besitz

Aus: 'House of Commons Journal Volume 9: 10. November 1670', Journal of the House of Commons: Volume 9: 1667-1687 (1802), S. 161-62. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=27217&strquery=Cole%20of%20Cornwall

Bury, of Doniton in Swimbridge. Bury in Lapford war der ursprüngliche Wohnsitz der alten Familie von Bury, deren älterer Zweig 1630 dort verblieb, aber wahrscheinlich besaßen sie auch Coleton in Chulmleigh, der von der Erbin von Cole . stammte in der Regierungszeit von Richard II. und wird als ihr Sitz in der Heimsuchung der Herolde von 1620 beschrieben. Doniton gehörte später zu ihnen. Die Erbin von Giffard, von Yeo, heiratete in diese Familie ein. Thomas Bury, Esq., der letzte männliche Erbe, starb 1804. Er heiratete eine Miterbin von Molineux, hinterließ aber keine Nachkommen. Seine Witwe vermachte die Güter von Bury und Coleton an Richard Incledon, Esq., jetzt Vizeadmiral der Weißen, der den Namen Bury angenommen hat und in Doniton wohnt, aber nicht der Vertreter der Familie ist.

Arme: ähm. in einer Kurve, Az., drei Lilien, Or.

Gemeinden
Haccombe - Hittesleigh

HARFORD oder HERFORD, im Hunderter von Ermington und im Dekanat von Plympton, liegt ungefähr fünf Meilen von Brent und sechs von Modbury. Ein Teil von Ivybridge ist in dieser Gemeinde.

Das Herrenhaus gehörte in einer frühen Zeit den Peverells, Lords of the Hundert von Ermington unter der Herrschaft von Edward III., später den Harstons der Familie von Cole. Im Jahr 1622 wurde es von Christopher Cole an Sir Richard Buller und andere, wahrscheinlich Treuhänder, für Williams of Stowford verkauft, dessen Familie zu dieser Zeit davon besessen wurde. Für diesen Nachlass wurden in letzter Zeit keine Grundrechte ausgeübt. Das Herrenhaus oder nominelle Herrenhaus von East Harford, alias Stowford, gehörte in einer frühen Zeit Matthew de Ivybridge, dessen Tochter es Dymock brachte. Von letzterem ging es auf Bonville über und wurde durch den Erlanger verwirkt. Es wurde später durch Kauf von der Krone, wie Sir William Pole annimmt, Eigentum von Adam Williams, dessen Sohn Thomas Williams, Esq., unter der Regierung von Königin Elizabeth Sprecher des Unterhauses war. Die Mutter des Sprechers war eine Prideaux, und es ist wahrscheinlich, dass der gelehrte Dr. John Prideaux, einst Bischof von Worcester (Fn. 18), geboren 1578 in Stowford, ein Verwandter dieser Familie war, obwohl Anthony von ihm spricht Holz von bescheidener Herkunft. John Williams, Enkel des Speakers, scheint Stowford unter Charles I. an die Saverys verkauft zu haben, die dort einige Zeit lebten. Von Savery ging es vor nicht allzu vielen Jahren durch Verkauf an Mr. Dunsterville aus Plymouth und von ihm an Mr. Rivers, der das Gasthaus in Ivybridge führte. Es ist jetzt das Eigentum von Herrn Philip Bowen, der von den Gläubigern von Herrn Rivers gekauft hat. Das alte Herrenhaus der Familie Williams wurde abgerissen und das jetzige Haus von Mr. Rivers gebaut.

Hittesleigh, im Hundert von Wonford und im Dekanat von Dunsford, liegt ungefähr sieben Meilen von Crediton und ungefähr gleich weit von Moreton Hamptsted entfernt.

Das Herrenhaus gehörte in alter Zeit den Talbots. Unter der Regierung von Edward I. war es in den Coles, die unter den Talbots (Fn. 67) und später nacheinander in den Familien von London und Shilston hielten. Von letzterem ging es von einer weiblichen Erben an Calmady über. Es ist jetzt das Eigentum von Mrs. Calmady von Langdon Hall in Wembury, der Erbin der letztgenannten Familie, der auch der Advowson des Pfarrhauses gehört.

Hundert Rolle. Es gab mehrere Mesne-Lords zwischen Cole und der Krone. Cole hielt von Talbot, Talbot von Punchardon, Punchardon von Bolhay, Bolhay von Courtenay und Courtenay von der Krone als Parzelle der Baronie von Oakharapton.

Widecombe oder Withecombe Ralegh

WIDCOMBE, oder WITHECOMBE RALEGH (Fn. 39), im Hundert von East Budleigh und im Dekanat von Aylesbeare, grenzt an die Gemeinde Exmouth und umfasst einen Teil dieser Stadt, genannt Withecombe Exmouth.

