Geschichte Podcasts

Geschichte von Omaha, Nebraska

Geschichte von Omaha, Nebraska

Omaha, der Sitz des Douglas County, liegt am Westufer des Missouri River, 24 km von seinem Zusammenfluss mit der Platte und 425 Meilen westlich von Chicago entfernt. Sie ist die größte Stadt in Nebraska und wird manchmal als "Kreuzung der Nation" bezeichnet. Das Plateau, auf dem Omaha liegt, das sich entlang des Westufers des Missouri erstreckt, war lange vor der Ankunft der Weißen ein Treffpunkt. Im Jahr 1804 trafen Merriwether Lewis und William Clark auf ihrer Reise nach Westen in den Pazifik mit Indianern zusammen. JeanPierre Cabane gründete 1825 einen Handelsposten für die American Fur Company. Der Standort des Postens befindet sich heute im Hummel Park von Omaha. Die ersten Siedler in der Gegend waren Mormonen auf ihrem Weg nach Westen nach Utah im Jahr 1846 der Ort ihrer Winterquartiere als Tribut an ihr Leiden. In den frühen 1850er Jahren begannen die Menschen, sich auf der Ostseite des Missouri zu versammeln, in Erwartung eines endgültigen Vertrags mit den Omaha-Indianern, der Nebraska für die Besiedlung öffnen würde. Die von Omaha umgebene Gemeinde ist als Carter Lake bekannt. Die Union Pacific Railroad errichtete ihren östlichen Endpunkt in Omaha. Der Hauptsitz von Union Pacific befindet sich immer noch in Omaha, aber das Union Pacific Railroad Museum wurde über den Fluss nach Council Bluffs verlegt. Omaha wuchs in den 1870er Jahren schnell, mit der Gründung der Union Pacific-Geschäfte und der Gründung der Creighton University im Jahr 1878. NS. Joseph's Hospital nahm 1870 die ersten Patienten auf. Riverview Park wurde 1894 von der Stadt gegründet und 1898 hatte William Cody eine Reihe von Tieren gespendet. Die Sammlung hat sich zum Henry Doorly Zoo entwickelt. Das Douglas County Courthouse wurde 1912 aus Indiana-Kalkstein errichtet. Das College of St. Mary wurde 1923 eröffnet und ist heute Nebraskas einziges ausschließlich aus Frauen bestehendes katholisches College. Fort Crook wurde 1888 südlich von Omaha gegründet. Während des Zweiten Weltkriegs produzierte die Martin Aircraft Corporation dort B-26- und B-29-Bomber. einschließlich der Enola Gay, der B-29, die am 6. August 1945 die erste Atombombe auf Hiroshima abwarf. Das Fort wurde in die Offutt Air Force Base integriert, die Heimat des Strategic Air Command der Air Force. Das Nebraska Methodist College ist dem Methodist Health Systems angeschlossen und bietet Ausbildung für Gesundheitsberufe. Das Nebraska Methodist Hospital ist Nebraskas erstes Magnet Hospital. Das Joslyn Art Museum verfügt über eine vielseitige Sammlung, die von griechischer Keramik bis ins 20. Jahrhundert reicht. Die lokale Geschichte von Omaha ist im Durham Western Heritage Museum zu sehen. Das Omaha Children's Museum nahm seinen Betrieb 1976 aus dem Heck eines Kombis auf.


Geschichte von Omaha, Nebraska - Geschichte

Eine kurze Geschichte der frühen Entwicklung von Omaha, Nebraska

Das Territorium, das schließlich die Stadt Omaha, Nebraska, werden sollte, wurde als Teil des Louisiana Purchase erworben, der 1803 von Thomas Jefferson abgeschlossen wurde. Die offenen Ebenen der zentralen Vereinigten Staaten waren zu dieser Zeit unbekanntes Land, das ungewisses Potenzial für das Entwicklungsland.

Ureinwohnergruppen waren die ersten Bewohner der Region. Zu diesen Gruppen gehörten die Pawnee, Otoe und Sioux. Zu Beginn des 18. Jahrhunderts waren die Omaha-Indianer, eine Gruppe von Indianern, die kulturelle Traditionen mit den Pawnee teilten, in die Nähe des heutigen Omaha gezogen. Das Wort „Omaha“ bedeutet „gegen den Strom“. Es wird spekuliert, dass die Omaha-Indianer aufgrund ihrer früheren Bewegungen nach Norden gegen die Strömung des Mississippi als solche bezeichnet wurden.

Am 21. Juli 1804 durchquerten William Clark und Meriwether Lewis das Gebiet und stellten fest, dass das Gebiet ein gutes Gebiet für die Errichtung eines Handels- und Festungsaußenpostens sein würde. Der Pelzhandel spielte eine bedeutende Rolle in der frühen Entwicklung der Region.

Während ihrer Wanderung nach Westen gründeten die Mormonen die ersten nicht-indianischen Siedlungen in der Region im sogenannten Cutler's Park. Dieses Gebiet diente als vorübergehende Unterkunft für Einzelpersonen, die vom Juni 1846 bis zum Frühjahr 1848 nach Westen zogen. Reisende starben während ihres Aufenthalts in der Gegend aufgrund des schwierigen Klimas, der schlechten Lebensbedingungen, des Mangels an ausreichender Nahrung und der daraus resultierenden Krankheiten .

Nach der Verabschiedung des Kansas-Nebraska-Gesetzes am 30. Mai 1854 wurde das Land am Westufer des Missouri River gegenüber von Council Bluffs, Iowa, für die Besiedlung freigegeben und erregte schnell die Aufmerksamkeit der Entwickler. Obwohl das Land erst 1857 legal vermessen wurde, vermaß Alfred D. Jones das Land für die Council Bluffs und die Nebraska Ferry Company und plante das Land um die heutige Capitol Avenue. Der Geschäftsmann Jesse Lowe wählte den Namen der Stadt als "Omaha City". Am 4. Juli 1854 wurde auf dem Capitol Hill (dem heutigen Standort der Central High School) ein Picknick abgehalten, um die Eröffnung des neuen Territoriums zu feiern. Bis zum 11. Juli hatte der erste Einwohner von Omaha City, William P. Snowden, in der Twelfth Street und der Jackson Street ein grobes Blockhaus gebaut. Das Gebäude wurde schließlich als St. Nicholas Hotel bekannt und diente den Siedlern als früheres Claim-Haus. Omaha wurde am 2. Februar 1857 offiziell vom Gesetzgeber des Staates gegründet.

Umstritten war die Lage der territorialen Hauptstadt, die bis zur ersten Sitzung der Legislative des Staates Nebraska im Jahr 1867 in Omaha bleiben sollte. Die Bürger von Bellevue, Florenz und Omaha erkannten alle das Potenzial für wirtschaftlichen Gewinn, das sich aus dem Regierungssitz ergeben würde. Es wurde auch spekuliert, dass ein solches Gebiet ein Hauptkandidat für die Durchfahrt der transkontinentalen Eisenbahn wäre.

Landspekulation war in den frühen Tagen von Omaha der bedeutendste Wirtschaftszweig. Die Wirtschaftspanik von 1857 führte zum Zusammenbruch aller Banken bis auf eine und zu erheblichen Verlusten für Landspekulanten. Der Güterverkehr entwickelte sich im Großraum Omaha langsam. Die Frachtindustrie wurde durch den Bau von Telegrafenlinien durch das Gebiet von Omaha unterstützt. Edward Creighton, ein Frachter aus Omaha, diente als Auftragnehmer für Telegrafenleitungen durch das Gebiet von Omaha und schließlich bis nach Salt Lake City.