Das Herrenhaus von Withecombe Ralegh, früher Withecombe Clavill genannt, gehörte in alter Zeit den Clavills, die es zur Zeit der Domesday-Erhebung und danach für viele Abstiege den Raleghs hielten. 1756 war es im Besitz von Bassett, von dem es durch aufeinanderfolgende Verkäufe an Jackson und Cutler überging. Es ist jetzt das Eigentum von Edward Divett, Esq., dessen Vater es im Jahr 1801 kaufte. Westcote sagt, dass dieses Herrenhaus von dem Dienst gehalten wurde, dem König zwei gute Pfeile in einem Haferkuchen zu finden, wenn er in Dartmoor jagen sollte. (Fn. 40)

Die Drakes besaßen beträchtlichen Besitz in dieser Gemeinde. Sir William Pole beschreibt Rill in Withecombe Ralegh als Teil einer gleichnamigen Familie, deren Erbin Duke heiratete, und die Miterben von Duke, Sokespitch und Cole. Ein Teil dieses Vermögens blieb zu Sir William Poles Zeiten in der Familie von Sokespitch bestehen: Coles Anteil war von aufeinanderfolgenden weiblichen Erben an Drake und Raymond übergegangen. Sir William Pole spricht auch von einem Herrenhaus von Withecombe, das die Raymonds von Drake geerbt hatten. Die Drakes hatten 1628 das Herrenhaus oder nominelle Herrenhaus von Hulham in dieser Gemeinde, das Robert Drake, Esq Predigende Prediger in den Pfarreien East Budleigh, Littleham und Withecombe Ralegh und andere wohltätige Zwecke. Der andere Teil war damals in der Familie von Warren: Er gehört jetzt der Witwe von Mr. John Warren. Das Herrenhaus von Broadham and Rill, innerhalb des Herrenhauses von Withecombe Ralegh, gehört W. T. Hull, Esq., der in Marpool in dieser Gemeinde wohnt. Courtland, in dieser Gemeinde, wurde durch einen späten Kauf der Sitz von Sir Walter Roberts, Bart. Es war einige Zeit Eigentum und Wohnsitz von Charles Baring, Esq. Whimsey ist Eigentum und Wohnsitz von Edward Payne, Esq.

NS. NEOT, im hundertsten Dekanat West, liegt etwa fünf Meilen westnordwestlich von Liskeard, der Poststadt etwa acht östlich von Bodmin und ebenso weit nordöstlich von Lostwithiel. Es gibt kein Dorf in dieser Gemeinde, außer der Kirchenstadt, die groß ist. Der Hof des Erzdiakons wurde an diesem Ort gehalten, bis es 1753 nach Lostwithiel und von dort 1773 nach Bodmin verlegt wurde, wo es heute gehalten wird.

Am Ostermontag und am 5. November finden in St. Neot Weihnachtsmärkte statt. St. Neot liegt an der alten Straße von Bodmin nach Liskeard. Bei der Vermessung des Domesday befand sich an dieser Stelle ein Kollegium, damals Neotstow genannt, dessen Gutshof damals und unter Eduard dem Bekenner den Kanonikern von St. Neot gehört haben soll.

Wir finden keinen Bericht über das Herrenhaus von St. Neot bis in die letzten dreißig Jahre, in dem es drei verschiedene Besitzer hatte: es wurde vom verstorbenen Elias Lang, Esq., an den verstorbenen Sir John Morshead, Bart., verkauft. der auch das Herrenhaus von St. NeotBarrett besaß, wahrscheinlich ein geteilter Teil des ursprünglichen Herrenhauses, das von seinen Besitzern den Namen Barrett erhalten hatte, gehören nun beide seiner Witwe Lady Morshead.

Es ist wahrscheinlich, dass das Domesday-Herrenhaus von Fawintone, das als Besitz des Earl of Moreton in demesne beschrieben wurde, einen großen Bezirk am Ufer des Fowey umfasste, der in dieser Gemeinde entspringt, und sich bis zum Borough of Fowey an seiner Mündung erstreckte. Zu einem späteren Zeitpunkt besaß die Familie Cardinham sicherlich das Herrenhaus und die Gemeinde Fowey, und es scheint, dass es zwei Herrenhäuser von Faweton gegeben hat, die sich beide voneinander unterscheiden und wahrscheinlich beide innerhalb der Gemeinde St. Neot als einer von sie sind immer noch bekannt. Unter Heinrich III. gab es ein Herrenhaus von Faweton, das Andrew de Suleny gehörte, bei dessen Tod es ohne Nachkommen an seinen Onkel Jessery überging und er ohne Nachkommen starb, es wurde von seinen Schwestern in Moieties geerbt : ein Teil ging durch Heirat an die Treverbyns über, der andere durch eine Reihe weiblicher Erben, bis zur Regierungszeit von Henry V., an die Familien Champernowne, Willington und Wroth (Fn. 1) . Sir Reginald Mohun starb 1620 von einem Herrenhaus von Fawton beschlagnahmt (Fn. 2). Wir konnten dieses Herrenhaus nicht tiefer aufspüren, es gibt drei kleine Mietskasernen des Namens in St. Neot, von denen zwei kürzlich von E. J. Glynn, Esq. (Fn. 3) der andere gehört Thomas Bewes, Esq.

Das Herrenhaus von Faweton, alias Trenay, gehörte der Familie Daubeny von der Regierungszeit von Edward I. (wenn nicht früher) bis zu der von Heinrich VIII., als Sir Giles Daubeny es an John Tubb verkaufte, von dessen Sohn George es gekauft wurde William Bere, Esq. (Fn. 4) Die Miterben von Bere heirateten Sir John Grylls von Court in Lanreath und Bellott von Bochym. Rev. Richard Gerveys Grylls besitzt einen Teil dieses Herrenhauses durch Erbschaft und hat den anderen Teil, der einige Zeit in mehreren Jahren bestanden hatte, erworben: die Teile wurden im Jahr 1722 durch eine Urkunde geteilt. Das Herrenhaus von Polruan in Lantegloss, heute das Eigentum von William Rashleigh, Esq. M. P., wurde früher mit diesem Herrenhaus gehalten. Die Gerichtsvollzieherei der Hundert West (Fn. 5) ist dem Herrenhaus von Faweton alias Trenay angegliedert. The barton of Trenay was sold by the Tubbs to Connock we understand there are three Trenays Great and Little Trenay, united in one tenement, the property of Francis Gregor, Esq. and Higher Trenay belonging to Thomas Bewes, Esq.

The manor of West-Draynes, formerly belonging to the Carews (fn. 6) , and, at a later period to the Tillies, is now the property of J. Tillie Coryton, Esq. The manor of Pengelly belonged to Sir William Molins, who was slain at the siege of Orleans in 1428, and was inherited by the family of Hastings. In the reign of James I. it was in the Moyles: the present possessor is Francis Gregor, Esq., of Trewarthenick, who purchased it of the late Sir Lionel Copley, Bart. (fn. 7) This manor was held, in the reign of James I., by the service of providing a grey cloak for the Duke, whenever he should come into Cornwall, and delivering it at Poulstonbridge to the lord of the manor of Cabilia, whose office it was to attend the Duke with it during his stay in Cornwall (fn. 8) . A more ancient record, as printed in Blount's Tenures, assigns the service of providing the cloak to the lord of Cabilia, and that of carrying it to the lord of Pengelly. The manor of Trevegoe was in moieties, in the reign of James I. one moiety, which had been purchased by Hodge, belonged then to Matthew Veale the other, which had been in the Hungerfords, had been forfeited by attainder, and granted to Arundell, was then, by purchase from Layton, in the family of Bagott (fn. 9) : this manor now belongs to Lady Morshead. The manor of Treverbyn, which belonged to the Courtenays of Trethurfe, appears to have been dismembered: the Earl of Cork, who represents one of the coheiresses of Courtenay, possesses a small tenement of that name. The manor of Cabilla, Cabilia, or Carburrow, the property of the Honourable Mrs. Agar, (the barton of which is in Cardinham,) extends over a considerable part of this parish.

Trevenna, some time a seat of the Mohuns, is now the property of Joseph Grigg. Mennabroom, formerly a seat of the Coles, is now a farm-house, the property of John Buller, Esq. Hole is the property and residence of Mr. John Rundle.

In the parish-church are considerable remains of painted glass, containing the legends of St. Neot and other saints, as hath been already described. It is said by some of the Monkish historians, that this church was originally dedicated to St. Guevor or Guerrier, and subsequently to St. Neot, who, for many years, had led a hermit's life, and died and was buried at this place. The great tithes of this parish were formerly appropriated to the priory of Montacute (fn. 10) , in the county of Somerset: they are now, with some exceptions, the property of the Rev. R. G. Grylls, who is patron and the present incumbent of the vicarage. The tithesheaf of the manor of St. Neot-Barrett is appropriated to the repairs of the church. Two-thirds of the great and small tithes of two of the Fawtons, and some other farms, (which tithes now belong to the Duke of Bedford, and Thomas Bewes, Esq. (fn. 11) ,) were appropriated in former times to the repair of Launceston castle. There are the remains of a chapel dedicated to St. Luke, in this parish, on the borders of Alternon, a mile north-east of Dosmery pool: the ancient font remains. The estate on which this chapel stood, called Pinnock's and Luke's hills, and containing about 300 acres, has been unclaimed for many years: in 1613 it was in the Trefusis family.

John Anstis, Esq., Garter King of Arms, author of "The Black Book of the Order of the Garter," and an industrious collector of records relating to Cornwall and other counties, was born at St. Neot, in the year 1699.

Personal Ancestral File 5.2 (build 5.2.18.0) is a Windows based version of one of the most widely used genealogical management programs for home computers. The software program can be downloaded free from the Internet. PAF 5.2 does not provide genealogical data. Instead, it helps users organize their family history records. It can produce, either on screen or on paper, family histories, pedigree charts, family group records, and other reports to help users in their search for missing ancestors.