Das wohl bedeutendste Ereignis in der frühen Entwicklung von Omaha war die Verabschiedung des Pacific Railroad Act am 24. Juni 1862. Dieses Gesetz sah den Bau einer transkontinentalen Eisenbahn von einem nicht näher bezeichneten Punkt am Missouri River zu einem westlichen Endpunkt in Sacramento or . vor San Francisco, Kalifornien. Während seiner Kampagne für die Präsidentschaft besuchte Abraham Lincoln Council Bluffs. Er kaufte als Investition ein kleines Grundstück, auf dem vorgeschlagen wurde, dass die Bahnlinie möglicherweise den Missouri River überqueren könnte. Am 17. November 1863 erklärte Lincoln, dass Omaha die östliche Endstation der neuen transkontinentalen Eisenbahn sein würde. Am 2. Dezember 1863 fand in Omaha ein Spatenstich für die Eisenbahn statt, und im Herndon House in der Neunten und Farnam Street fand eine Feier statt.

Politische und finanzielle Kontroversen umgaben den anfänglichen Bau der Bahnstrecken. Am 8. Juli 1865 traf die erste Lokomotive, die "General Sherman", in Omaha ein. Am 10. Juli 1865 wurden die ersten Schienen an der Seventh Street und der Chicago Street verlegt. Der Gleisbau schritt anfangs mit einer Geschwindigkeit von einer Viertelmeile pro Tag voran. Das Ende des Bürgerkriegs führte jedoch zu erheblichen Arbeitskräften für das Projekt. Die transkontinentale Eisenbahn wurde am 10. Mai 1869 mit der "Wedding of the Rails" in Promontory Point, Utah, offiziell fertiggestellt.

Omaha erlebte einen Eisenbahnboom und eine frühe Kultur, die von einer mehrheitlich männlichen Bevölkerung getragen wurde, die die Entwicklung von Bars, Spielhäusern und Bordellen nährte. Die frühe Industrie in Omaha umfasste auch die Ziegelherstellung, Brauereien und das Schmelzen.

In der Stadt entwickelte sich bald der Bedarf an Infrastruktur, da es neben dem schlechten Bau vieler Häuser an Abwasser, Müllabfuhr, Brandschutz und Wasserversorgung mangelte. Viele der ursprünglichen Straßen von Omaha wurden einer erheblichen Einstufung unterzogen, um den Bedürfnissen von Geschäfts- und Transportdiensten besser gerecht zu werden. Das Aufkommen des Omaha Horse Street Railway Systems im Jahr 1867 war das erste Zeichen für Omahas Expansion nach Westen. Die Linie verlief von der Ninth Street und der Farnam Street bis zur Eighteenth Street und Cass Street. Ein Seilbahnsystem wurde 1884 hinzugefügt, wobei sich das Kraftwerk in der Twentieth Street und der Harney Street befindet. 1889 verband die Seilbahn den Betrieb mit der Pferdestraßenbahn. Omahas erster echter Vorort, Dundee, wurde 1891 an die Linie angebaut. Diese Ankunft des Transports nach Dundee erhöhte die Nachfrage nach Grundstücken in der Gegend.

Großhandelsindustrien wie John Deere und der Lebensmittelzulieferer Lacey und McCormick erlebten Ende des 19. Bis 1900 wurden Waren im Wert von über 62,5 Millionen US-Dollar von den Omaha-Großhändlern verkauft, die im Bezirk "Jobber's Canyon" tätig waren.

Omahas erstes öffentliches Schulgebäude wurde im September 1863 gebaut. Als Nebraska 1867 den Status einer Eigenstaatlichkeit erlangte, wurde das Land des ehemaligen Kapitols den Schulen überlassen. 1891 gab es 61 Schulen mit 500 Lehrern.

Die Entwicklung der Viehhöfe beflügelte das Wachstum von South Omaha. Während die Viehhöfe in South Omaha ursprünglich als Rastplatz für Rinder auf dem Weg zu größeren Märkten wie Chicago galten, expandierte die Branche in Verpackungsbetriebe und war 1893 die drittgrößten Viehhöfe des Landes.

Im Jahr 1892 stand Omaha im Zentrum der populistischen politischen Bewegung des Landes, als die Volkspartei hier ihren nationalen Kongress abhielt. Die Partei, obwohl kurzlebig, erhielt 1892 landesweit 8,5% der Stimmen. Unterstützer der Kandidaten der Partei waren Bauern und viele städtische Arbeiter im Osten. Das populistische Denken gewann in dieser Zeit mit Werken wie L. Frank Baums Der Zauberer von Oz literarische Bedeutung. Haben Sie sich jemals gefragt, warum "Omaha" auf dem Ballon geschrieben wurde, in den der Zauberer am Ende von The Wizard of Oz entkommt? Das Buch ist nicht nur ein zeitloses Werk der Kinderliteratur, sondern auch eine dünn verhüllte Allegorie des populistischen Denkens.

Die Trans-Mississippi-Ausstellung fand 1898 in Omaha statt. Die Ausstellung wurde teilweise als Reaktion auf die Chicago Columbian Exposition von 1893 abgehalten, die die Fortschritte hauptsächlich östlicher Unternehmen präsentierte. Die Trans-Mississippi-Ausstellung, die am 1. Juni 1898 eröffnet wurde, machte die wirtschaftlichen, industriellen und kulturellen Errungenschaften von 28 der damals 45 existierenden Staaten bekannt. Die vertretenen Staaten waren hauptsächlich die westlich des Mississippi. Die Strukturen der Ausstellung waren temporär. Der erste Lauf der Ausstellung dauerte sechs Monate und zog 2,6 Millionen Besucher an. Präsident McKinley sprach bei der Ausstellung am 12. Oktober 1898 vor fast 99.000 Zuhörern. Die Ausstellung wurde am 31. Oktober 1898 mit 61.000 Besuchern geschlossen.

Politische Skandale grassierten zu dieser Zeit und während der Weltwirtschaftskrise in der wachsenden Stadt. Omahas Grenztradition des Glücksspiels und der Prostitution in Kombination mit der aus der Prohibition entstandenen Schattenwirtschaft führte zu einer volatilen Mischung aus Unternehmertum und Gier.

Fast eine halbe Million Menschen leben derzeit in der Gegend von Omaha. Omaha genießt weiterhin sein reiches Grenzerbe und erlebt gleichzeitig kontinuierliche wirtschaftliche und kulturelle Fortschritte.

Für eine deutlich detailliertere Auseinandersetzung mit Omahas Geschichte empfehle ich folgende Bücher:

The Gate City: Eine Geschichte von Omaha, Lawrence H. Larsen und Barbara J. Cottrell. Boulder, Colorado: Pruett Publishing Co., 1982, University of Nebraska Press, 1997.

Geschichte von Omaha: Von den Pioniertagen bis zur Gegenwart , Alfred Sorenson. Omaha: Gibson, Miller & Richardson, 1889.

Union Pacific Country, Robert G. Atearn. Chicago: Rand McNally & Co., 1971.

Omaha & Douglas County: Eine panoramische Geschichte, Dorothy Devereux Dustin. Woodland Hills, CA: Windsor Publications, 1980.

Artikel, die in der offiziellen Veröffentlichung der Nebraska State Historical Society, Nebraska History, enthalten sind, sind ebenfalls eine unschätzbare Quelle.


Wichtige Zahlen

Omaha war die Heimat Hunderttausender unglaublicher Menschen, die die Geschichte Amerikas geprägt haben. Leider konnten wir nicht alle in diese Liste aufnehmen, aber wir haben einige von Omahas berühmten historischen Persönlichkeiten zusammengetragen, die dazu beigetragen haben, die Gegend in die erstaunliche Stadt zu verwandeln, die wir heute kennen.