This version includes changes to the individual record to accommodate the wide variety of naming conventions used throughout the world. This version will convert PAF 3.0 and 4.0 data files to its improved file format. PAF 5.2 is also available on compact disc and includes Personal Ancestral File Companion which allows users to produce additional reports and charts.


Bury My Heart Apart from Me: The History of Heart Burial

Just as you might give a heart-shaped card to a loved one to show your affection, European royalty once bequeathed their actual hearts cut from their corpses to places they cared for. Heart burial had its high point of fashion in the 12th and 13th centuries, although it continues as a romantic funereal tradition to present day. 

This trend of heart burial coincided with Middle Ages military campaigns like the Crusades, where people were journeying far from home, and often dying there. Rather than send the whole body back, sometimes just the deceased’s heart was transported, preserved in lead or ivory boxes, often with spices to keep it from smelling too much. Also, you tend to get more prayers and venerations when you’re split up, as the religious would well know from the relics of saints. Occasionally these hearts were even buried in miniature effigies showing tiny knights in full armor. And according to Clare Gittings and Peter C. Jupp’s Death in England: An Illustrated History, “it is possible that some small monuments traditionally claimed to be the tombs of children are in fact heart monuments.”  

“The dispersed burial of monarchs and other dignitaries was common. After Henry I’s death in Normandy in 1135 from eating poisonous eels, his heart was sewn into the hide of a bull for preservation and transported back to England to be buried, while the rest of him was interred where it was. The heart of England’s Richard I — whose nickname, Couer de Lion (Lionheart), is rumored to have come from his ripping out and consuming the heart of a lion to acquire its courage — had his legendary cardiac muscle buried separately from his other remains.”  

The tomb of Richard the Lionheart’s heart (photograph by Walwyn/Flickr user)

The brave heart of Richard — a king who may or may not have eaten a lion heart in front of his court, per the 13th century outlandish legend — was buried in Rouen, France. The heart rested there from 1199 until it was exhumed in� and analyzed by scientists. While they weren’t able to find out much about his death, they did find out a lot about heart embalming, including the use of frankincense for a biblical tone along with spices, vegetables, myrtle, daisy, mint, and even some mercury.

This was a more elaborate treatment than most hearts were likely to get. As Eric Edwards of the Pitt Rivers Museum wrote in an article on their own preserved heart, charmingly kept in a crude heart-shaped lead container that was found in Christ Church in Cork in 1863, “it is thought that hearts were removed by those deemed apt for such a chore and these included butchers and cooks.” 

Illustration of a what appears to be the heart niche at Leybourne Church (via Wikimedia)

Elaborate, full-size effigies like Richard’s were not uncommon for the highest of royalty — queen consort Eleanor of Castile’s heart interred at Blackfriars in London was memorialized by a huge monument topped by a metal angel that was destroyed in the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 16th century — but sometimes the memorials were more intimate.  

Sir Roger of Leybourne who died in 1271 during the Crusades, has his heart in a tiny casket alongside one for his wife in a niche in Leybourne Church in Kent. Reportedly, Victorians opened the caskets during a restoration, and found his heart enclosed in lead. However, the second for his wife was found to be empty, likely because she remarried after his death.  

To list the tiny heart burials of the Middle Ages elite would be a monumental task in itself, and to see the most striking of heart burials you have to jump ahead to the 16th century to Bar-le-Duc in France. There is one of the most haunting of heart burials, where a statue of a rotting corpse stretches its left arm up to the heavens with its heart in its hands.

This is a memorial to René de Chalon, Prince of Orange, who was killed at the age of 25 in 1544. The monument by Ligier Richier was completed in 1547, and originally the skeleton held Chalon’s very organ in a heart-shaped red box. Unfortunately, the reliquary was stolen during the French Revolution, and although the mortal terror-inducing statue remains, it just holds a heart facsimile.  

As a side note, the French Revolution really was an unfortunate time for royal hearts. Louis XIV’s mummified heart was also swiped. Reportedly part of it was accidentally eaten by geologist William Buckland in 1848 when he was examining a silver locket with a strange object in it (he’d apparently put it in his mouth to figure out what it was, perhaps the way he examined rocks). Meanwhile, the heart of the dauphin Louis XVII was kept by a surgeon dissecting the young prince after his death during revolutionary imprisonment, and in 1975 it finally was relocated to the Saint-Denis Basilica in Paris where it is presented in a clear vase. 

Heart of the dauphin (photograph by the author)

Grave of Thomas Hardy’s heart (photograph by Michael Day)

While heart burial became something of an oddity by the 14th century — with just outlandish monuments like the one for the Prince of Orange sporadically created — it still made appearances. The idea of being able to be buried in multiple places at once, and the significance of the heart as a source of emotion, was part of its endurance. For example, writer Thomas Hardy’s heart is buried in St. Michael’s churchyard in Dorset, while his ashes are in Westminster Abbey, so that he is both venerated as a British literary icon and rests alongside his family. However, story has long had it that the surgeon who sliced out Hardy’s heart in 1928 stored it in a cookie tin, where his cat discovered it and had it for a meal. Rumor is that an animal heart had to be buried beneath Hardy’s monument instead, although this remains something of legend instead of fact. 