Malcolm X

Malcolm X wurde 1925 in Omaha als Malcolm Little geboren. Er war ein amerikanischer muslimischer Minister und ein Menschenrechtsaktivist, der während der Bürgerrechtsbewegung eine beliebte Persönlichkeit war. Obwohl er nicht viel Zeit seines Lebens in Omaha verbrachte, kam er 1964 zurück, um im Elks Club in der Lake Street und im Hörsaal des inzwischen abgerissenen Civic Auditorium zu sprechen, wo er eine fesselnde Rede über Rassismus und Schwarz hielt Rechte. Malcolm X wurde am 21. Februar 1965 in New York City ermordet. Sie können mehrere seiner Gedenkstätten hier in Omaha besuchen, darunter seinen Geburtsort und das jährliche Malcolm X Festival an der University of Nebraska in Omaha.

Sarah und George Joslyn

George und Sarah Joslyn gehörten zu der Unternehmerwelle, die nach der Fertigstellung der transkontinentalen Eisenbahn in den Westen zog. 1880 eröffnete George eine Filiale einer Druckerei in Omaha, die ihm 1896 gehörte. Er benannte sie in Western Newspaper Union um, die einst der größte Anbieter von „Ready Print“-Zeitungen des Landes war. Sarah und mehrere andere Frauen bildeten den Vorstand der Wohltätigkeitsorganisationen der Stadt Omaha. Sie war auch im Vorstand des Child Saving Institute und der Humane Society und war eine prominente Spenderin für mehrere Omaha-Organisationen. Sie schuf auch das Joslyn Art Museum als Denkmal für ihren Ehemann nach seinem Tod.

Grenville Dodge

General, Politiker und Bahnpionier

Grenville Mellen Dodge war ein Offizier der Unionsarmee an der Grenze und eine Pionierfigur des militärischen Geheimdienstes während des Bürgerkriegs. Im Jahr 1853 wurde er von Präsident Abraham Lincoln, der sich für Dodges Eisenbahn-Know-how interessierte, nach Washington, D.C., berufen. Er bat ihn, einen Ort entlang des Missouri River zu erraten, wo die transkontinentale Eisenbahn ihren Ausgangspunkt haben sollte. Dodge leitete den Bau der transkontinentalen Eisenbahn und wurde Mitglied des US-Repräsentantenhauses. Unsere eigenen Sandy und Nate Dodge reisten nach Golden Spike, Utah, um den 150. Jahrestag der Transcontinental Railroad zu feiern. Hier erfahren Sie alles über die festliche Feier!

Mildrotes Braun

Mildred Brown war Journalistin, Zeitungsherausgeberin und eine führende Persönlichkeit der Bürgerrechtsbewegung von Omaha. Sie und ihr Mann zogen viel umher, von Alabama über Chicago nach Des Moines, bevor sie sich schließlich in Omaha niederließen. Sie gründeten und leiteten die Omaha Star, eine Zeitung, die für die afroamerikanische Gemeinschaft in der Region erstellt wurde. Nach 1945 leitete sie die Omaha Star allein und 1960 ernannte Präsident Lyndon B. Johnson sie zur Botschafterin des guten Willens in der DDR. Heute können Sie sie in der Omaha Business Hall of Fame und der Nebraska Journalism Hall of Fame kennenlernen.


Erfahren Sie mehr über die Geschichte von Omaha NE

Omaha, die größte Stadt Nebraskas, ist ein beliebter Touristenmagnet. Im Jahr 2016 kamen mehr als 20 Millionen Besucher in die Stadt wegen ihrer kulturellen Vielfalt und charmanten Atmosphäre. Omaha City wurde 1854 gegründet, aber auch frühe Indianerstämme lebten hier.

Ein Vertrag mit dem Omaha-Stamm öffnete das Gebiet im selben Jahr für die Besiedlung. Die Stadt wurde entlang des schönen Missouri River entwickelt und ist nur 425 Meilen von Chicago entfernt. Interessanterweise bedeutet der Name Omaha in den indianischen Ureinwohnern diejenigen, die gegen die Strömung oder den Wind treten.

Viele Menschen, Arbeiter und Einwohner haben die Kultur und Geschichte der Stadt geprägt und sie zu einem lebendigen Ort gemacht.

Frühe Entwicklung von Omaha

In den 1860er und 1870er Jahren entwickelte sich Omaha zu einem wichtigen Industrie- und Verkehrsknotenpunkt. Bald darauf wurde die Union Pacific Rail Road ausgebaut und die östliche Endstation in Omaha eingerichtet. Sie können immer noch das Union Pacific Railroad Museum auf der anderen Seite des Flusses finden, das Erinnerungen an vergangene Tage enthält.

Der Henry Doorly Zoo, die wichtigste Touristenattraktion der Stadt, öffnete 1898 seine Pforten, nachdem viele Tiere von William Cody gespendet wurden. Heute verzeichnet er jedes Jahr mehr als 1,1 Millionen Besucher und wurde von Trip Advisor als der beste Zoo der Welt ausgezeichnet.

Die Omaha University wurde 1908 erbaut, aber es war die Gründung des Rosenblatt-Stadions, die die Stadt 1950 ins Rampenlicht brachte.

Die Bürgerrechtsfrage wurde nach dem Zweiten Weltkrieg immer wichtiger, da Kriegsveteranen glaubten, dass sie die gleichen Rechte haben wie alle anderen – insbesondere nachdem sie ihr Leben dafür gewidmet haben. Es bildeten sich mehr Organisationen und der Fokus lag heute stärker auf der Entwicklung. Der neuere Wohnungsbau und die Entwicklung hielten jedoch nicht lange an, da die industrielle Umstrukturierung in den 1960er Jahren zu mehr Armut führte.

Die Dinge haben sich seit den 1990er Jahren verbessert, aber schon damals wurde das berühmte Indian Hills Theatre 2001 geschlossen - sein Standort dient heute als Parkplatz

Omaha war die Heimat zahlreicher Migranten und Einwanderer, die hierher kamen, um ihren Lebensunterhalt zu verdienen. Amerikanische Ureinwohner, europäische Amerikaner, Deutsche, Skandinavier, Mexikaner und eine Vielzahl von ethnischen Gruppen und Bevölkerungen machten Omaha im Laufe der Jahre zu ihrer Heimat.

Wahrlich, die Stadt präsentiert eine einzigartige Mischung aus Kultur, die reich und vielfältig ist.

Omaha ist nach wie vor ein Dreh- und Angelpunkt für Geschäfte und Aktivitäten. Es beherbergt heute viele Fortune-500-Unternehmen sowie modernes Bauen und Urbanisierung. Es beherbergt die jährliche College World Series und Triple Crown SlumpBuste, die zu den Wirtschafts- und Tourismusmöglichkeiten beitragen.

Die Innenstadt und das Flussufer haben in den letzten Jahren eine bedeutende Entwicklung erlebt. Die 3.000 Fuß lange Bob Kerrey Fußgängerbrücke über den Missouri River bietet einen spektakulären Blick auf die Skyline und die Stadt. Das 22-Millionen-Dollar-Projekt ist auch eine weitere Top-Touristenattraktion.

Das große und geräumige Kongresszentrum der Stadt, CenturyLink Center Omaha, beherbergt auch ein großartiges Kunstprojekt namens "Illumina". Sie können über 40 erstaunliche Skulpturen finden, die vom Karneval von Venedig aus dem 13. Jahrhundert inspiriert wurden. Die Stadt hat auch andere Ausstellungen kreativer öffentlicher Kunst, die über ihre Grenzen verteilt sind.

Die Stadt Omaha ist wirklich einladend und bietet Ihnen die Möglichkeit, die authentische Gastfreundschaft des Mittleren Westens voller Wärme und Fürsorge zu erleben.


Geschichte von Omaha, Nebraska - Geschichte

Menschen haben das Land Nebraska seit Tausenden von Jahren bewohnt. Als die Europäer zum ersten Mal ankamen, gab es mehrere Stämme der amerikanischen Ureinwohner, die im ganzen Staat lebten. Im Westen befanden sich die Nomadenstämme der Cheyenne und der Lakota Sioux. Sie lebten in Tipis und zogen ständig umher, um den Bisonherden zu folgen, die ihre Nahrung, Kleidung und Unterkunft lieferten. Im Osten lebten die Stämme der Omaha, Pawnee und der Otoe. Sie lebten in dauerhafteren Hütten aus Erde und Gras. Sie jagten Büffel, bewirtschafteten aber einen Großteil ihrer Nahrung mit dem Anbau von Mais, Bohnen und Kürbis.


Pioniere durchqueren die Ebenen von Nebraska
von C.C.A. Christensen

Der erste Europäer, der in Nebraska ankam, war wahrscheinlich der spanische Entdecker Francisco de Coronado im Jahr 1541. Er beanspruchte das Land für Spanien. Über 100 Jahre später, im Jahr 1682, beanspruchte ein anderer Entdecker, der Franzose Robert Cavelier, das Land für Frankreich. Im Laufe des nächsten Jahrhunderts wurde das Land von den Franzosen, Spaniern und Briten beansprucht und umkämpft.

Im Jahr 1800 kontrollierte Frankreich ein großes Gebiet westlich des Mississippi. Im Jahr 1803 kauften die Vereinigten Staaten dieses Gebiet, einschließlich Nebraska, im Rahmen des Louisiana-Kaufs von den Franzosen. Die amerikanischen Entdecker Lewis und Clark reisten 1804 durch Nebraska, kartierten ihre Reise und berichteten über die flachen Ebenen und großen Bisonherden, die sie in Nebraska sahen.

Die Vereinigten Staaten errichteten 1819 Fort Atkinson in Nebraska. Es war der erste Armeeposten, der westlich des Mississippi gebaut wurde. 1823 wurde am Missouri River ein kleiner Pelzhandelsposten gebaut. Es wurde Bellevue, die älteste Stadt in Nebraska und die erste dauerhafte Siedlung.

Ab den 1840er Jahren begannen die Menschen, auf ihrem Weg nach Westen auf dem Oregon Trail durch Nebraska zu reisen. Zu dieser Zeit war ein Großteil von Nebraska als Teil des Indianergebiets für die amerikanischen Ureinwohner reserviert. Einige Leute ignorierten jedoch das Gesetz und besiedelten das Land.


Gehöfte von Unbekannt

1854 wurde das Nebraska Territory durch den Kansas-Nebraska Act geschaffen. Die Leute begannen in den 1860er Jahren wirklich nach Nebraska zu ziehen, als die Homestead Acts den Menschen erlaubten, freies Land in der Gegend zu bekommen. Auch neue Eisenbahnen, die das Gebiet durchquerten, machten es den Menschen viel einfacher, dorthin zu reisen. Am 1. März 1867 wurde Nebraska als 37. Bundesstaat in die Union aufgenommen. Die Hauptstadt wurde nach Lancaster verlegt, das zu Ehren von Abraham Lincoln in Lincoln umbenannt wurde.

Als weitere Siedler einzogen, wurden die amerikanischen Ureinwohner vertrieben. Die Konflikte nahmen bis Ende des 19. Jahrhunderts zu, als die meisten Cheyenne und Sioux gezwungen waren, in das Indianergebiet in Oklahoma zu ziehen. Nebraska florierte, als Viehzüchter einzogen und Bauern das Land bewirtschafteten. Allerdings machten Naturkatastrophen wie Dürren, Schneestürme und Heuschreckenschwärme den Siedlern das Leben nicht leicht.


Omaha, Nebraska von Iulus Ascanius


Nebraska

Nebraska, das am 1. März 1867, zwei Jahre nach dem Ende des amerikanischen Bürgerkriegs, als 37. Bundesstaat in die Union aufgenommen wurde, enthält einige der besten Ranch- und Ackerflächen der Nation. Vor seiner Eigenstaatlichkeit war das Nebraska-Territorium spärlich besiedelt, erlebte jedoch ein Wachstum während des kalifornischen Goldrausches im Jahr 1848, mit einer größeren Welle von Siedlern, die in den 1860er Jahren als Homesteaders ankamen. Obwohl die territoriale Hauptstadt von Nebraska Omaha war, wurde der Regierungssitz nach Erreichen der Eigenstaatlichkeit nach Lancaster verlegt, das später nach dem kürzlich ermordeten Präsidenten Abraham Lincoln in Lincoln umbenannt wurde. Nebraska grenzt im Norden an South Dakota, im Süden an Kansas und Colorado, im Westen an Wyoming und im Osten an Iowa und Missouri.

Datum der Staatlichkeit: 1. März 1867

Wusstest du schon? Das beliebte Getränk Kool-Aid wurde 1927 in Hastings, Nebraska, erfunden. Die Idee von Edwin Perkins, Kool-Aid, ist das offizielle Erfrischungsgetränk des Staates.


1800er

4. Juli 1854

Die Stadt Omaha wird informell bei einem Picknick von White Claim-Stakers aus Council Bluffs im Indian Country seit 1700 auf dem Gelände der heutigen Central High School gegründet. Der Omaha-Stamm verkauft den Großteil seines Stammeslandes, vier Millionen Morgen (16.000 km²), für weniger als 22 Cent pro Morgen an die Vereinigten Staaten.

1854

Die Volkszählung listet 13 Afroamerikaner, wahrscheinlich Sklaven, im Nebraska-Territorium auf. Die Gesamtbevölkerung des Territoriums betrug 2.732 und umfasste Gebiete des heutigen Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, North Dakota, Colorado und Montana.

1855

Sally Bayne kam in Omaha an und gilt als die erste freie Afroamerikanerin, die sich im Nebraska-Territorium niederließ.

1860 – 1870

Der methodistische Kreisprediger Moses Shinn beginnt mit dem Verkauf seines Landes, dem heutigen Stadtteil Kelom (Cuming to Hamilton, 27. bis 29. Straße). In den ersten 50 Jahren wird das Viertel hauptsächlich von weißen Einwanderern bevölkert, darunter russische und osteuropäische Juden und skandinavische Familien und weniger schwarze Familien.

1861

Das Nebraska-Territorium verbietet Sklaverei. Es gibt widersprüchliche Berichte darüber, wie viele Afroamerikaner zu dieser Zeit in der Gegend lebten, 25 oder 81.

1863

Die Emanzipationsproklamation beendete die Praxis der Sklaverei in der Union, was technisch auch für die rebellischen Konföderiertenstaaten galt.


Geschichte von Omaha, Nebraska - Geschichte

Geschichte des Bankwesens in Nebraska
Aus: York County, Nebraska und seine Einwohner
T. E. Sedgwick, Leitender Redakteur
Der Verlag von S. J. Clarke
Chicago 1921

BANKEN IN NEBRASKA
TERRITORIAL WILD-CAT BANKING

Die frühe Bankgeschichte der Restauranttage in Nebraska ist stark von beachtlichen "Wildkatzen"-Rekorden überschattet. Eine kurze Vorstellung von den Operationen dieser Wildkatzenbanken kann möglicherweise durch eine kurze Untersuchung gewonnen werden und einige Auszüge aus einem von A. G. Warner für die Nebraska State Historical Society erstellten und in Bd. II (1887) seiner Proceedings and Compilations. Herr Warner definierte den Betrieb von Wildcat-Banking etwa so:

„Gerade zu Beginn des gegenwärtigen Jahrhunderts, im Empire State, dieser kongenialen Heimat aller Formen politischer Schurken, hatte Aaron Burr versucht, eine Bankurkunde durch die New Yorker Legislative zu stehlen, unter dem Deckmantel eines Gesetzes zur Eingliederung.“ Ein Unternehmen, das die Stadt New York mit Wasser versorgt.' Dem Beispiel von Massachusetts und New York folgend, versuchten verschiedene Staaten zunächst spezielle und dann allgemeine Gründungsakte für Banken, die das Recht hatten, Geld auszugeben, aber wie der Reisende, der zwischen zwei Straßen in einem Sumpf von Illinois wählte, waren sie sich sicher, dass sie es tun würden Ich wünschte, sie wären zum anderen gegangen."