And of course, we can’t leave out Percy Bysshe Shelley. After he drowned in 1822, his friends had a makeshift funeral pyre for his body, where Edward Trelawny pulled out a macabre memento from the poet. As Bess Lovejoy wrote in in an article for Atlas Obscura: “Trelawny reported that he reached in and snatched out Shelley’s heart. (Or what he thought was the heart—some say it was more likely the poet’s liver). After a brief custody battle the heart went to Mary Shelley, who kept it in a silk bag in her desk until she died.”  

Burial place of Pierre de Coubertin’s heart in Greece (photograph by David Holt)

Heart burial still occurs, sometimes like the Middle Ages royalty to express fondness for a place. Pierre de Coubertin, who died in 1937 and was the founder of the International Olympic Committee and integral in reviving the contemporary Olympic Games, has his heart interred in Olympia, Greece. Just in 2011, the heart of Archduke of Austria and Royal Prince of Hungary Otto von Habsburg was buried in a silver urn in Hungary’s Benedictine Abbey, while his body remained in Vienna, a way to posthumously embrace both sides of his heritage. 

There is something hopeful about heart burial, where you feel that some part of you might remain with this organ, even while it has long stopped beating. And even if the bloody heart, a delicate but strong engine for your whole being that’s only a bit bigger than your fist, is just another part of your temporary being that will all someday be gone, there is something oddly romantic about giving such an important piece of you to a beloved place. 

The pyramid holding sculptor Antonio Canova’s heart in Venice’s Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari (photograph by Anna Fox)

The mourner holding the urn with Canova’s heart (photograph by rjhuttondfw/Flickr user)

The burial place of a heart thought to belong to Robert the Bruce (photograph by Andrew Bowden)


Monument to the heart of François I in the Basilique Saint-Denis in Paris (via Wikimedia)


Thomas Talbot Bury

Thomas Talbot Bury (26 November 1809 - 23 February 1877) was a British architect and lithographer. Bury was articled to Augustus Charles Pugin in 1824 and started his own practice in Soho in 1830. At various times he collaborated with other notable architects including Charles Lee (partners between 1845 and 1849), Lewis Vulliamy and A. W. N. Pugin, with whom he detailed the Houses of Parliament under Sir Charles Barry.

Bury's works included thirty-five churches and chapels, fifteen parsonages, twelve schools and twenty other large public buildings and private homes. His ecclesiastical works included St Mary the Virgin's Church, Woodlands (near West Kingsdown), Kent (1850) the chapels at Tonbridge cemetery (1856) St James's Church, Dover (1859) and St John the Evangelist's Church in Burgess Hill, West Sussex (1861–63). He also carried out a restoration of St Peter and St Paul's Church at Temple Ewell near Dover.

Bury was also known for his engravings and lithography, notably of the works of Augustus Welby Pugin and Owen Jones. He exhibited at the Royal Academy between 1846 and 1872, and was noted for the sketches he produced for Ackerman's series of lithographs and aquatints of the "Coloured Views of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway", in 1831, republished in 1976.

Bury was made a Fellow of the RIBA in 1843 and was elected vice-president in 1876. He was also a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, a council member of the Royal Archaeological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland and an associate of the Society of Civil Engineers. Bury died at his home in Cavendish Square, London and is buried at West Norwood Cemetery.

Verweise:

Tregellas, W. H. (2004). "Bury, Thomas Talbot", in Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press.


Aus dem Graces Guide

of the Adelphi Silk Dyeworks, Salford

1833 :'Accidents. — An aged man named Thomas Weaville, private watchman to Messrs. Thomas Bury and Sons, of Salford, was about one o'clock on Saturday morning, dreadfully scalded under the following circumstances: —He had been ordered to superintend some silks which were being boiled in bags. The bags appearing above the surface of the water he attempted to put them down, when the pressure caused a quantity of boiling water to spirt forth, and injured him so severely that he expired on Saturday morning. An inquest was held on the body before Mr. Rutter, and a verdict of "accidental death" returned.' Ώ]

1839 Report on instances of hurricane damage: 'Early in the morning, the large octagonal chimney on the premises of Mr. Thos. Bury, Adelphi, was observed to vibrate by some workmen in the employ of Messrs. Gisborne and Wilson, and about six o'clock it fell with a loud crash. Five persons were upon the premises at the time, three of them in one of the rooms adjoining the engine-house, when the roof of the building was smashed by the coping-stones of the chimney. In a few seconds, about one half the chimney, which was originally 53 yards high, fell forward with tremendous crash, carrying down the roof and flooring of the finishing-room to the ground story, used as a boiler room, in which are two steam boilers, employed in working the steam engine. When the men saw the mass falling upon the building, they ran to the windows, and let themselves down to the ground. One man, less cautious, sprang from the window, and was a little bruised in the fall, as well as spraining both feet. Two of the hands, one of them a young man, named Gaskell, were in the boiler-house at the time the chimney fell. Two of the coping-stones fell within few inches of the place where Gaskell was standing and it is rather remarkable, that he escaped without any personal injury, his hat having been knocked off by some of the falling rubbish. Some idea may be entertained of the tremendous force of the crash, when we state that one of the large thick beams (18 inches square), of which several are placed across the building, was snapped in two in an instant. The engine was wholly uninjured, and the engine-house, a very substantial fire-proof building, received very little damage . ΐ]