Die Erfahrung älterer Staaten bei der Gründung von Banken durch unerlaubte Lobbyarbeit, beim Besuch des Prüfers mit eigens geliehenem Geld, mit dem Vielfachen an wertlosen Banknoten in den Händen einer leichtgläubigen Öffentlichkeit, als diese begann, Vermögenswerte zu besitzen, und manchmal sogar die Die "Ausrottung" einer Bank, die nach einem Ort benannt wurde, der im Staat nie existierte, schien den Neuen nie etwas beizubringen. Es war nur eine andere Form des Geistes, die in den letzten Jahren einen solchen ungezügelten Handel mit Ölaktien, wertlosen Wertpapieren und Aktien von "gut bewässerten" Förderprogrammen ermöglicht hat, obwohl Wertpapiere und Blue-Sky-Gesetze so gut erdacht und juristische Köpfe in der Lage waren, sie herauszufinden . Sogar Nebraska war keine Ausnahme. Ihre erste Gesellschaft, die am 16. März 1855 gegründet wurde, war die "Western Fire and Marine Insurance and Exchange Company", die befugt war, Geld auszugeben und verschiedene Finanzgeschäfte zu tätigen, die die modernen Bankgesetze der am besten regulierten Bank kaum erlauben würden, und so sehr, dass sie heimlich als "Western Exchange Bank of Omaha" ins Leben gerufen wurde. Ihr Kassierer war Levy R. Tuttle, der später unter Lincoln Schatzmeister der Vereinigten Staaten war, und der zahlende Kassierer war AM Wyman, der bei eine nachfolgende Periode hielt die gleiche hohe Ehre. A. D. Jones, ein Vertreter aus Douglas County, behauptete seinerzeit, in der ersten Legislaturperiode konsequent gegen die Menge der Bankwechsel gestimmt zu haben.

Dieser Kampf kam in der zweiten Legislaturperiode auf, und J. Sterling Morton kämpfte gegen die Charta von Banken nach jedem System außer dem des überschüssigen Kapitals. Fünf Banken wurden in dieser Sitzung gechartert: Die Platte Valley Bank (in Nebraska City), die erste dort gegründete Bank Stephen F. Nuckolls war Präsident und Joshua Garside, Kassierer. Sie war eine der sechs Territorialbanken, die die Panik von 1857 überlebten und eine der wenigen, die sich wirklich in lokalem Besitz befand. Die Fontanelle Bank in Florenz, ihre Besitzer sind Greene, Weare & Benton. Sie ging in der Panik von 1857 unter. Die Bank von Florenz, die damals ebenfalls unterging. The Bank of Nebraska, at Omaha, Samuel Moffatt, cashier, the second of the three Douglas County banks to go under in the panic of 1857. The Nemaha Valley Bank at Brownville, The charters had all been drawn in similar form, were "lobbied through" in similar manner, and each company was made up of a few persons. The stock was either $50,000 or $100,000, to be increased at will to $500,000 and divided in shares of $100 each. When $25,000 of this stock had been subscribed the company could go to work.

Mr. Warner summarizes this stock as being "assignable and transferable according to such regulations as the directors might think proper. The bank had the power to issue notes, bills, and other certificates of indebtedness, to deal in exchange and do a general banking business. The stockholders were individually liable for the redemption of the currency issued, but there was no provision for a fixed specie reserve, nor other guard against individual rascality or incompetency."

Anyone desiring to examine the text of these charters may find them in Acts of Second Legislative Session, pp. 224, 230, 177, 202 and 208. No annual report was ever made in accordance with such provision as there was for that safeguard.

After the ruin of 1857 struck Nebraska, a correspondent of the St. Louis Republican thus placed the ownership of the new Territory's first six banks, and two of their predecessors:

Nemaha Valley Bank, Galesburg, Ill.
Platte Valley Bank, Nebraska City, Neb.
Fontanelle Bank of Florence, Elgin, Ill.
Western Fire & Marine Ins. Bank, Galva, Ill.
Bank of Nebraska, at Omaha and Council Bluffs, Ia.
Bank of Florence, Davenport, Ia.
Bank of Desoto, Wisconsin.
Bank of Tekamah, Bloomington and Gossport, Ind.

This list was reprinted in the Brownville Advertiser of July 8, 1858.

The third session was swamped with such bills, but only two banks reached the final goal of incorporation, the bank of Desoto and Bank of Tekamah, mentioned above.

The panic of 1857 practically ended the passage of special acts of incorporation for banks, except there was an attempt to "wire" through the 1858 session a measure to establish a "State Bank of Nebraska" to do business with the state and have branches in other parts of the commonwealth. Even though the measure passed the council, Dr. G. L. Miller stemmed the tide by exposing an attempt to bribe him, by leaving a note on his desk that if he would support the measure he would receive $250 in cash and the privilege of making a loan of $5,000 without interest when the institution should be started.

A great many of the earlier more substantial banks which started as the communities began to build up were private institutions and later became state and national banks. We will only endeavor in the following brief review to list some of the earlier towns and mention the first banks that started in those towns, to give an idea of the evolution of the present Nebraska banking system.

Nebraska City. James Sweet National Bank, established September 19, 1859, as a private bank, by Cheever, Sweet & Co., and assumed the title first given on June 30, 1881, after four or five changes in the membership of the firm. James Sweet was president and head of it.

Otoe County National Bank, chartered May, 1865, Talbot Ashton, president, J. Metcalf, cashier.

Nebraska City National Bank, 1871, O. J. McCann, president, John W. Steinhart, acting cashier.

Omaha. A cursory examination of the banks that came and went during a quarter century, after the panic of 1857, in Omaha, will serve as a good barometer of the progress of the banking business in Nebraska.

Private banks were started during the period from 1857 to 1860 by Samuel E. Rogers, Smith & Parmalee, and Gridley & Co. None of these were longlived, however.

In 1858 William Young Brown started a bank of issue on the corner of Farnam and Eleventh streets, of which J. D. Briggs was cashier. This bank went into liquidation after a year or so, leaving its paper afloat.

J. A. Ware & Co. started a bank at the corner of Thirteenth and Farnam streets in 1865 and continued in business for five or six years. The firm was composed of J. A. Ware, Nebraska City J. W. Angus, Omaha. and P. S. Wilson, Cheyenne. In April, 1868, the "Central National Bank" was organized with John McCormick, president J. E. Boyd, vice president and J. M. Watson, cashier. It was located on the south side of Farnam Street, between Thirteenth and Fourteenth streets. In January, 1871, this bank wound up its affairs and closed its doors. These institutions have been dealt with a little out of chronological order for the reason that they were short lived. To revert back to early days, the first banking house established in Omaha (and the oldest with one exception in the Territory) was that of Barrows, Millard & Co., which started early in 1856. The house was composed of Willard Barrows, J. H. Millard, Ezra Millard and S. S. Caldwell. Business prospered with the firm.

In 1864 the title became Millard, Caldwell & Co., and May 1, 1868, the firm name became Caldwell, Hamilton & Co., C. W. Hamilton at this time purchasing the entire interest of Mr. Millard. In October, 1883, this firm's bank opened up as the United States National Bank.

The house of Kountze Bros. was established in 1857 by Augustus, L. W. and Herman Kountze. A large business was done by this firm down to the year 1865 when it merged into the First National Bank.

The First National Bank was organized August 26, 1863 commenced business April 1, 1864, and was consolidated with the preceding firm July 1, 1865. The first officers were Edward Creighton, president, and Herman Kountze, cashier. The first board of directors were Augustus Kountze, Herman Kountze, Edward Creighton, W. H. S. Hughes and Louis J. Ruth. The capital stock at the organization of the bank was $50,000. This amount has been increased from time to time, as follows: January 19, 1865, to $65,000 October 13, 1865, to $100,000 June 19, 1869, to $200,000. May 6, 1864, Augustus Kountze was elected as vice president of the bank, there having been no such officer elected prior to that time, He remained in this position until February 14, 1865, when Alvin Saunders was elected vice president and Kountze became cashier. January 12, 1869, Herman Kountze was elected vice president, and H. W. Yates, assistant cashier. July 8, 1874, Mr, Yates was elected cashier, and Augustus Kountze, second vice president. Herman Kountze was elected president, January 12, 1875, and Augustus Kountze, vice president, at the same time. F, H. Davis became assistant cashier, January 9, 1877. The present board of directors are Herman Kountze, Augustus Kountze, John A. Creighton, A. J. Poppleton and F. H. Davis. On March 1, 1882, Mr. Yates retired from the bank and F. H. Davis succeeded him as cashier.

For the first twenty days in October, 1866, the average business transactions per day amounted to $14,432.18, including the cash on hand. The average daily transactions for a corresponding period in October, 1881, were $811,108.11, including also the cash on hand, Exclusive of cash on hand, in October, 1866, the average daily transactions were $5,905.76, and in October, 1881, $529,569.20. The first board of directors were Ezra Millard, S, S. Caldwell, Joseph N. Field, J. D. Brown, R. A. Brown, Thomas Martin and A. J. Simpson. The present board of directors are Ezra Millard, J. H. Millard, J. J. Brown, A. J. Simpson and William Wallace. The bank has at present a surplus capital of $100,000. In 1877 the bank retired one half of its $180,000 circulation, leaving $90,000 outstanding.

The State Bank of Nebraska was organized and commenced business June 1, 1870. The board of directors were Alvin Saunders, Enos Lowe, Samuel E. Rogers, A. D. Jones, Jonas Gise, John R. Porter, J. Weightman, C. H, Downs and J. A. Horbach. The capital stock is $100,000, one half of which was paid in and the remainder paid from the profits, This was the first state bank organized in Nebraska, as well as the first instituted under the amended banking law of the state, which permitted them to receive deposits in excess of two thirds of the capital stock. Alvin Saunders was its first president, J. R. Porter, vice president, and B. B, Wood, cashier. June 5, 1876, Mr. Saunders retired from the presidency of the bank, and Frank Murphy was elected to succeed him. In 1871, Enos Lowe was elected vice president of the bank he was succeeded by Samuel E. Rogers, June 5, 1876. July 15, 1874, Luther Drake became assistant cashier.

The Nebraska National Bank was opened in April, 1882, with a paid up capital of $25,000, and the following directors: S, R. Johnson, A. E, Touzalin, W. V. Morse, John S. Collins, James M, Woolworth, Lewis S, Reed and Henry W. Yates,

The United States National Bank, through succession to Barrows, Millard & Co., and Millard, Caldwell & Co., the oldest bank in the State of Nebraska, after almost forty years as a national bank has become one of the two largest Omaha banks. Charles W. Hamilton, S. S, Caldwell, Milton T. Barlow and V. B. Caldwell have been the men to whom the credit for the success of this institution mainly reflects. The record of Ex-Senator Joseph H. Millard of over half a century service with the Omaha National Bank has been one of the landmarks of American banking. The First National Bank has continued to be one of the larger institutions of Omaha, with F. H. Davis in more recent years serving as president.

In 1882 the old firm of J, A. Ware & Company was reorganized and came out as the Merchants National. The service of H. W. Yates as cashier and president of the Nebraska National Bank is another landmark record in Nebraska banking annals. Newer banks in Omaha, were the City National, which operated for a decade or more prior to its purchase by the younger State Bank of Omaha, organized in 1912 the Corn Exchange National Bank, 1909, and the Central State, and Commercial State, organized in 1916. South Omaha has the very strong South Omaha Savings Bank, 1888 Packers National Bank, 1890 Live Stock National Bank, 1907 Stock Yards National Bank, organized under its present name in 1911 and succeeding to the old Union Stock Yards National, The service of H. C. Bostwick, as president of this bank is another of the credit marks of the Nebraska banking profession. The Security State in 1914 is the junior bank down there. Omaha has had a long list of defunct banks, in between the two extremes pictured in this review, of the struggling pioneer banks and the solidly established financial bulwarks of today.

Lincoln. The pioneer establishment was that of James Sweet & Brock, dating from 1868. It was built in the southwest corner of the Sweet block, the first block built on the plat of Lincoln. In 1,871 it was reorganized into the State Bank of Nebraska. Nelson C. Brock, of this firm, died in Lincoln in March, 1921.

The First National Bank of Lincoln received its charter, to do business on February 24, 1871. It was the successor of a private bank founded by Judge Amasa Cobb and J. F. Sudduth, president and cashier. In 1874, John Fitzgerald became president and John R. Clark, cashier. In 1889 a consolidation was - effected with the American Exchange National Bank, when S. H. Burnham became president. It later took in the Columbia National. Now with the First Savings Bank and First Trust Company, this concern is one of the strongest of Nebraska. Lincoln has had many banks come and go since the old First National started in. Banks which are no longer on the active list are: State National, 1872 Lincoln National, 1882, consolidated in 1892 into First National Marsh Brothers & Mosher banking house was a leading factor in the defalcation of Joseph Bartley, state treasurer, and the president of this institution landed in the Federal Penitentiary as a cure for his style of banking Lancaster County Bank, 1877 Union Savings Bank, 1886 Nebraska Savings, 1886 German National, 1886 Industrial Savings, 1891. On the other hand, another group of banks have started in Lincoln that are splendid institutions, The City National began in 1899 National Bank of Commerce, in 1902 Central National in 1907 Nebraska State Bank, 1911 Continental State, formerly German-American, 1909 Lincoln State, 1913, and American State, 1917.

Beatrice. Smith Brothers Bank commenced business in September, 1872, in a small way. Their successor, the First National Bank, was chartered and commenced business in April, 1877. Hon. A. S. Paddock was director in this bank, The Gage County Bank, organized in 1881, was an outgrowth of the private banking business of William Lamb, opened August 1, 1879.

Blair. The private banking business of A. Castetter was opened in 1869. Francis M. Castetter, a son, was manager after 1890, and after his father's death, also president. F. H. Claridge has been president of this bank in recent years, and continued in charge until the sensational failure of this institution in February, 1921, in probably the most stupendous bank failure in many years of Nebraska banking history.

Brownville. The first bank at Brownville has already been spoken of. S. H. Riddle was president and Alexander Hallam cashier. This bank, connected with the Nemaha Valley issue, went down in the storm of 1857, B. F. Lushbaugh and John L. Carson established a private banking house, as Lushbaugh & Carson, January 14, 1857, and this withstood the storms of territorial finance until August 28, 1871, it was succeeded by the newly organized First National Bank of Brownville, of which John L. Carson was the first president. The State Bank of Brownville was organized under state law, October 1, 1870,

Columbus. In July, 1871, Leander Gerrard and Julius A. Reed opened a bank on the north side of town. In May, 1874, Abner Turner and Geo. W. Hulst opened another on the south side. The two banks organized under the name of Columbus State Bank July 28, 1875. The next bank in Columbus was a private bank of Anderson & Reen in 1880.