1847 'An Artesian Well in Salford.—We learn that a well on this principle is now being bored by the Messrs. Mather, of Salford, for Mr. Thomas Bury, of the Adelphi, on the top of the hill at the end of Melbourne Terrace. The well is covered over by a wooden shed, under which also a small engine and the boring apparatus, which is constructed so to perform a kind of double eccentric movement. When they bore a certain depth cylinder is let down to the bottom, and the sand and other substances drawn up, when the process of boring is resumed. And this has been going on till the depth of 160 yards have been bored, without for once public attention being drawn to the subject. It is stated that less than £4 per yard would cover the cost of this immense undertaking and it is understood that the depth of 300 yards is intended to be reached. With the present depth (160 yards) the water in the well has risen to within fourteen yards of the surface, and it is expected that by the time they reach 300 yards it will rise to the top. This experiment will cost something over £1,200, and if it be correct that the main or artesian well-spring lies about 400 or 450 yards below the surface, if £5 per yard were allowed for greater depth than 300, the cost would not exceed £2,000 for the whole depth of 450 yards - Guardian.' Α]

1857 Sale notice: Alfred Leigh instructed by the assignees of Thomas Bury, to sell by auction, the whole of the machinery, utensils, &c. for Silk. Cotton, and Worsted Dyeing, &c., on the premises known asthe Adelphi Silk Dyeworks. Β]

1858 Sale notice: 'Preliminary Notice. — Highly Important to Silk, Cotton, and Worsted Dyers, &c. ALFRED LEIGH begs to intimate that he will SELL BY AUCTION, about the middle of the ensuing month of January, 1858, the premises known as Adelphi Silk Dyeworks, situate in Adelphi-street, Salford, by order of the assignees of Mr. Thomas Bury, and without reserve, the Valuable MACHINERY, &c., comprising six hydro-extractors, with baskets, 2ft. 6in., 3ft. 4in., and 3ft. 6in. diameter, Seyrig's patent hydraulic press, with 8in. ram, pair of double pumps, and two cast-iron carriages, lined with copper, on cast-iron railway very powerful stretching machine, with four arms and gearing complete five large-sized copper pans, with grate bars and fixings several large-sized cast-iron cisterns round and square cast and wrought iron pans lead pan, 4ft. 4 Zoll by 2ft. lOin. 4ft. deep, copper bottom block-tin pan, 3ft. by 2ft. by 2ft. 8in deep, with copper bottom ten capital stone cisterns, &c. —Further particulars, with date of sale, will be given in future advertisements and meanwhile, for further information, application may be made to Francis Hernaman, Esq., official assignee, 69, Princess-street Messrs Chew and Son, solicitors, Swan-street or to the Auctioneer, at his offices, 47, Princess-street, Manchester. Γ]


16th - 19th century

In 1788, the manors of Lilley, Putteridge and Horwellbury were sold to John Sowerby Esquire a wealthy merchant of Hatton Garden. The silver lion from his crest can still be seen on many Lilley cottages.

In 1808 a serious fire destroyed the entire mansion and most of the furnishings, but in 1812 the mansion of Putteridge was rebuilt, in Regency style, half a mile north of Thomas Docwra’s old manor house (on present site).

The clock Tower made in 1841 by Gatwards of Hitchin, stands on the old stables and indicates that the previous house was built further south than the present house. The Sowerbys were renowned naturalists and horticulturalists and it was early that century that the grounds were laid out in their present form.

In 1868 the estates passed to George Sowerby. He is pictured above with his wife Emily.

A tragic event happened in 1888 when he was killed by an Egyptian stag in Putteridge Park (a copy of the report of the inquest in the Luton Times and Bedfordshire Advertiser, 10 August 1888 – can be seen at Putteridge Bury).


“We Will Bury You”

About the capitalist states, it doesn't depend on you whether or not we exist. If you don't like us, don't accept our invitations, and don't invite us to come to see you. Whether you like it or not, history is on our side. We will bury you!

As a consequence of his speech, the representatives of twelve NATO nations and Israel walked out of the room.

At the time, many Americans saw the statement as a nuclear threat, but it&rsquos unlikely that this was the intent. In 1963 in Yugoslavia, Mister Khrushchev referred to his 1956 statement, saying,

I once said, &ldquoWe will bury you,&rdquo and I got into a lot of trouble with it. Of course we will not bury you with a shovel. Your own working class will bury you.

How&rsquos that workin&rsquo for ya?