Crete. The State Bank of Nebraska was organized in Crete in 1872, with Colonel Doane, John Fitzgerald and John R. Clark as incorporators. This was the first bank organized in Saline County, and its first competitor in Crete was in 1879, when the banking company composed of John L. Tidball and Walter Scott started in, and this institution became the Citizens Bank in 1881. The Saline County Bank was organized at Wilber in March, 1878 the Blue Valley Bank there in 1881.

Fairbury. Thomas Harbine's Bank started in 1874 and was the first and in fact the only bank in Jefferson County for some time.

Fremont. E. H. Rogers & Co. established a private bank in July, 1867. In April, 1872, the First National Bank was formed with Theron Nye as president, and E. H. Rogers as cashier. Hopkins & Millard's bank, originally Wilson & Hopkins, starting in 1871, eventually became the Fremont National. George W. E. Dorsey's bank began in December, 1879, and Richard &,Keene's private bank (L. D. Richards and L. M. Keene) opened in 1882.

Grand Island. The pioneer financial institution of Hall County was the old State Central Bank organized in 1871 by Henry A. Koenig, later state treasurer, The Citizens National started in 1887 and the Security National in 1889. These three banks all went under during the trying times of the '90s But the Grand Island National, an outgrowth of the Grand Island Banking Company, organized in 1879, and the First National, organized as such in 1882, from the private bank of C. F, Bentley, started in 1880, have remained and grown during the forty years elapsing.

Kearney. The oldest bank in Kearney was that of L, R. More, established in 1873. The Buffalo County Bank was organized in 1879 to take the place of its predecessor, the Kearney Bank, which failed that year.

Madison. Barnes-Tyrrell, bankers, opened in 1871. F. W. Barnes of this firm was a pioneer of Madison, as he laid out the town in 1870.

Norfolk. J. and C. P. Mathewson opened a bank in 1872 in a small frame building. In 1878 C. P. Mathewson became sole proprietor of that business, and this institution later became the Norfolk National Bank. The next banks to start were the Norfolk Bank, opened by Burrows & Egbert, January 18, 1882, and the Norfolk City Bank, opened February 15, 1882, by I. P, Donaldson & Co.

Pawnee City, The State Bank of Nebraska was established July 26, 1872, It was reorganized later as the Farmers State Bank, and still later as the First National Bank. But as the immediate successor of the Farmers State Bank in 1881, the private banking house of Joy, Eckman & David came in.

Plattsmouth. The first bank in Plattsmouth was that of Tootle & Hanna, opened in 1859 John R. Clark became a partner in 1866, and the firm remained Tootle, Hanna & Clark until 1872, when the First National Bank was organized, with John R. Fitzgerald as president, C. H. Parmalee vice president, John R. Clark cashier, E. G. Dovey and R. G. Cushing and others as directors. This list presents names very prominent in banking and commercial circles in Nebraska. Schuyler. F. E. Frye & Co., the first bankers here, could not survive the storm of 1873. In March, 1874, Sumner, Smith & Co. established a bank. In 1881 it became the Farmers Bank.

Tecumseh. The first banks in Tecumseh were the private house of Russell, Holmes & Co. (W. H. Russell and C. A. Holmes), established in 1371 and about twenty years later becoming the Tecumseh National Bank, and the Farmers Bank, started in 1880.

West Point. Bruner's Bank was organized in 1871, by Bruner, Neligh & Kipp In 1872 it became Bruner & Kipp, and in 1874 became Uriah Bruner's Bank. The next bank was the Elkhorn Valley Bank established in 1875.

York. William McWhister founded a bank in 1875 which became the Commercial State Bank after Sayre & Atkins had operated it a short time. The First National of York was incorporated July 1, 1882.

BUILDING AND LOAN ASSOCIATIONS

One of the peculiarly characteristic achievements of Nebraska's financial history is the part played in her upbuilding by the many building and loan associations organized in the state under the peculiarly encouraging and favorable laws adopted for the purpose of aiding in home building, Hon. Charles F. Bentley of Grand Island, Neb., served in 1907 as president of the National Association of Building and Loan Companies, and with other Nebraska financiers early saw the need of protecting the small borrower and investor from the greed and unsafe methods of many so called national concerns that had sprung up around the country.

Secretary Hart of the state department of trade and commerce is distributing the annual report of the building and loan associations of the state. The pamphlet contains a statement of the condition of each of the seventy four associations in the state, together with a summary of the combined report. Mr. Hart speaks in high terms of their management.

The first building and loan associations in the state were fostered under a law passed in the early history of the state, and for the last twenty eight years they have remained rather constant in number. There are now seventy four, whereas in 1892 there were seventy one. The largest number was eighty six, in 1894, and the lowest was in 1902, when it was forty eight.

The growth in total assets, however, has been tremendous, nearly twenty six times as much as in 1892, when they were three millions. During the last year the increase was twelve millions. Two were granted certificates during the year, the Home at Fairbury and the Globe at Columbus The number of shares has risen from 45,000 in 1892 to 1,917,000 at the present time.

Associations are now located in the following towns and cities: Albion, Alliance, Auburn, Aurora, Beatrice (3), Blair, Bloomfield, Cambridge, Central City, Clay Center, Columbus (3), Crete, David City, Fairbury (2), Falls City, Fremont (2), Grand Island, Hartington, Hastings, Havelock, Holdrege, Hooper, Humboldt, Kearney, Laurel, Lincoln (9), Madison, McCook, Nebraska City, Nelson, Newman Grove (2), Norfolk (2), North Loup, North Platte, Omaha (9), Ord, Platt& mouth (2), Seward, Sidney, Superior, Tecumseh, Trenton, University Place, Valentine, Wahoo, Wilber, Wood River, Wymore, York.

The nine Lincoln associations have assets totaling around twelve million dollars, while the nine in Omaha have assets of about fifty millions. Those with more than a million assets in the state are the State of Beatrice, with $3,023,000 the Nebraska State of Fremont, with nearly three millions the Equitable of Grand Island, with $1,230,000 the Nebraska Central of Lincoln, with $5,512,000 the Union of Lincoln, with $1,422,000 the Norfolk, with $1,239,000 the Mutual of North Platte, with $1,329,000 the Bankers of Omaha, with $1,032,000 the Commercial of Omaha, $1,302,000 the Conservative of Omaha, with $17,259,000 the Nebraska of Omaha, with $1,749,000 the Occidental of Omaha, with $9,013,000 the Omaha, with $16,943,000. Outside of Lincoln and Omaha the total assets are fifteen millions.

Secretary Hart says: "This report shows that practically the same prosperity shown in the 1919 report has continued throughout the year just closed and the increases in receipts and expenditures have again shown a 25 per cent gain and the total assets and liabilities have increased 18 per cent or $12,171,277.84.

"Loans are negotiated only on real estate security or assignment of installment certificates of stock and then only for a conservative margin of the appraised value. This report shows that the loans on real estate averages 48 per cent of the appraised value of the security compared with 53 per cent in 1919. With the return of normal building conditions and the urgent housing conditions now existing, the future activities of these associations will no doubt show greater activity than heretofore. Nebraska is justified in her feeling of pride in being the home of some of the largest and most efficiently managed associations in existence anywhere."


Geschichte

Omaha was founded in 1854 in an area that had been visited by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark in 1804 on their exploratory journey to the Pacific coast and where the pioneer fur trader Manuel Lisa established a trading post during the War of 1812. Westward-bound Mormons spent the winter of 1846–47 there at an encampment that they named Winter Quarters, later called Florence, which was subsequently annexed by Omaha. From 1847 to 1848 Winter Quarters witnessed the beginning of the Mormon migration to what became the state of Utah, but because the west side of the Missouri River was closed to permanent “white” settlement, the Mormons moved the point for subsequent departures to the nearby community of Kanesville, Iowa (renamed Council Bluffs in 1853).