It&rsquos a truism that governments tend to be both arrogant and presumptuous. They come up with changes that will benefit them, then concoct flimsy excuses as to why the changes are good for all concerned. The public swallow the pill, so the government assumes that the public believed the flimsy excuse. Over time, the government becomes convinced that their powers of persuasion are greater than they are, since they continue to get away with changes that do not benefit all.

Eventually, though, the public are stripped of their freedoms to such a degree that they lose patience with the flimsy excuses. It turns out that a significant percentage of them never fully believed them, but swallowed each pill in order to get along. In addition, the public&rsquos standard of living and quality of life are eventually also stripped away to a great enough degree that they lose patience.

Each of these is an important factor in an underlying disaffection that grows until it becomes a major force that may well be unstoppable if it blows. Amongst the people, it tends to be felt rather than seen and, of course, is felt less by those who created it, due to their ever-increasing arrogance and presumptuousness.

This is the stuff that makes revolutions. Whether they be armed conflicts or simply a refusal to vote for the status quo, as has been observed recently in the UK (Brexit), the US (the presidential election), and Italy (the referendum), governments tend to scratch their heads in disbelief when an outcome that they thought was assured proves incorrect.

Historically, when this happens, most leaders fail to see the warning signs for what they are. They instead double down their efforts to push through their programme of freedom and wealth removal, under the assumption that the warning signs were an anomaly&mdasha one-off glitch that won&rsquot be repeated.

Recommended Links

&ldquoAmerica is Ground Zero&rdquo&hellip (During Trump&rsquos first term?)
A multimillionaire and legendary investor&rsquos urgent broadcast is now live… It reveals why a financial shock far greater than 2008 could strike America during Trump's first term. And how it could either wipe out a big part of your savings… or be the fortune-building opportunity of a lifetime. This special presentation won't be online for long. Click here to watch it now.

When the wheels start to come off

This is the point at which divergence between a government and its people becomes manifest. In the early stages, the symptoms that the public demonstrate are not dramatic. Although there may be violent outbursts by small groups (either spontaneous or organized), the real danger is demonstrated less obviously. The average person&mdashthe housewife, the gas station attendant, the hairstylist&mdashbegins to perform small acts of civil disobedience. Whilst they may continue to pay lip service to &ldquoGod and country&rdquo and &ldquothe powers that be,&rdquo they increasingly disobey laws in small ways, which increases a contempt for the government that may eventually turn to hatred.

We&rsquore witnessing this development in its formative stages in both the EU and the US. Each government is charging ahead at full steam with its manipulative programmes, even as the people themselves have begun to dig in their heels and are voting for a reversal of events. Typically, in such instances, governments regard their people as gnats to be swatted&mdashagain going under the assumption that they are merely observing an anomaly. The people then dig in harder. In the next stage, the government redoubles its controls over those who protest, and the divide increases.

The question then becomes dependent upon whether major events occur. If the government backs off a bit, the majority of people tend to do the same, but if there are major events in play, such as warfare, economic instability, food shortages, etc., they may well be the spark point that sets off the already warm powder.

Today we can observe the EU and US governments trying to force situations regarding loss of freedoms, diminished income, unwanted immigration, and warfare upon peoples whose objections have been growing louder. It would be at this point that Mister Khrushchev&rsquos prediction that &ldquoYour own working class will bury you&rdquo may begin to come to pass. If so, we can anticipate that, once the EU and US have provided the shovel, Russia and China will assist in the burial.

Most of us have not personally lived through a revolution (violent or otherwise). We tend to imagine revolution as an entire nation of people leaving their homes and workplaces and taking up arms against their government. We understandably say to ourselves, &ldquoThat couldn&rsquot possibly happen here,&rdquo and we are correct. However, historically, that&rsquos not the way revolutions manifest themselves. In actual fact, those who are active in any revolution tend to be small in number, often less than 5% of the population. Predictably, they tend to be young, with little to lose.

So, how has revolution been successful in so many cases where the government was better armed, better organized, and had control of the supply chain?

The key lies, again, in Mister Khrushchev&rsquos statement.

In 1917, the Russians that joined the riots in Petrograd were only a tiny minority of the Russian population. Their success would not have been possible had they not had the advantage of public support, including many in the military. The average Russian believed that the rioters were right and quietly provided assistance as needed.

In 1958, a ragtag group of Cuban guerillas marched from the Sierra Maestra to Havana. On their way, they met government resistance, but, due to the support they received from the average Cuban (and some in the military), they overcame any opposition as they proceeded to the capital. By the time they reached Santa Clara, President Batista realized that the jig was up and hightailed it out of Cuba. The small group of rebels came into Havana unopposed, to the cheers of the populace.

&rsquoTwas ever thus

Of course, other revolutions took far longer to resolve, such as the American Revolution. But again, in each case, the success of the revolution would have been highly unlikely were it not for the quiet support from the average person whose only motivation was being fed up with the repeated removals of freedom and wealth. (In other words, the minuteman could achieve little on his own, but he gained power through the backup support provided by his neighbours.)