By the time the Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854 opened the area to settlement, Kanesville had become the largely non-Mormon community of Council Bluffs, where a group of entrepreneurs created a company for developing Omaha City, Nebraska Territory. The promoters wanted the capital of the newly created territory to be located directly across the Missouri River, in part at least to influence the builders of the then-projected transcontinental railroad to lay their tracks through or near the new city. Omaha’s backers won the territorial capital for their town, despite the aspirations of Bellevue, a long-established trading post, mission, and Native American agency just south of Omaha.

St. Louis-based steamboats carrying passengers and cargo up the Missouri River linked Omaha to the East. By the 1860s stage lines extended in various directions from the city. Freight wagon trains to Denver and other western points contributed to Omaha’s emerging stature as a transportation and supply centre. In 1863 Pres. Abraham Lincoln essentially designated Omaha–Council Bluffs the eastern terminus of the first transcontinental railroad, which, when completed in 1869, placed Omaha at the eastern end of the country’s first rail link to the West and enhanced its stature as an emerging urban centre. Incorporated as a city in 1857, Omaha had 1,883 residents by the eve of the American Civil War. By 1870 the frontier community had a population of 16,083, a figure that nearly doubled a decade later.

Although Omaha lost its capital status to Lincoln after Nebraska entered the union in 1867, during the next two decades more railroads were built through the city. The bridging of the Missouri River in 1872 helped integrate Omaha–Council Bluffs into a national rail network. Smelting, wholesaling, and other enterprises diversified the economy. The establishment of the Union Stock Yards in 1884 soon brought major meat packers to the suburban community of South Omaha, linking the urban area to a vast rural hinterland. In 1888 a traffic bridge linked Omaha and Council Bluffs, and by 1889 electric streetcar service had been established in and between both cities, further integrating the metropolitan area that was developing on both sides of the Missouri River.

In the 1880s Omaha’s population tripled, but a blizzard in 1888, followed by a succession of drought years and a national depression, halted population growth. Hopes lifted, though, when Omaha was selected as the site to host the Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition of 1898, an event that was meant to revive the region’s economy and alleviate the financial panic of the 1890s. The exposition attracted more than two million people to the city from June to September. Moreover, in August 1898 an Indian congress—uniting hundreds of Native Americans from more than 30 tribes—was also held in Omaha. In the late 1890s, prosperity had returned to Omaha, and by the turn of the century Omaha had a population of about 100,000, while South Omaha had about 26,000 residents. During 1915–17 several suburban communities, including South Omaha, were annexed.

Greater Omaha’s broad-based economy attracted settlers from older parts of the United States as well as numerous immigrants from Europe, notably from Bohemia, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Poland, and Scandinavia in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Many African Americans from the South also had migrated to the Omaha area. This new diversity caused occasional conflicts. An African American man was lynched in 1891, and a riot in 1909 drove South Omaha’s small Greek community from the city. Between 1910 and 1920 the African American population in Omaha doubled. Ethnic tensions, mainly between blacks and whites, escalated in Omaha, as they did throughout the country, especially in the early peacetime years after World War I. This conflict resulted in the lynching of another African American, William Brown, by white rioters in 1919 in front of the Douglas County Courthouse.

The Great Depression of the 1930s brought hardship to Omaha. Präs. Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal provided relief to the city and funded key public projects. For years a local business group had worked to thwart labour unions, and violence accompanied a streetcar strike in 1935. Although the strike failed, the Wagner Act (National Labour Relations Act) of that year heralded federal support for collective bargaining.

The approach of World War II brought the construction of the Glenn L. Martin Company aircraft assembly plant at Fort Crook (now Offutt Air Force Base), adjacent to the small town of Bellevue, on Omaha’s southern outskirts. Aside from boosting the local economy, the plant brought rapid growth to Bellevue. The plant closed in 1945, but in 1948 the advent of the Cold War led to the designation of the plant site as the Strategic Air Command (now U.S. Strategic Command) headquarters. The military presence at the base enhanced the economy of the Omaha area and boosted residential growth in the suburban Sarpy county communities of Gretna, La Vista, and Papillion, all of which lie southwest of Omaha.

Like many U.S. cities, Omaha in the 1950s and ’60s witnessed a strong civil rights movement as African American citizens sought to end discrimination in housing and employment. Poverty and growing militancy among young people, as well as strained police-community relations, contributed to outbreaks of violence. Overt tensions eased in the wake of job programs, civil rights laws, and growing sensitivity among white residents. A federal court ruling that de facto racial segregation prevailed in the Omaha Public Schools led to the busing of students away from neighbourhood schools beginning in 1976 as a means of achieving integration. Mandatory school busing officially ended in 1999 with no consensus as to its value. The Omaha Public School District continued its efforts to improve inner-city education.

By the 1950s Omaha had long been a major food-processing centre. In fact, Omaha surpassed Chicago as the world’s top livestock market in 1955. From the 1960s to the early ’70s, plant obsolescence, labour costs, and pollution problems caused an exodus of major packers from the city. The stockyards closed in 1999, but meatpacking remained a significant part of the local economy the steak survived as an Omaha icon, and the city remained a food-processing innovator. In the meantime, diversity in the local economy, notably the development of information technology enterprises, established the basis for strong economic growth in the 1990s and early 21st century.

By the late 20th century the city’s Hispanic population had begun to grow rapidly. People of European ancestry comprised about four-fifths of Omaha’s population. African Americans made up more than one-tenth of the population, and the remainder were mostly Hispanics and, to a lesser extent, Asians and Pacific Islanders, as well as immigrants from Africa and the Middle East.


Omaha’s Little Italy

In the Fall of 2018 the University of Nebraska-Lincoln&rsquos &ldquoHistory Harvest&rdquo project focused on the Italian-American communities in Nebraska. The main event was held on October 28, 2018, at the Santa Lucia Hall, in the heart of Omaha's historic Little Italy. Partner organizations included the Santa Lucia Festival Committee, the Sons and Daughters of Italy, and the American-Italian Heritage Society.

Seven undergraduate and two graduate students under the guidance of Prof. Gerald Steinacher were looking for diaries, photographs, letters, maps, images, war memorabilia, and other family and cultural heirlooms. &ldquoHarvested&rdquo family artifacts were photographed, digitized and returned to the owners. This exhibition features a selection of items that document the experience of growing up in the immigrant community of Little Italy.

Most Italian immigrants arrived in Omaha before the 1920s and many came from the Sicilian town of Carlentini. The people from Carlentini formed a close-knit community in the new land, held on to many traditions, and kept in touch with relatives and friends left behind in Sicily. The Catholic immigrants also brought the worship of Santa Lucia (Saint Lucy), the patron saint of Carlentini, to their new homeland. Omaha&rsquos Santa Lucia festival was founded in 1925 and has been celebrated ever since. For many Italian-Americans in Omaha this is an expression of the importance of traditions and community.

The history of Little Italy shows how immigrants have always cherished and held on to their culture. Unlike the history of Little Italy communities in cities like New York or Chicago, the history of Little Italy in Omaha is much less known. This is despite there being not one, but three &ldquoItalian colonies&rdquo in this major Midwestern city. In many ways, the lack of awareness about Little Italy in Omaha highlights the often overlooked diversity of Nebraska.

The History Harvest started in 2010 and is co-directed by William Thomas and Patrick Jones, faculty members in the College of Arts and Sciences at Nebraska.

This exhibition highlights select items from the History Harvest about Little Italy in Omaha. To navigate the exhibition, please, click on the image twice in order to enlarge it and see it in high resolution. Not all the texts are translated, but for texts in Italian we aimed to provide at least short summaries of the content.

The complete collection of items is searchable through the search option on the right upper corner.

For questions or to provide additional information on items contact: Prof. Gerald Steinacher at [email protected]

The History Harvest is a digital history project at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln


Schau das Video: The World Comes to Omaha - a Nebraska Story (Oktober 2021).