We cannot say what the fate will be for the EU and US&mdashwhether their respective governments will find the means to ride out the building storm of disaffection by their peoples, or whether they will ultimately crumble. But, if it&rsquos the latter, it is likely that they will do so as a result of disaffection from within, rather than attack from without.

Editor&rsquos Note: New York Times best-selling author Doug Casey thinks a financial shock far greater than 2008 could strike America during Trump's first 100 days in office.

It could either wipe out a big part of your savings… or be the fortune-building opportunity of a lifetime.

This is exactly why Doug and his team put together a time-sensitive video explaining how it could all go down. Click here to watch it now.


Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900/Bury, Thomas Talbot

BURY, THOMAS TALBOT (1811–1877), architect, was descended from a Worcestershire family, afterwards settled in the city of London. He was born on 26 Sept. 1811, and was articled in 1824 to Augustus Pugin. Among his fellow-pupils were Messrs. Ferrey, Dollman, Shaw, Lake Price, Nash, Walker, and Charles Mathews the actor. He commenced practice in Gerrard Street, Soho, in 1830 and, in addition to his architectural practice, was often engaged in engraving and lithographing his own and other architects' drawings, notably those of Pugin and Owen Jones. He was particularly skilful in colouring architectural studies, and his aid in this respect was often sought by the most eminent architects of the day when they were engaged in preparing designs for competition. In 1847 he published his 'Remains of Ecclesiastical Woodwork,' illustrated by himself and in 1849, his 'History and Description of the Styles of Architecture of various Countries, from the Earliest to the Present Period.' He was engaged with Pugin in designing the details of the houses of parliament under Sir Charles Barry. He frequently exhibited his works at the Royal Academy between 1846 and 1872 and sent to the International Exhibition of 1862 a large picture representing, at one view, all the churches, schools, public and other buildings erected by him. This fine drawing is now preserved as a record at the Institute of British Architects. Among his principal works were 35 churches and chapels, 15 parsonages, 12 schools, and 20 other large public buildings and private residences in various parts of England and Wales. He was elected an associate of the Institute of British Architects in 1839, and a fellow in 1843. In 1876 he was elected a vice-president. He was in 1863 made a fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, and was also a member of the council of the Royal Archæological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland, a member of the Cambrian Archæological Association, and an associate of the Society of Civil Engineers. His collections of architectural and antiquarian books, his pictures, drawings, cabinets, and armour, were sold at Christie's in the autumn of 1877. On 23 Feb. 1877 he died, a widower and childless, and was buried at Norwood Cemetery.

[Redgrave's Dictionary of Artists of the English School Journal of the Archæological Institute Archæologia Cambrensis Transactions of the Institute of British Architects Builder, 1877.]


Bond, Thomas (1) 1597-1659***

J amestown was founded by Captain John Smith and a small group of English colonists. It might be well to note that the first Negroes were brought to Jamestown and the new America in 1619.


T
homas Bond lived at Bury St. Edmunds. He had a will that was dated November 8, 1658 and was proved the 10 th of March, 1659 at the Prerogative Court of Canterbury in London. Thomas Bond was to marry Elizabeth Woods in England in about 1620 as the first Pilgrims were to arrive in America.


T
he children of Thomas and Elizabeth Woods Bond were: Thomas (baptized September 22, 1622), John (baptized February 5, 1624), William (baptized September 3, 1625), Henry (baptized April 5, 1628), Elizabeth (baptized March 12, 1630), Francis (baptized May 31, 1632), May (baptized January 31, 1636), and Jonas (baptized August 5, 1638).

It is important to include other events of this time which led to a new home for this line of the Bond family.

The Spaniards had arrived in America and reports of their finding riches, including gold and silver, had spread across the seas to the whole world. The Pilgrims were to leave Southampton, England in 1620 by way of Plymouth, England to arrive in the New World late December of this same year. This was the beginning of “New England”.

Without going into all of the details already covered in history books, religious beliefs were reasons for the “Puritans”, Protestants who wanted to worship in their belief rather than that of the Catholic Church, to “escape” their homeland in search of a new land in which to worship as they preferred.

Two groups of English people were the first to establish “New England”. The “Cavaliers” were to land and make their home in Virginia. The “Puritans”, our ancestors, were to arrive in the Massachusetts area.


T
hree children of Thomas and Elizabeth Woods Bond were to arrive in America with Winthrop’s Fleet in 1629 or 1630. A son Thomas would have been about seven years old, a son John was five, and William may have been about four years old. All three children were baptized in St. James Church in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk County, England.

One writing tells us that William, and perhaps the other two children, was brought to America by his aunt Eliza, wife of Ephraim Child.


W e know that Thomas and Elizabeth were to have five more children, after John, Thomas, and William, all born in America.

Because of conditions in England at this time, it is believed that Thomas and Elizabeth may have arrived in New England before the arrival of their three children who were left in the charge of their aunt until the appropriate time for them to join their parents in America. This information is sure to be found after a search into Winthrop’s Fleet passenger lists.


Schau das Video: Chaoseum - Smile Again Official Music Video (Dezember 2021).